Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mmmm...subtle flares. How and who?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RazorbackFan78
Okay, so here's a new thread because I resurrected an old one that was off topic...yes I should've known better pray.gif

Just wanting to know a little bit more about this style of fender work on the blue car.

Is this custom work or an aftermarket replacment? I don't think I've seen anything close to this in my 10 months of stalking in the forums. But my first impression is that I really like it. Subtle but still curvy. If it's custom, who among us would be doing this type of work...I imagine rolling fenders is a bit of a lost art nowadays.

IPB Image
cwpeden
Need more info....maybe a pic
RazorbackFan78
headbang.gif DAMN IT!!!! It shows the pic when I preview, then when I go back in it's gone. Bare with me folks...so help me I'm going to save it, load it, and attach it my g-d self!!!
effutuo101
pic shows now.
wes
I like the look!
toolguy
looks like a 911sc rear flair
Dave_Darling
Look for pictures of "GTEENER". The Cap'n can tell you about how that one was done.

We've also seen pictures of VW Rabbit flares used on a 914, and it was similar but I think a bit less subtle.

--DD
mgp4591
Flares that keep the 914 look "not circular" seem to fit our cars the best. The more I look at my little forlorn NARP the more I appreciate the original design. Flares in keeping those lines seem to fit the cars the best! shades.gif IMHO...
boxsterfan
I'm keeping my 914 as a narrow body because sooner or later there won't be any narrow body cars left after you guys get through adding flares to all the cars.

I will then have a $100,000+ car on my hands. Mu-ha-ha-ha-ha!!! smoke.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Feb 6 2014, 04:50 PM) *

I'm keeping my 914 as a narrow body because sooner or later there won't be any narrow body cars left after you guys get through adding flares to all the cars.

Then again, if you do the flares with Dzuz fasteners you can take them off and replace them with stock fenders on the same fasteners, thereby creating the illusion of a narrow bodied car thus negating your $100,000 teener! All part of my plan... happy11.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Feb 6 2014, 06:50 PM) *

No you won't, not in your lifetime, sorry.
carr914
QUOTE(toolguy @ Feb 6 2014, 05:08 PM) *

looks like a 911sc rear flair

agree.gif

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Feb 6 2014, 06:42 PM) *

Flares that keep the 914 look "not circular" seem to fit our cars the best. The more I look at my little forlorn NARP the more I appreciate the original design. Flares in keeping those lines seem to fit the cars the best! shades.gif IMHO...

I think it is because we are so acustomed to the GT Flares
dlkawashima
Wish I'd gotten a better pic of the rear flares on this one. I believe the flares followed the original shape of the wheel opening, just bumped out a bit. IIRC, the owner said the flares were done a long time ago by a company called Metal Masters.

IPB Image
worn
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Feb 6 2014, 03:42 PM) *

To me it is the best design ever penned. I remember seeing one for the first time as i walked through seattle winter rain. It had a ski rack. My son likes driving them but not the looks. So maybe you should get a dino. The car named after the son of the man who would not badge it with his own name. Now that might bring money without flares. I am so glad i like what i have.
RazorbackFan78
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 6 2014, 04:21 PM) *

Look for pictures of "GTEENER". The Cap'n can tell you about how that one was done.

We've also seen pictures of VW Rabbit flares used on a 914, and it was similar but I think a bit less subtle.

--DD

LOL I did a Members search for GTEENER and it's over 7pages of topics. One topic alone was dbl digit page count (Oil Cooler thread). After two hours I'm not seeing any flared pics. What am I missing? I'm gonna try searching on Member FERG since he posted the only copy of this car that I've seen so far.

But first I'm going to get some sleep. Zzzz Zzzz
Cairo94507
I love the stock look and the GT flares. But for me, unless I was building a car that I was going to track and be aggressive with, they draw a bit to much attention to the car. I really like the Tangerine Racing flares as they are so subtle that unless you know these cars you may not realize the car is flared. If my car was not being built stock-bodied, then these are the flares I would have put on the car hands down:

http://tangerineracing.com/exterior_panels.htm

Good luck with your project.
dlestep
Personally, I am tired of the GT flares, even though I have them.
Only GTs had those flares.
Everyone else had flares that were rounded, less obtrusive, and integrated nicely with the narrow body.
Tire widths were controlled for 4 and 6 entries at that time, in certain classes.
The 4s had to run stock, so Ginther, removed blades from the boxer rear fan to free up some hp.
It also had a modified stock sump with oil additional return hoses from the heads back to the deeper stock sump.
They also added spring-loaded screws to mount the carbs to reduce vibration and added rubber extensions to
stagger the velocity stacks.
Check the rear flare on Ginther's prepared car, see attached:
Click to view attachment
pvollma
If you're looking for flares to clear wider tires, a good body man, using a hammer and dolly, can work very subtle changes in the wheel opening. The shop that prepared my SCCA GT-3 car did just that to clear the racing tires at the rear. No metal or fiberglass was added, just patient re-shaping by someone who knew what they were doing (pictures show the car on street tires).
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
Ok, you guys with gt flares ain't gonna like this:

I have always thought the gt flares are just butt ugly. Ruins the body lines, which were perfect to begin with. I know they have a function on a race car, but I don't think they had looks in mind when they were designed.

Just my opinion.
RazorbackFan78
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Feb 7 2014, 09:56 AM) *

I have always thought the gt flares are just butt ugly. Ruins the body lines, which were perfect to begin with. I know they have a function on a race car, but I don't think they had looks in mind when they were designed.

Just my opinion.

Curt, What do you think about the subtle flares on the first pic I posted at the top of the thread? Do you think they're too distracting from the original lines of the car? When I came across that picture my first thought was "those are probably the most natural looking flares I've seen so far".

PS. How's the weather over there? Any progress on my car or is everything on hold until I can drive over for cleanup duty? Im keeping my fingers crossed that next Saturday's forecast stays in the 50's with no snow for miles biggrin.gif
mittelmotor
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 7 2014, 04:52 AM) *

I love the stock look and the GT flares. But for me, unless I was building a car that I was going to track and be aggressive with, they draw a bit to much attention to the car. I really like the Tangerine Racing flares as they are so subtle that unless you know these cars you may not realize the car is flared. If my car was not being built stock-bodied, then these are the flares I would have put on the car hands down:

http://tangerineracing.com/exterior_panels.htm

Good luck with your project.

I think Tangerine's solution is pretty cool too. Anyone have a shot of those flares on a painted, finished car?
maxwelj
I always liked Dr Evil's flares before the car's demise. I couldnt find a finished pic of it, but here is an old thread with a few different treatments .
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...37&hl=flare

Good luck!
campbellcj
QUOTE(mittelmotor @ Feb 7 2014, 09:17 AM) *

I think Tangerine's solution is pretty cool too. Anyone have a shot of those flares on a painted, finished car?

I have the Tangerine flares and love how they look. I am not a fan of the boxy GT flare look, and didn't want to go extreme like Sheridan fiberglass on this car. I like the idea of having the main tub be all metal and I do have fiberglass on the bumpers, lids and a skin roof to reduce weight up high.

Cosmetically the Tangerine flares look stock from a straight-on side view or slight angle, but have a nice bulge and stance from other angles. So they have a "sleeper" aspect to them.

My only grief/regret is the clearance does not allow for as much wheel/tire as I wanted. I'd hoped to get 275's in back but can only fit 245's (Hoosiers though, which run wider than most other tires.) I have 8's and 9's on the car.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
MoveQik
Mine might be too subtle for you as they only allow 8" wheels out back but it is a huge improvement over what you can get under a stock fender. It's sort of a more mellow version of the Tangerine fenders(which I love!). Like theirs, mine retains the factory lines and from the side, it looks totally stock.
RazorbackFan78
LOL I didn't intend for this to turn into GT vs Non-GT thread but hey I'm pretty easy-going beerchug.gif
So anyways back on task...
Thanks for everyone's feedback and helping me chase down a few pictures and links. It seems safe for me to say the car originaly pictured had SC flares on the rear and probably fronts also. (I just followed a link to rennspd and their sc flares look identical).
Hooray for the internet smilie_flagge24.gif
RazorbackFan78
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Feb 7 2014, 11:48 AM) *

Mine might be too subtle for you as they only allow 8" wheels out back but it is a huge improvement over what you can get under a stock fender. It's sort of a more mellow version of the Tangerine fenders(which I love!). Like theirs, mine retains the factory lines and from the side, it looks totally stock.

Michael, they're definitely more subtle than the SC flares but not too subtle for me. In fact, they look really good!!! I won't be throwing 8's under my car and I really doubt I'll get into AX. I just want to DRIVE the bejesus out of my car and enjoy the smiles on people's faces as they see it drive by. Did you do the work yourself?
mittelmotor
Thanks for posting the pics, Mike & Chris. Both your cars look amazing! piratenanner.gif pray.gif
RazorbackFan78
QUOTE(mittelmotor @ Feb 7 2014, 12:35 PM) *

Thanks for posting the pics, Mike & Chris. Both your cars look amazing! piratenanner.gif pray.gif

Agreed! I especially like Chris's custom tail lights drooley.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(RazorbackFan78 @ Feb 7 2014, 11:13 AM) *

Michael, they're definitely more subtle than the SC flares but not too subtle for me. In fact, they look really good!!! I won't be throwing 8's under my car and I really doubt I'll get into AX. I just want to DRIVE the bejesus out of my car and enjoy the smiles on people's faces as they see it drive by. Did you do the work yourself?

Thanks! No, I did not do the work...this would be worlds beyond any of my skills! These had to be cut and pulled to fit 8's. You can stretch them without cutting if you want to run 7's.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(RazorbackFan78 @ Feb 7 2014, 10:52 AM) *

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Feb 7 2014, 09:56 AM) *

Just my opinion.

Curt, What do you think about the subtle flares on the first pic I posted at the top of the thread? Do you think they're too distracting from the original lines of the car? When I came across that picture my first thought was "those are probably the most natural looking flares I've seen so far".

PS. How's the weather over there? Any progress on my car or is everything on hold until I can drive over for cleanup duty? Im keeping my fingers crossed that next Saturday's forecast stays in the 50's with no snow for miles biggrin.gif

Matt, I do like the sc flares. I've seen a car with non sc 911 flares too and really like them too. I have some pics somewhere. I'll look.

Its cold here too. Suspose to be 39 tomorrow. woohoo! first time above freezing in 10 days. I've been doing some engine cleaning. I'll finish up that tomorrow and then start replacing seals. I have plenty to do on the car so the dirty engine bay is not holding me up. I ain't afraid of that dirt and grease anyway.

btw, don't preview the post when its a pic, just post
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Feb 7 2014, 11:48 AM) *

These look very similar to Richard Fischers(sp) v-8 car. very nice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.