Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil leak at input area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxsterfan
I can't really tell for sure, but my gut feels like there is leaking at the base of the oil input area. This would be what is labeled as #7 in this exploded parts diagram borrowed from AA.

IPB Image
http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/h...;section=114-05

This part is held to the engine via "bale wire" just like the valve covers are. I actually replaced the gasket labeled as #10 in the diagram but still seems like this area is leaking some. Note: My bale wire holding this piece in does feel tight and snug and took some "muscle/effort" to get on there.
McMark
I use a small amount of sealant on the cork gasket since it is prone to leaking.
76-914
agree.gif + it keeps it in place so it won't slide out of place.
ThePaintedMan
Could also be the o-ring that seals the filler tower to the to box itself. A pushrod tube seal works well here. Or, possibly the o-ring that seals the cap to the filler tower. Both parts are available from Pelican.
McMark
Good call, George. I also pull off the funnel and clean. Then reassemble with a sealant there as well.

Also your PCV valve (if you have that version) should be pulled and sealed to the housing.
SLITS
PCV valve plugged / non functional

Excessive blowby

New gasket

Bail not providing sufficient pressure to hold oil filler/breather in place
JawjaPorsche
914Rubber sells an oil tower gasket that is slightly thicker than OEM as over time the spring will stretch. This will but a good tension on the gasket and stop it from leaking without trying to bend the spring to get the original tension back.

http://shop.914rubber.com/914-Oil-tower-gasket-914OTG.htm
stugray
There are also different "#7"s out there.

I have two and they are slightly different.

Maybe you have the wrong one?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.