Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any New York City folks on board?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ptravnic
Had the beast in Hoboken for a few years but live in the city now and am a little nervous about the viability of keeping it in the city. Anyone else done it? unsure.gif
dmilzoff
Live in Westchester, my daughter in Brooklyn. Don't know how you keep a car in Manhattan. I will be at the PCA AX this weekend on Long Island. Do you AX?
Bleyseng
The guy that has the 3rd to last 914 made lives in NYC. Ever met him?
Geoff
Jeroen
I thought that guy lived in Atlanta... oh wait, he has the VERY LAST 914 made biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
Bleyseng
GH has the "last six" but that is not counting the one made in 75. Does anybody know what happened to that one? Anyway to ask the European clubs?
Geoff
Part Pricer
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ May 28 2003, 08:44 AM)
GH has the "last six" but that is not counting the one made in 75. Does anybody know what happened to that one?

I have that car. It is parked in my barn right next to my Grasshopper. cool.gif
Jeff Bonanno
i got rid of all my cars/motorcycles when moving into the city (lived there for years before coming to san diego last winter). in retrospect, it was a good move. as you know, parking on the street is anywhere from impossible to outright dangerous unless you are springing for a full time spot in a parking garage (it's very easy to tell the difference between a full time nyc car and a jersey/long island car from all the dings and dents).

if i was going back there with a 914, i would be looking for someone with a garage or warehouse spot to rent over in greenpoint or the brooklyn heights area, depending on where i was in the city. easy access on the train and relatively safe (i used to live on 63rd and york and park my girlfriend's car on frost street/graham ave in greenpoint). you would be able to work on the car there and store it until you needed it.

good luck - if it wasn't so beautiful here, i would be back in the city in a heartbeat!
nynone4
My First Post!

I sold my last '73 2.0 Litre to an architect from the city named Sam Nadib who flew out here and drove the car back. Last I heard he was planning to drive the car year round in the city.... Ouch!!!! Guess I ought to have a backround check before I sell another car like that....
ptravnic
I'm not an AX-er. At least not yet... The car is not set up to do so. I have no intention of keeping it on the street - I live @ 39th & Lex & my block is consulate parking & I doubt an orange 914 would pass as a consulates ride driving.gif There's an outdoor lot @ 59th & the west side for $200 per month. I have a lead on a spot just over the Queensboro bridge (no toll!) that may work out. I'll write more later - would like to know of this guy with the 3rd to last 914 ever made is. I've met no one w/a 914 in the city. Would like to though - birds of a feather...
Bleyseng
He used to post on Rennlist but I have forgotten his name.
I can try to find him.
Geoff
vortrex
I was just there this weekend, I think I was near your area. the first thing I thought was, "I would never own a car here". I'm talking any car, I cannot imagine someone using a 914 as a daily driver in manhattan. I agree with the other poster, get an indoor warehouse spot outside manhattan, but not an awful trip to get there.

I'm in the same situation in philly, just does not seem possible/practicle to get a 914. the insurance is outrageous and the roads are like nothing I've ever seen before. guess I could put a lift kit on it...
yarin
I'm from upper Westchester. I'll probably be at the Robert Plan MetroNY PCA autox this Sunday. My brother and I AutoX/DE his white 89 944 turbo.

I'm currently in the market for a 914 so if anyone has any leads in the northeast be sure to let me know. Thanks!
seanery
Yarin,

I would highly recomend a California car. I lived out there and it's fairly easy to find a really, really clean example. Everything I've seen here is either rusty or restored.

There are folks in the club that sell cars and look at cars if you ask.

Good Luck,
Sean Lee
74 2.7-6
72 2.0
ptravnic
The car is purely a guilty pleasure (i believe this makes me a masochist) - not a daily driver. A weekend toy. If I could get a space where I could do light work I'd be all over it - anyone know any leads? A spot may be available to me a few stops into Queens from Grand Central (3 blocks away) which would be easily accessable. $150 a month, garaged but not a place to work on it.

Yarin - email me. There certainlly are opportunities for 914's in the area. I've come to respect Rick DeMann who runs what I consider a reputable shop in Nyack. Also, there's a few guys who are knee deep in 914-6 conversions in Conn.

There are some incredible driving areas nearby - Rt 17a up around Woodbury commons, Bear Mtn, etc... The types of roads 914's where made for. I'm sure the California guys have it better but I'll take what I can get.

Owning a car is not all that practical in Manhattan - I understand this. I cannot part with my wheels - something inbred in me. I may have a different perspective come the end of the summer....

I'll not be attending the weekend autocross - my mode of transport is public, pedal, or 2 foot express right now. Should be able to get the car back in town in a couple weeks. boldblue.gif
fuch toy
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ May 28 2003, 02:46 PM)
He used to post on Rennlist but I have forgotten his name.
I can try to find him.
Geoff

You thinking of the the crazy Russian? Steve Milo?
Bleyseng
No, not Milo. He was a pretty nice guy when I met him on the yodilo event. Milo's car wasn't a 76 that I remember.
Geoff
aufaber
QUOTE(ptravnic @ May 27 2003, 07:14 PM)
Had the beast in Hoboken for a few years but live in the city now and am a little nervous about the viability of keeping it in the city. Anyone else done it? unsure.gif

When I lived up in the Bay Area "The City" was San Fransisco. Down here it's LA, though.. you never realy leave "city" around LA.. too sprawling.
seanery
Not til you're either in the ocean or the desert have you left the city in LA!
yarin
QUOTE(ptravnic @ May 28 2003, 06:28 PM)
The car is purely a guilty pleasure (i believe this makes me a masochist) - not a daily driver. A weekend toy. If I could get a space where I could do light work I'd be all over it - anyone know any leads? A spot may be available to me a few stops into Queens from Grand Central (3 blocks away) which would be easily accessable. $150 a month, garaged but not a place to work on it.

Yarin - email me. There certainlly are opportunities for 914's in the area. I've come to respect Rick DeMann who runs what I consider a reputable shop in Nyack. Also, there's a few guys who are knee deep in 914-6 conversions in Conn.

There are some incredible driving areas nearby - Rt 17a up around Woodbury commons, Bear Mtn, etc... The types of roads 914's where made for. I'm sure the California guys have it better but I'll take what I can get.

Owning a car is not all that practical in Manhattan - I understand this. I cannot part with my wheels - something inbred in me. I may have a different perspective come the end of the summer....

I'll not be attending the weekend autocross - my mode of transport is public, pedal, or 2 foot express right now. Should be able to get the car back in town in a couple weeks. boldblue.gif

Yeah the roads around here are wonderful!

Rick Deman worked on my brother's 944 turbo a few months ago. I would highly reccommend him to anyone who needs anything porsche related done. He has built just about every single race car platform out there from monster 914s, to insane 911s. His shop it littered with crazy projects and customer race cars. If you want ideas and top quality work definetely go see Rick. http://www.demanmotorsport.com/

Anyway...

If you know of anyone looking to sell a car definetely drop me a line. I'm going to email you.

-Yarin (hoping to join the 914 ranks shortly)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.