Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Used Flyheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
I replaced the flywheel, along with the rest of the clutch parts; my mechanic said the flywheel looks OK. So I want to know what to measure/look for to verify it's good for reuse. I can post pics later today. My intent is to sell it at a reasonable $
Cap'n Krusty
First thing to do is get a copy of the measurement diagram. It's in the early 911 specs book. Measure all the pertinent points. Check the depth of the area where the blots are installed relative to the clutch surface. The various measurements will tell you whether the flywheel can be reused. BTW, any good machine shop with 911/914 experience should be able to determine the condition. Hop on the freeway and drop it off at EMS, near the airport in Inglewood. You could do it the day of the Lit Show ....................

The Cap'n
SLITS
Click to view attachment

Knock yerself out!
jim_hoyland
Thanks; I measured A, B, and C; not sure of C.

A= 17.7mm

B= 35.9mm

C= 3.5mm?
Cap'n Krusty
A is critical (22.5mm). C is also important (11mm). If it's too shallow, you'll have to either cut it or cut the heads of the bolts, or both. Otherwise the hub of the disc will foul the bolt heads and the clutch won't disengage.

The Cap'n
Cap'n Krusty
OOPS. Double post. Since I'm here, remember that ANY cut to the clutch mating surface requires an equal cut on the "step".
The Cap'n
rjames
My understanding from every other thread on this subject is that the diagram of the flywheel posted above is that of a 6 cyl and not for the 4 cyl engines.

Here's one thread for reference:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;hl=flywheel

I gave up trying to find the one for the 4 cyl. and no one seems to know the correct wear limit for the 'C' dimension in the diagram. The diagram says 11mm, but there are several threads, including one I started, that report brand new flywheels having a 'C' dimensino of ~9mm.

I replaced my flywheel when redoing the clutch because the 'C' area was <7mm and it was obvious that the previous owner had ground down the bolt heads so they wouldn't hit and I wanted to use new bolts.
jim_hoyland
Given my measurements and those on the chart, is my flywheel cooked ? My "c" measurement is probably 2mm more.

In any case, I want to get rid of the flywheel; either toss it or pass it along.
r_towle
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 7 2014, 02:03 PM) *

Thanks; I measured A, B, and C; not sure of C.

A= 17.7mm

B= 35.9mm

C= 3.5mm?

You are not measuring C the right way.
I can see from the pictures it's far more than 3.5mm.

Measure from the smooth shiny surface to the place where the bolt touch...

Otherwise, it can be redone to work.

If A is really 17.7mm, I am surprised it worked before and allowed you to release the clutch....
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(rjames @ Feb 7 2014, 12:55 PM) *

My understanding from every other thread on this subject is that the diagram of the flywheel posted above is that of a 6 cyl and not for the 4 cyl engines.

I gave up trying to find the one for the 4 cyl. and no one seems to know the correct wear limit for the 'C' dimension in the diagram. The diagram says 11mm, but there are several threads, including one I started, that report brand new flywheels having a 'C' dimensino of ~9mm.

I replaced my flywheel when redoing the clutch because the 'C' area was <7mm and it was obvious that the previous owner had ground down the bolt heads so they wouldn't hit and I wanted to use new bolts.

We can fix the measurement issue. Someone here has, or soon will have, a new flywheel. It should be simple enough to accurately measure the "C" dimension and the question will be answered for all time. We can then prepare a new diagram with the correct numbers. BTW, except the "C", the measurements are correct for both 4 and 6 cylinder engines. FWIW, "C" may also be correct, but we don't know that.

The Cap'n
rjames
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 7 2014, 03:40 PM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Feb 7 2014, 12:55 PM) *

We can fix the measurement issue. Someone here has, or soon will have, a new flywheel. It should be simple enough to accurately measure the "C" dimension and the question will be answered for all time. We can then prepare a new diagram with the correct numbers. BTW, except the "C", the measurements are correct for both 4 and 6 cylinder engines. FWIW, "C" may also be correct, but we don't know that.

The Cap'n

I bought a new one from Pelican last summer and the -C- measurement was ~9mm. I didn't take an exact measurement, but I'm fairly certain it was 1.5-2mm shy of 11mm. Maybe someone from Pelican can take a measurement. (Dave?)
jim_hoyland

If A is really 17.7mm, I am surprised it worked before and allowed you to release the clutch....

I was having issues. After the engine was warmed up, I had some grinding going into 1st and reverse from a standstill. We replaced all the parts; the TO bearing shaft was worn, the clutch release fork was a little out of shape, and the pivot bushing missing.
All is good now.

larryM
just take it over to RIMCO - they know all about these - and can make 'em right -

including put on new ring gears

an old trick from Rich Bontempi - add a washer under the pivot ball to compensate for the removed material - done it many times
larryM
oops - double post
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(larryM @ Feb 8 2014, 03:43 PM) *

just take it over to RIMCO - they know all about these - and can make 'em right -

I'll stop by there, thanks for the tip.
Cap'n Krusty
Word on the street is that Rimco hasn't been the go-to place for years. Approach with caution .......................................

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.