Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS 1976 Porsche 914 2.0L Price Reduced
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
grburg
Very original 76 914 2.0. $10,000 - ***PRICE REDUCED AGAIN***
Located in Phoenix, AZ

I have owned this car for close to 20 yrs, I believe I'm the 3rd owner. It's been garaged or covered since I've owned it. It was a daily driver for many years but hasn't been driven much in the past 10. I don't want the car to deteriorate and I don't have time to dedicate to it anymore so that is why I'm selling.

The car overall is in very good condition but as expected of a car nearly 40yrs old it needs minor attention. The engine runs strong and was tuned up 2 yrs ago. It passed California smog at the time. The paint is good but has a few small scratches. Very small rust damage throughout..mostly the battery tray..like most. The tray is gone but rust hasn't moved to the body or frame.

The car is very original. It even still has the original windshield from Germany.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=435
808]
grburg
PRICE REDUCED
mtndawg
Nice car. Unfortunately in California '76 requires smog cert, as you've indicated.
pete000
I agree in CA a 76 914 would be quite the challenge to pass the smog man's evil wand!

idea.gif
grburg
It did pass smog in CA as recent as 2 yrs ago. I had it checked several months before I moved to AZ
PancakePorsche
No worries folks, my 76 daily driver has continued to pass every time here in California without trickery. This is first signal orange 76 I have ever seen !
billh1963
At that price point you need to show pictures of the trunks, hell hole, batter tray, floor boards, and jack points......
Tom_T
QUOTE(pete000 @ Feb 19 2014, 01:32 PM) *

I agree in CA a 76 914 would be quite the challenge to pass the smog man's evil wand!

idea.gif

The issue with a 76 914 is not whether it can pass the CA smog, since they pass easily when in proper factory spec tune & smog equipment is present & operating properly, as was the case for several other 75-76 owners I know/knew did with theirs.

The REAL problem[b] is/will be when & if you ever need to replace the smog control parts, since they're mostly NLA.

75 & 76 2.0s both have the same CA smog equipment & tune, it's just that the 75 slipped under the wire before the "rolling 30 year old smog exemption" got cancelled by Sierra Club & others' lobbying the legislature, and frozen at the 75 MY then in effect.

So wrecked 75-76 2Ls could be a parts bin, as well as running 75 2Ls willing to risk if CA ever decides to inspect older cars - cuz technically you're still supposed to have all CA smog equipt. required for that particular MY (or a newer MY for engine swaps - even on later MYs than 75) on or installed & connected, working & operable on all cars/trucks back to 68 MY. Also any outside CA 76 2Ls not worried about CA.

My advice to any CA buyer of a 76 914 is to have a local mechanic knowledgeable in 914s to get them tuned right & smogged to pass the test (preferably one at a "STAR station" smog test who can both test & tune/repair).

Also, since it looks like this 76 914 was never registered outside of CA, IIRC the seller is still responsible to get it CA smog certified within 90 days of a sale at their cost under state law (look at the CA DMV & CARB websites for sale of vehicles & required smog at sale/re-registration events).

So my advice to the seller once you have a buyer, is to make a trip to the nearest AZ 914 mechanic to set the tune to CA specs then go to a Barstow, Yuma or Needles STAR station for the smog - or go back to your former hometown & mechanic/smog station to resmog it, since you cannot get out of the requirement of seller re-smog for the sale even when living out of state AFAIK (unless you register it in AZ or out-of-state at a cost there). Again, check that at the Ca DMV & CARB websites, &/or make some calls to those agencies.

Also FYI in general on 76 914s - there is a different rule for out of state (49 state) 914s, in that they only needed to have their "first sold new state's" smog equipment on, working & pass that state's smog level - IIRC from another really nice lo-mile yellow 76 listed on here in `12-13, which had the 49 state equipment (which was when I learned of that specific "exemption" after raising a similar alarm.

PS - back in the day all MY 70-76 914s had to pass CA smog, most all did regularly with a little fresh tune-up 7/or tweaking by a good mechanic, & my 73 2L always did up thru 86, when I just stored it in my garage pending repairs/resto. Porsche/VW actually did a pretty good job of making these T-IV & 2L -6's pretty durable, easy to meet CA smog limits per MY, & powerful within the smog restraints & technology of the day - the EFI playing a big part in that ability!

Looks like a nice one - Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
rjames
Very nice looking car.
I don't mean to distract from you posting, but I thought all late model cars ('75 and '76) had black button gauges and yours appears to be silver. Was the original replaced, or did the silver button gauges appear on the later cars, too?

[quote]Click to view attachment[quote]
rjames
double post removed.
grburg
I will take some more pictures this weekend and post
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
grburg
bump
grburg
..bump
grburg
Price reduced
orthobiz
1976, should be Nepal Orange. Don't believe Signal Orange was offered. Good luck with your sale. Discussions like this about smog make me glad I'm not in California. Then again, it was 4 below zero a couple of days ago so why am I in Michigan???

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.