Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new to site, need advise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bajafreaks
I'm new to this site so hello all. I'm looking at purchasing a 74 914 for my next project/restoration I've been restoring vw's for years and always liked the 914's and thought I might take it up a notch or two smile.gif . I'm looking at a car that's in my town its a 74 the good is the car has zero rust (battery tray and hell hole are perfect). The body is okay but would need to be gone over completely all the door and trunk reveals look good, its missing a few misc. trim pieces etc. door handles emblems, the interior is not too bad at all dash is cracked like most. The bad would be its not the original engine its out of a bus unfortunately, not sure about the trans. the previous owner added a 75 style front bumper so the front trunk sheet metal has been cut in order to bolt in the bumper which I would definitely return to stock. its missing the rocker panels, and muffler. It has been repainted a non og. color the top is in good shape. It comes with a box of misc. extra parts including the fuel injection although I'm not sure its complete. The car appears to have good "bones" but needs to be completely gone thru, it looks like there is no front or rear end damage from any past accidents, it hasn't ran in aprox. 6 years.
I can buy the car for $1500.00. Thanks for any input, Steve
McMark
Sounds like a good thing. But don't fool yourself. It's not a zero rust car. wink.gif
bajafreaks
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 7 2014, 04:13 PM) *

Sounds like a good thing. But don't fool yourself. It's not a zero rust car. wink.gif

Understood but after looking it over fairly well there wasn't anything that really stuck out at me that would present a structural type problem, a little surface rust of course but it looks solid.
CptTripps
1500 for a solid car is a great deal. Even with a little rust here and the. Agree 100% with Mark though. What you describe is a unicorn :-)

Welcome!
PanelBilly
Buy it! Then show us what you can do.
JawjaPorsche
Welcome to 914World! You have come to the right place for advice, parts, and a shoulder to cry on sometimes! Warning! Some guys on this forum are kinda rough on the edges so watch out for whose shoulder to cry on! biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
welcome.png Buy it you won't regret it. Ditch the bus engine. there are good engines for sale in the classifieds here from time to time.
ConeDodger
I'd be glad to look at it for you if it's in Reno/Sparks area... I know where the rust hides happy11.gif
pt_700
welcome to the madness steve! take rob (or just about any other teener here) up on his offer to help with the ppi but, for the asking price, you've probably found a starting point to make most of us (especially those from the rust belts) jealous.

it's a slippery slope but, oh what a ride, thanks to this place!
drive-ability
buy it and it will consume you forever !!!!
bajafreaks
Thanks everyone for the input. The engine is out of a 80-83 vanagon and the deal also comes with 2 extra fenders, doors, and a targa top.
KELTY360
Wow! These guys are asleep at the switch. Can't believe no one has said thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
even though lots have said welcome.png

From what you describe, you won't be sorry if you pay asking price, or a little less.
bajafreaks
Pictures from the owner its all I've got so far.Click to view attachment
bajafreaks
And another.Click to view attachment
trojanhorsepower
Looks nice. I don't think it is missing the hood ornament. They did not come with one. Not trying to start a debate, but I understand that they did not come with one.

And Welcome! It sounds like a great deal.
ConeDodger
You're about an hour South of me. A little too far for a casual drive until the weather is nicer. The picture looks good but as McMark said, there is no such thing as a rust free 914. Mine is one of the most rust free 914's I have seen and my battery tray was just a bit loose from rust along with the engine tray weatherstrip channel on that side. I also have a couple pin holes in the trunk at the far back.

The battery is the root of all evil as far as rust goes in these cars. The acid starts to cause rust at the tray and destroys everything below it. Sometimes going so far as the longitudinal below it, though both longitudinals can rust. Start your search for rust there. Look at the battery tray, is it firmly attached? Is there surface rust on the surfaces below it? If so, take a small screwdriver and probe to see if you break through. Look at the door gaps. Do they narrow at the top? Especially on the passenger side? Try jacking the car up. Do the gaps change? If so, the whole car could be sagging in the middle from rusted longitudinals. Other places rust as well. Pull the seats out and look at the floors under them. Does the back window rattle? If so, the butyl has let go and this can allow water to get behind the back pad causing rust.

I'm sure others can describe rust in other areas as well.

A dead giveaway as to where these cars rust is to go to a website for a company called Restoration Design. See what panels they sell? Rust is the reason for their existence and they do pretty darn well...

It is potentially possible to have a very rust free car here in Nevada. Humidity so low your nose bleeds... Someone has grafted a late bumper on that car. The opposite of what every one else does. Lose that first. If that engine runs, drive it. If it truly is a rust free car, you have a lot of room under its restored value to spend money you could get back. If you're looking for a driver, get a core and build a 2056 with Megasquirt. A very satisfying engine with a bump in power over the stock 2liter. Keep those wheels. They look in the pictures to be American Racing Libre wheels. Very popular with the Datsuns of that period but not as common on 914's. They're aluminum and can be polished to a mirror like finish. That would be a good look and rare.

From time to time I have Datsun/Porsche get-to-gethers up here in Reno. Watch for them and come on up.

bajafreaks
Well I bit the bullet and bought it today, bringing it home on wed.
I'm sure you haven't heard the last of me !!!
Dr Evil
welcome.png Glad you bought it. That sounds like a great start at a crazy price.
CptTripps
Looks like it's missing the pass door handle. Pray that he wasn't trying to fix an issue like: "hey, the door only sticks when there's a passenger in the car."

One this is true though. We haven't heard the last of you. :-)

Welcome!
Bills914-4
Another welcome.png of madness & addiction biggrin.gif , Bill D.
76-914
welcome.png
Dredwin
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 8 2014, 04:16 PM) *

You're about an hour South of me. A little too far for a casual drive until the weather is nicer. The picture looks good but as McMark said, there is no such thing as a rust free 914. Mine is one of the most rust free 914's I have seen and my battery tray was just a bit loose from rust along with the engine tray weatherstrip channel on that side. I also have a couple pin holes in the trunk at the far back.

The battery is the root of all evil as far as rust goes in these cars. The acid starts to cause rust at the tray and destroys everything below it. Sometimes going so far as the longitudinal below it, though both longitudinals can rust. Start your search for rust there. Look at the battery tray, is it firmly attached? Is there surface rust on the surfaces below it? If so, take a small screwdriver and probe to see if you break through. Look at the door gaps. Do they narrow at the top? Especially on the passenger side? Try jacking the car up. Do the gaps change? If so, the whole car could be sagging in the middle from rusted longitudinals. Other places rust as well. Pull the seats out and look at the floors under them. Does the back window rattle? If so, the butyl has let go and this can allow water to get behind the back pad causing rust.

I'm sure others can describe rust in other areas as well.

A dead giveaway as to where these cars rust is to go to a website for a company called Restoration Design. See what panels they sell? Rust is the reason for their existence and they do pretty darn well...

It is potentially possible to have a very rust free car here in Nevada. Humidity so low your nose bleeds... Someone has grafted a late bumper on that car. The opposite of what every one else does. Lose that first. If that engine runs, drive it. If it truly is a rust free car, you have a lot of room under its restored value to spend money you could get back. If you're looking for a driver, get a core and build a 2056 with Megasquirt. A very satisfying engine with a bump in power over the stock 2liter. Keep those wheels. They look in the pictures to be American Racing Libre wheels. Very popular with the Datsuns of that period but not as common on 914's. They're aluminum and can be polished to a mirror like finish. That would be a good look and rare.

From time to time I have Datsun/Porsche get-to-gethers up here in Reno. Watch for them and come on up.

--------
Sorry to thread jack but I'm also new to the game and am looking at a car this weekend. The owner says the battery tray was replaced and I think the hell hole was fixed (or maybe that was another car). I'm in the inland NW so we don't have a lot of cars for sale in my neck of the woods.

Besides the advice above, and looking for sagging when a passenger is in the seat with the top off, is there other areas I should be looking. I've always loved 914s but have never sat in one, let along inspected it for rust. I'm a decent mechanic but have 0 experience with bodywork, although I am skilled enough to finish off a large basement so I'm handy with tools. Any advice would be great. The car is listed at $3800 and seems to be mechanically sound (from emailing the mechanic). I know it would help to post pictures but he took down the posting and I didn't save the pics.
effutuo101
there are a couple of guys out in Spokane that run modified 914's. Good luck!
Seattle has a lot of guys and is a great source for help and information.
914werke
@ Dredwin: Seems like its back up this time in Wallingford with a lower price?
Hard to tell but the car look identical to a 1.8L i have sitting in my drive.
W/O verifiable receipts of the rebuild to 2.0L spec Id be skeptical of whats inside the cases.
bandjoey
Pull off the rocker covers and see what's underneath screwdriver the hell out of the Metal looking for soft metal. Great looking car. Hope it's solid. Drive it now and rebuild it later. piratenanner.gif
MikeSpraggi
welcome.png Enjoy the ride and keep us posted!
tweet
welcome.png
If it is truly as rust free as you believe it to be, you got a great price. I would drive it as is, before dropping the engine. Build/buy your new 914 engine, and then do the swap. Save the body work till then. Enjoy the experience before it sits in a garage as a project for years. If you end up loving your car, as much as the rest of us do, it will inspire you to finish up your project that much sooner and it won't languish. biggrin.gif
bajafreaks
QUOTE(tweet @ Feb 18 2014, 09:56 PM) *

welcome.png
If it is truly as rust free as you believe it to be, you got a great price. I would drive it as is, before dropping the engine. Build/buy your new 914 engine, and then do the swap. Save the body work till then. Enjoy the experience before it sits in a garage as a project for years. If you end up loving your car, as much as the rest of us do, it will inspire you to finish up your project that much sooner and it won't languish. biggrin.gif

Its funny you mentioned that I recently had the same thought. It wouldn't take to much to get it back on the road but the Vanagon engine has to go, I only have the wiring harness and ecu for the fuel injection so I may stay with the webers although I prefer to have F.I. I can spend that money somewhere else. The interior is in really good shape except for the dash, the body and paint will come maybe next winter. It truly is "almost" rust free.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.