Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 17 inch wheel thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
I am looking for opinions, experience and overall looks for going to a 17 inch wheel.

Are the tires hard to find.
Ride too harsh?

Pics appreciated.
My car is now flared, sort of.....well they are tacked in place and will be done by spring...maybe...hopefully.

Rich
Andyrew
I've got 18's in the back and 17's in the front. Rides pretty damn nice. Dont think its harsh at all.

Probably the best pic I have showing the wheels. 2454017f 2853518r

IPB Image
jaxdream
Click to view attachment

These are some Boxster classics that I would love to be able to mount , just not enought room for 7 X 17 under the narrow stock fenders.

Jack
Elliot Cannon
I've always thought 17 inch wheels look great on a 914. Ride quality is good and tires are easy to find.
r_towle
What rubber and wheels are on the black car?
About the look I am seeking.

I love the yellow car, but those wheels look over my budget.
mgp4591
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Feb 7 2014, 08:05 PM) *

I've always thought 17 inch wheels look great on a 914. Ride quality is good and tires are easy to find.

I'm guessing a Sheridan kit surrounding those beautiful wheels and tires? popcorn[1].gif
zambezi
I have 17X7's all around with 205 / 50 / 17. Narrow body with the lip rolled over, but the fenders have not been pulled. Don't have it road ready yet but have driven it lots around my property and the tires don't ever rub and doesn't seem harsh. I have since raised the front about a half inch since this photo because they did rub on full lock at that level.
Jim

Click to view attachment
McMark
Ride is a little high in my opinion. I think 16s are idea. But overall diameter depends on wheels. If you can find a tire that results in a similar to stock diameter then I wouldn't hesitate to do it.
shoguneagle
I have the same rim as Elliot Cannon's black car which are Cup II 17 inch rims. I am running 7 inch 205/45s in front and 235/40s in the rear. My car does not have any body flux and the front is all 911 19mm torsion bars, Koni red socks adjustable, 21mm sway bar set light, and Elephant brass inserts on the A-arms; rear is non stressed 914 suspension with Koni Red adjustables, rear sway bar, Elephant Racing main suspension bolts, etc. The car is extremely stiff from rear shock bracing from Tangerine racing, critical seam welding in rear, engine and front car areas.

I will be running the same basic tire configuration as presently on the car except the tires will increase to 50/55/60 series because I need more give that the present suspension gives me. I am not going to detune it any more than what I have now except for the proper tire series on front and back along with obtaining critical clearances. Then the suspension will be leveled and balanced via four corner weighting.

At best it will be a "nervous street car" and I have enjoyed building it over the past 7 plus years. It has 3.2 1987 911 engine along with the Great Doc Evil's transaxle build.
carr914
17" Tires are the Best Buy in the Market - Plenty of Choices & pretty cheap. When you jump to 18", so does the Price by a lot

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
confused24.gif
Mark Henry
To me sometimes they work and sometime they look baby buggy-ish.
metalmorphosis
Heres my pos with its 17x7 honda wheels i got for cheap. By the way Jim I love how low your green car appears to be in pic #7.
bulitt
Do these wheels require spacers?

IPB Image
bulitt
Boxster wheels 7" front with 225's and 8.5" rear with 255's
GT flares getting painted at ScottyB's

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
QUOTE(bulitt @ Feb 8 2014, 01:57 PM) *

Do these wheels require spacers?

IPB Image

No they are 3 piece, made to fit the car.. 10/11.5 x 17
sixnotfour
biggrin.gif
rnellums
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 8 2014, 07:45 PM) *

biggrin.gif

What is the offset. Fit is just perfect.
computers4kids
How different some of the the cars look with the taller wheels--some of them the wheels really work--others look out of place .
CptTripps
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Feb 10 2014, 11:39 AM) *

How different some of the the cars look with the taller wheels--some of them the wheels really work--others look out of place .

That's why they make more than one kind. biggrin.gif

I spent a lot of time figuring out what I DIDN'T want to buy. That made the other decision a lot easier.

Looking at picture after picture really helps.
Chris H.
I second the boxster wheels bulitt showed...mine are all 7" width but you could buy four 8" if you wanted to and use them with flares. Had a hard time swapping out the Fuchs 15's but these look like they belong on there. Required a 15mm spacer for the stock fenders up front...the back is a bit trickier... one is too close inboard the other too close to the outer fender with 15mm... just keep that in mind if you use them.

Click to view attachment
Steve
I am running Fixse FM-10, 17" rims. 8" in the front and 9" rear.
Check my blog for pictures.
pneuhyde
Not to jack the thread, but I have a couple of 17x7 Lenso wheels that look very similar to the Boxer wheel shown in above pics. They are off a Mitsubishi Eclipse so I don't know if they will fit, but might make a cheap spare if they do. They are no longer available from Lenso and it would nice to see them go to use somewhere. I have two good ones, a third with a small dent and some road rash, and the 4th is not useable, as seen in my profile pic, after meeting colliding with a rock slide in the middle of a snow storm ohmy.gif Price is very negotiable, plus shipping.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 7 2014, 07:13 PM) *

What rubber and wheels are on the black car?
About the look I am seeking.

I love the yellow car, but those wheels look over my budget.

The black car has 255/40-17 in the back with 9 inch wide rims and 225/45-17 up front with 7 inch wide rims. I sold the yellow car a few years ago.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 7 2014, 08:12 PM) *

Ride is a little high in my opinion. I think 16s are idea. But overall diameter depends on wheels. If you can find a tire that results in a similar to stock diameter then I wouldn't hesitate to do it.

Actually the overall diameter depends on the tire size. The overall diameter of all four wheels on my car is about 25 inches which is I think close to stock. I used to have a chart that gave the diameter for tire and wheel combos but I can't find it now. unsure.gif I'll keep looking. I think I got it from Tire Rack.
Big Len
This one's pretty good.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php
sled9146
17X9 all aroundClick to view attachment

52mm spacers in rear
26mm spacers in front

Michelin Pilot Sports PS 2's 255/40/17
sixnotfour
Asled, How thick are your spacers ??
sixnotfour
15 Versus 17..

10 x 15

11.5 x 17
Richmck914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 8 2014, 06:54 AM) *

confused24.gif what size tires you running? I just grabbed some 17 inch wheels (7 inches wide) and the 205/50/r17 rubbed against the shock in the front and the fender in the rear. Any help appreciated. thanks!

what size tires you running? I just grabbed some 17 inch wheels (7 inches wide) and the 205/50/r17 rubbed against the shock in the front and the fender in the rear. Any help appreciated. thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.