Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help me figure a roof coating/color
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Krieger
I've been waiting for Mikey's Plexiglas top for 19 months and I'm thinking this group buy will never really happen. I plan on going to Parade and I need a roof. The car is not a daily driver, but it would be nice to have a roof. I have a bone stock ugly one that I'd like to do something with. My car is Guard's Red, but I don't think I'd like to go that route. I was thinking of maybe black or a satiny black. Maybe a wrap like carbon fiber or chrome...? Any ideas or pictures?Click to view attachment
euro911
Yeah, just clean up your old stock roof and paint it flat black if it needs it. I used Mother's 'Back to Black' (?) on my wife's roof ... turned out nice.

Looks like the inside would get cleaned regularly - at least the driver's side poke.gif
DRPHIL914
if the texture is o.k. you can try the back to black that helped mine too!. but i have 2 other tops and would be glad to let you borrow any of my three ( WAS and a custom body color with pop up moon roof are my other 2) but i think i am a bit too far away to help you out!

Krieger
QUOTE(euro911 @ Feb 6 2014, 03:08 AM) *

Looks like the inside would get cleaned regularly - at least the driver's side poke.gif

lol-2.gif I don't fit in the car with a helmet anyway, definitely not with the my secret autocross weapon/aero aid rudder...

Thanks for the offer Phillip. I'm not that big on the textured look either. I have too many subtle changes.
Dave_Darling
The texture, like texture on interior house walls, is there for a reason. The tops are rather less than perfect, and when you get rid of the texture, those imperfections will be much easier to see. So get ready to use a lot of filler and sandpaper on the roof if you smooth it out.

--DD
Krieger
Thanks for that information Dave. How nice does it need to be for a wrap?
Chris Pincetich
paint it to match the lower rockers/valence beerchug.gif

BLACK aktion035.gif
BuddyV
I live right near you......

A couple of years ago I also needed to tidey-up my stock top. Cleaned it, lite sanding (very, very lite..... just to blend the texture on rough spots), and sprayed with (I think) satin black. Off the rack at Home Depot.

It looked awesome..... about as good as any I had seen.

And I found a local source for material to replace the padding on the inside.... all looked stock when I was done. Maybe better (IMHO) dry.gif

Contact me and we can chat. Hell, I need to do another one, maybe I can spray both at the same time.

beerchug.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Krieger @ Feb 6 2014, 08:16 AM) *

Thanks for that information Dave. How nice does it need to be for a wrap?

I don't really know. Probably depends on how smooth the wrap is. And how glossy.

Texture hides a multitude of sins--likewise, so does flat or satin black.

--DD
Krieger
Thanks for the responses guys. Good info. Buddy where are you at?
ThePaintedMan
Keep in mind that if you sand it smooth that it would behoove you to skim coat it with filler anyways. Once the top layer is sanded off, the resin is then exposed to the elements and can/may continue to weep out through the paint over time in the form of small bubbles, unless it is gel-coated again. I personally like the satin black look as the factory intended smile.gif
Krieger
Dang it George I hate weepy tops!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.