Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leak at the taco Plate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisReale
Recently, I upgraded my oil temp sensor and gauge with a new VDO unit boldblue.gif . I thought I had the taco plate installed right, because I saw no oil on the ground after I was done. Now, a few days later, I have a puddle of oil pain30.gif . I Know that it is inevitable that this is a leak point, but what steps can I do to make sure the plate is sealed properly? The gasket is new, so I dont want to replace that. Should I use a silicone based grease? My plate actually is not taco shaped yet, and I would like to keep it that way, but I only tightened the two screws down by hand. How tight should I torque them? Any "secrets" would be appreciated beer.gif BTW, these smilies are kool!
Brad Roberts
Do you have the copper crush gaskets on the 10mm headed little bolts ?? Your plate should have 5 different sealing methods:

1. rubber O ring
2.paper gasket for cover plate
3. copper crush gasket for one of the 10mm's
4. THE other crush gasket for the other 10mm
5. Copper crush gasket for the sending unit

You should torque them to at least 10ft lbs.

B
ChrisReale
Thanks Brad, Ill do a run through of the things you listed.
campbellcj
Coincidentally mine is leaking a bit too (just did the sender about 10 days ago). Pesky little bugger, all the seals and crush washers looked OK. I dunno where it is dripping from yet, gotta stick my head under there for a closer look.

On my last car, I munged up the paper gasket and just put a little strip of blue RTV in its place (blink.gif) Worked fine...
Dave Cawdrey
My wife's TACO is leaking, too. ohmy.gif She says its b/c of being pregnant. smlove2.gif
Drums66
I think you told us more than we wanted to know! ohmy.gif
Brad Roberts
Dave was never known for being smooth.

B
Chris H.
Plus he's addicted to POR-15. laugh.gif
Zeke
You need this. Not quite finished,but you will be able to tighten this sucker down. I'ts clearanced for the O-ring when it bottoms out. We're just waiting for a 14mm tap we ordered.
Zeke
How do you do multiple images? BTW, I will also tap for autometer sending units and others, so you are not locked into VDO.
ChrisReale
Zeke, I saw your post awhile ago about this. I want one. I cannot seem to recall the tap size for the stock sender. When do you think you will have these for sale? It looks great. beerchug.gif
Zeke
Stock and VDO are both 14mm x 1.5. Others are SAE sizes. I will do any size. Availability is 30-60 days out.
L8Apex
hehe, finally. "Secret of the Ooze" i was wonder what that was from!

IPB Image
ChrisReale
QUOTE(Zeke @ Jan 28 2003, 04:14 PM)
Stock and VDO are both 14mm x 1.5. Others are SAE sizes. I will do any size. Availability is 30-60 days out.

Cool! Ill take one when available, and I am sure Korijo will want one after he see's it. Five bucks says he does...the guy is unstoppable
Dave Cawdrey
Yup, put me on your list.

Dropped the tin off for powder coat today clap56.gif . Pics next week.

BTW my final, last minute decision on color scheme is:

Olympic Blue w/ POR 15 gloss black (tin is gloss black, they dont have P-15 powders wink.gif )
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.