Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Who's idea was this?`
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ClayPerrine
It is 17 degrees Fahrenheit and it is Snowing here.

Who had the bright idea to send light, powdery snow to TEXAS?!?!?!

Glad my new job is 100% work from home. I don't have to go out in it.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And for you Yankees that want to tell us that is nothing.... finger.gif Yes, this is a big deal to people who only see snow maybe once a year. We just aren't equipped to deal with it.

76-914
Beautiful; when you ain't in it. biggrin.gif
914itis
Just sharing the wealth,
That's all
DRPHIL914
slap.gif what are you talking about? lol-2.gif , that's just a light dusting poke.gif
i know here in SC we recently had the same thing, last week, only with it some ice, freezing rain, and because there are too many here that cant dive with GOOD weather, they closed down everyting for 2 days. probably a smart idea.
I grew up learning to drive in minnesota, where you still had school unless you had 12" on the ground and blowing , drifting, but, they are equiped for that - so just stay home and enjoy, or go do come cookies in the parking lot with the 914 driving.gif aktion035.gif

Have some fun!
MoveQik
C'mon out to AZ Clay! This was my backyard yesterday :-)
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Feb 6 2014, 08:55 AM) *

slap.gif what are you talking about? lol-2.gif , that's just a light dusting poke.gif
i know here in SC we recently had the same thing, last week, only with it some ice, freezing rain, and because there are too many here that cant dive with GOOD weather, they closed down everyting for 2 days. probably a smart idea.
I grew up learning to drive in minnesota, where you still had school unless you had 12" on the ground and blowing , drifting, but, they are equiped for that - so just stay home and enjoy, or go do come cookies in the parking lot with the 914 driving.gif aktion035.gif

Have some fun!

I grew up in NE Ohio, so I know what you are talking about. But here I don't worry about my ability to drive on snow and ice, I worry about Bubba in the pickup who thinks engaging his four wheel drive he can drive 70 mph.

And I moved back to Texas to get away from this nasty, cold white stuff. mad.gif Y'all can have it back anytime.

Maybe we should send some 115 degree summer days to Minnesota in revenge. happy11.gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Feb 6 2014, 06:57 AM) *

Wow, your grass is amazing!!!
MoveQik
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Feb 6 2014, 08:02 AM) *

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Feb 6 2014, 06:57 AM) *

Wow, your grass is amazing!!!

Hah! Thanks. That is AZ in the winter. We scalp the bermuda grass once is goes dormant in the fall and then we plant rye grass for the winter. Then when it heats up the rye gets choked out as the bermuda comes back in with the heat. We don't shovel snow but we do have to mow year round. dry.gif
reharvey
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 6 2014, 10:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Feb 6 2014, 08:55 AM) *

Have some fun!

I grew up in NE Ohio, so I know what you are talking about. But here I don't worry about my ability to drive on snow and ice, I worry about Bubba in the pickup who thinks engaging his four wheel drive he can drive 70 mph.

And I moved back to Texas to get away from this nasty, cold white stuff. mad.gif Y'all can have it back anytime.

Maybe we should send some 115 degree summer days to Minnesota in revenge. happy11.gif

I'm also from NE Ohio and it's funny to watch a whole city shut down for 2in. of snow. Our lake effect snows can sometimes be 12 to 14in. in one afternoon.
DRPHIL914
i know, Clay, they will get that 90+ in the summer, they have actually had one of the Coldest winters on record this year. I moved to south carolina(hilton head) 20 years ago, but i do like that we get some of all 4 seasons!, nice thing is it does not last long, that will be gone in a day or two. We had 17- 20 with that bad storm a week ago, and yesterday it was 78!! 37 this morning and back to 50-s for the rest of the week. My parents are down there in Texas wintering since the retired a few years ago. They go down to Mustang Island, south padre area for 3 months, getting out of that sub zero weather that Rick is dealing with up there now. - my wife has and aunt and uncle in Scottsdale now, and a year ago we were considering a move to the Prescott AZ area. they have the 4 seasons, some snow butnot the az heat as bad. - and yes you cant fix stupid, so stay away from Bubba and his 4wd!!
Jesco Reient
Oh, That's where it went, we wondering last night where our snow was. The weather man says we may get some snow on Saturday, but we really haven't had enough the last two years.

Stupid snow, it doesn't know how to stay where it is appreciated. Just put a return address on it and put in a box and send it back.
r_towle
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 6 2014, 09:40 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And for you Yankees that want to tell us that is nothing.... finger.gif Yes, this is a big deal to people who only see snow maybe once a year. We just aren't equipped to deal with it.

That may have been my fault.....I was aiming at Woody so he could not ride his harley and keep rubbing it in.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 6 2014, 09:26 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

That may have been my fault.....I was aiming at Woody so he could not ride his harley and keep rubbing it in.

Dude... You missed. Woody is farther south. Typical Yankee, always under estimating the size of Texas. poke.gif
Cap'n Krusty
If Texas were as big as they think it is, they wouldn't have to keep comparing it to the rest of us.

The Cap'n
ConeDodger
We got a light dusting in Reno last night too. Supposed to be more tonight... mad.gif
TheCabinetmaker
6 degrees in T-town this morning. Hi today of 11. We normally get 2 snow falls a winter. This morning was # 15. Three weeks ago it was 76. Crazy winter for sure.
mtn flyr
30 below at my house this morning, in case anybody was wondering......
Steve Snyder
QUOTE(mtn flyr @ Feb 6 2014, 11:45 AM) *

30 below at my house this morning, in case anybody was wondering......

...and yet you are still there...
blink.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 6 2014, 07:36 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 6 2014, 09:26 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Dude... You missed. Woody is farther south. Typical Yankee, always under estimating the size of Texas. poke.gif

Give Tejas an enema and it would wind up smaller than Rhode Island. poke.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(SLITS @ Feb 6 2014, 11:13 AM) *

Give Tejas an enema and it would wind up smaller than Rhode Island. poke.gif

Give Slits an enema and you end up with an empty pile of smelly, dirty clothes. bootyshake.gif
Spoke
It snows in TX once a year so those of us who trek around in it all winter get to see entertaining videos of those who can't figure out how to drive in snow with only 5% of normal traction.
Cfletch
In Santa Barbara a high of 58 and 90% chance of rain. how terrible!!
charlesmac
We had the same fluff in Mississippi last week. Crazy thing is that the further south you went the more you got. Since I work about 60 miles south of central MS, the schools shut down for 3 days for 2" of snow and some ice. Nobody here can figure out how to drive in it. 3 days off is great, except for the having to make it up at the end of the school year. dry.gif
r3dplanet
"Yankees" like us in the PNW think it's hilarious when those in more southern latitudes get the teensiest bit of snowfall. IT"S A SNOWPACALYPSE! IT"S A CATEGORY 10 DEATH STORM! Where's all that Texas survivalist machismo now? Maybe it's hiding under their big, ugly hats.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(r3dplanet @ Feb 6 2014, 12:25 PM) *

"Yankees" like us in the PNW think it's hilarious when those in more southern latitudes get the teensiest bit of snowfall. IT"S A SNOWPACALYPSE! IT"S A CATEGORY 10 DEATH STORM! Where's all that Texas survivalist machismo now? Maybe it's hiding under their big, ugly hats.

We think its halarious when Yankees start complaining about the heat on an 80 degree day.

You want to see a tough Texan? Come here on July 4th and march with the 80 year old members of the Knights of Columbus in black wool suits while they walk in a 5 mile long parade in the sun on a 105 degree day.

It's all in what you are used to and have experience with.
Mikey914
-26 last night.
My lungs burned to walk around the plane. Thank god next week is San Diego

GeorgeRud
Here's the view from my office today! Porsche has to stay hidden away for another two months, so we can only dream of green grass and clear roads.Click to view attachment
TeenerTim

I heard someone from Alaska tell a Texan to shut up about their size or Alaska would split into two states and make Texas the third largest state in the union. stirthepot.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(TeenerTim @ Feb 6 2014, 02:04 PM) *

I heard someone from Alaska tell a Texan to shut up about their size or Alaska would split into two states and make Texas the third largest state in the union. stirthepot.gif

Yes, Alaska is bigger. But there are almost no roads there. We actually drive cars, not snow mobiles. biggrin.gif
jfort
got it cleared out. plow came by and made a barrier that I thought my Mercedes could blast through. WRONG! beached with wheels off the ground. gotta love Ohio winters. Porsches warm and dry.

Click to view attachment
saigon71
I remember it snowing in Texas while in basic training years ago...everybody said how rare it was!

Dug out from the ice storm yesterday. Temps hit 32 today so there are mounds of ice forming in the neighborhood:

Click to view attachment

Made for some nice scenery:

Click to view attachment

worn
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 6 2014, 06:40 AM) *

I don't think it has been above 17 here for the past 3 weeks. Being equipped for it isn't the point. It is the fact that you very quickly have to learn opposite lock steering, and most don't when they aren't used to snow. At least I bet you don't get a big ass fine if you don't get out and clear your walk the next morning (and my neighbors are happy to rat on me).
But here is one for you, caution cuss words.
http://youtu.be/AmfwHqRW-Ko
I hope this pastes. Here the ice must be at least a couple feet thick over the lake.
Scott S
This is my 5'10" bride in the driveway on Friday.....

80, 90, 100 are not any big deal here, as we have zero humidity.
SLITS
Well Chit .... we get the white stuff tonight.
r_towle
QUOTE(Scott S @ Feb 6 2014, 05:27 PM) *

Might want to widen that driveway a hair....geez.
flippa
QUOTE(r3dplanet @ Feb 6 2014, 11:25 AM) *

"Where's all that Texas survivalist machismo now? Maybe it's hiding under their big, ugly hats.

av-943.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif
Scott S
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 6 2014, 08:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Scott S @ Feb 6 2014, 05:27 PM) *

Might want to widen that driveway a hair....geez.

It's 2+ across. Just did enough to get the truck inside. I love the seasons we have here - including the snow. But I am not crazy. if there are mutiple feet and a shovel involved, I do the bare minimum!
somd914
Suby + 280 HP + snow = a hell of a lot fun.

Heading to work last week drifting through every corner and driving sideways. Meanwhile the locals were crawling along at 5-10 MPH in 3" of snow and were fearing for their lives.

My younger years were spent in the Midwest and Rockies where we drove in snow prior to the days of front wheel drive, all wheel drive, ABS, traction control, stability control, etc.

Let it snow... But let's have spring soon!
orthobiz
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 6 2014, 11:04 AM) *

If Texas were as big as they think it is, they wouldn't have to keep comparing it to the rest of us.

The Cap'n

Somehow I don't fully understand this but I think it's quotable and clever.

Paul
orthobiz
Back in NY in college in the 70's I would throw the car in first gear, get out and push my 914 and jump in when it grabbed some traction. Lots of fun as I remember it.

Paul
Slink
Winter is half over and NJ has had over 40 inches, which is twice the usual for
the entire winter. I remember a blizzard in 1980 driving home from work in the
914 on the NJ Turnpike, after getting off the exit to get on the Parkway, I found it
closed at the Raritan Bridge. The 914 got me to a friends house, while other cars were
stuck. I always felt the 914 handled well snow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.