Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Possible Bumble Bee in Little Rock junk yard
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
GaroldShaffer
I stumbled across this ad in Little Rock for a "72 914" but looking at the pics it has 74 bumpers and Bumble Bee paint scheme. Underside pic shows side shift trans. If I was closer I would go look. They are asking $700. Someone needs to go check it out and at least get the vin info and such for the database here and for Jeff's 914LE site.

Click here for link
Rob-O
Under the rockers, which appear to be missing, it looks like the car wasn't initially black. Unless that is some major build up of dirt. Would be interesting to know if it was a BB though!
JawjaPorsche
Definitely a 74 with the bumpers. Someone swapped out the Mahles for steelies. Looks like a 2.0 muffler hanger so it might be 2.0.
poorsche914
Where's Hot_shoe? confused24.gif
He is in Little Rock quite often. Maybe he can check it out.

driving.gif
carr914
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Feb 8 2014, 02:47 PM) *

Under the rockers, which appear to be missing, it looks like the car wasn't initially black. Unless that is some major build up of dirt. Would be interesting to know if it was a BB though!

Looks like Dirt to me! Good Eye Garold unsure.gif

Paging Hot_Shoe to the Bat-Phone!
Olympic 914
Looks like a 1956 or 57 corvette in the background of picture #4 .
KELTY360
It's got blacked out trim on the sails also. Could be a score for someone.
carr914
QUOTE(Olympic 1.7 @ Feb 8 2014, 07:00 PM) *

Bingo, I didn't see that & I used to have a 57
bdstone914
I emailed a 914 friend in Little Rock to see if he will check it out.

Bruce
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Olympic 1.7 @ Feb 8 2014, 04:00 PM) *

You can see the 'vette in picture #1 as well, along with a 65 or 66 Mustang that might be a fastback. There is either a Maserati or Alfa Romeo in picture #3.

Cool junkyard!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 8 2014, 03:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Rob-O @ Feb 8 2014, 02:47 PM) *

Looks like Dirt to me! Good Eye Garold unsure.gif

Paging Hot_Shoe to the Bat-Phone!

So if it is a LE do I get a finders fee. laugh.gif I hope it is and I hope someone picks it up and restores it if all possible.
hot_shoe914
I have already called and left a message, no return call yet. If it is a Bee, I will be all over it and would drive over tomorrow if need be, even with ice and snow everywhere. I do have an all wheel drive Subaru in the driveway.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 8 2014, 07:56 PM) *

I have already called and left a message, no return call yet. If it is a Bee, I will be all over it and would drive over tomorrow if need be, even with ice and snow everywhere. I do have an all wheel drive Subaru in the driveway.

Standing by.... popcorn[1].gif

From Jeff Bowlsby's page (of course you won't have a C of A):

If available, confirm the COA information with the vehicle. Verify that the vehicle has the equipment listed on the COA, VIN, Chassis plate, Safety Compliance Label and rear trunk numbers. A 914 LE without a COA is significantly devalued, and should be priced comparable to a standard 914.

The VIN should be within the authenticated 914 LE VIN range: Between 4742914348 to 4742916764

The first three numbers of the Chassis Plate should be within or close to the known range of other 914 LE cars: 071 to 145

· Confirm the remaining typical 914 LE features as illustrated on the 914 LE webpage:

- Paint code L04I or L80E

- 914 Can Am Front spoiler

- Side stripes / accent color at wheels, valences and bumpers

- Omitted Targa bar vinyl / black exterior metal trim, foglamp grilles

- Light grey headlight relay covers

- 2.0L engine, front/rear anti-roll bars, foglamps, center console

- Black center instrument gauges

- Black plastic tailpanel emblems, windshield washer jets

· Confirm vehicle manufacturing date between February and April 1974, found on the Safety Compliance Label on the drivers door rearward jamb and on the COA.

If there is any doubt about a car you are looking at, feel up under the inside Targa bar from each rear wheel well for filled in holes where the bottom horizontal trim piece might have been installed.
Ferg
Sticker on trunk says Stammler that was a Porsche dealer here in Boulder for a long time...

Ferg
CptTripps
That'd be worth whatever you need to spend on restoring it. Possibly a great find.
hot_shoe914
Got a call back about the car today, should have the vin# here shortly. He also says he has a '72 super beetle with original floors and solid battery box that only needs an engine. Also has factory air, if anyone is interested, he is sending me pictures of it also.

Not sure how bad the rust is on the teener yet, but he did say the doors still open and close with no problem.

Shoe
CptTripps
I may be going to LR next week. If it's still available, and I can swing it, I'd run by the yard to check it out if someone's interested.
GaroldShaffer
If it turns out to be a LE and no one down that way is ready to pull the trigger then I got the OK from the wife to make the 10hr drive down to get it. Now I WILL NOT restore the car, but I wont part it either.

I would bring it home clean it the best it could be based on it's current state. Get it running (if possible) then sell it off as a project to someone else. I have enough cars / parts / projects going on, but I hate to see a possible LE get junked.

IF this is the way that this goes down then I will gladly throw a few $$ to Shoe or CptTripps for taking time to go check it out.
Socalandy
first.gif first.gif Garold

Save it!!!!
Kansas 914
I have a good feeling about this........... smile.gif
hot_shoe914
Okay, it appears to be a true LE. I have seen the title and the vin falls in the proper range for an LE. It also has the correct paint code for a Bee. I should have pics, that a friend took when he went by to check it out for me, posted on here as soon as I receive them from him. That is all for now.

Shoe
beerchug.gif
billh1963
Cool! Another one found....
Kansas 914
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 10 2014, 04:15 PM) *

Okay, it appears to be a true LE. I have seen the title and the vin falls in the proper range for an LE. It also has the correct paint code for a Bee. I should have pics, that a friend took when he went by to check it out for me, posted on here as soon as I receive them from him. That is all for now.

Shoe
beerchug.gif

Well done Donald!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Ferg @ Feb 9 2014, 08:20 AM) *

Sticker on trunk says Stammler that was a Porsche dealer here in Boulder for a long time...

Ferg

Hi Ferg,

I saw a copy of the title. Last titled in Federal Heights, CO!
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 10 2014, 03:15 PM) *

Shoe
beerchug.gif

Please email me the VIN for the Registry. Cool find.
73cool
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 10 2014, 04:27 PM) *

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 10 2014, 03:15 PM) *

Shoe
beerchug.gif

Please email me the VIN for the Registry. Cool find.

This is awesome!!! piratenanner.gif
CptTripps
That's awesome!

Now, who's going to step-up and make hew "like new" again? biggrin.gif
hot_shoe914
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dw914six
Who is going to step up and buy this car? Is it worth the effort? Would the reconditioning costs be more than a restored LE is worth? dry.gif
hot_shoe914
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(dw914six @ Feb 10 2014, 07:26 PM) *

Who is going to step up and buy this car? Is it worth the effort? Would the reconditioning costs be more than a restored LE is worth? dry.gif

Yes, for now, but it may be worth it in the long run, some day.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(dw914six @ Feb 10 2014, 07:26 PM) *

I will buy it if no one local doesn't want to as long as it is not a total pile of rust. Like I said before I am not restoring it, but saving it from being junked. I have already been in contact with a few people that might be interested in a LE project.
hot_shoe914
Click to view attachment
hot_shoe914
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
CptTripps
Ah. That'll buff right out. No?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Feb 10 2014, 06:08 PM) *

I have a good feeling about this........... smile.gif

Great find !
...... but the ancient rule still applies, how "extensive" is the rust ?
Kansas 914
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 10 2014, 06:17 PM) *

Nice! N aktion035.gif
hot_shoe914
Click to view attachment
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 10 2014, 07:30 PM) *

Looks like it may have had a cage welded in at one time?
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Feb 10 2014, 08:06 PM) *

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 10 2014, 07:30 PM) *

Looks like it may have had a cage welded in at one time?

Yes, that is what my friend said when he went to look at it. He has been a 914 owner for well over 35 years and knows his business. He is also a member here, even though he drifted to the dark side and bought a Corvette. icon8.gif

I could use that rear valance though. Sadly, the front spoiler was missing.
Socalandy
Cant be too bad, It's holding water beerchug.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Feb 10 2014, 08:13 PM) *

The doors still open and close too. The stock injection is still there. He said the motor turns over freely but he can't get spark. Unless you have very deep pockets or can do the majority of the work yourself, I believe the value is in parting it out, and still not much to be made there IMHO.

Shoe
beerchug.gif
pete000
Former PCA owner car, can't be all that bad. That rust isn't the worset ever fixed here on the World ! Save this little guy ! popcorn[1].gif
HalfMoon
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 10 2014, 09:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Socalandy @ Feb 10 2014, 08:13 PM) *

The doors still open and close too. The stock injection is still there. He said the motor turns over freely but he can't get spark. Unless you have very deep pockets or can do the majority of the work yourself, I believe the value is in parting it out, and still not much to be made there IMHO.

Shoe
beerchug.gif

Parting one of these out would be a criminal act imho.
I found one in far far worse condition and I plan on a full roto resto. Damn the expense or time involved. Currently between 150-160 known to exist. In terms of rarity, the individual parts aren't realy worth any more than a standard 914 (with a few exceptions). Certainly worth more (in terms of rarity) as a unit.
It looks as if it's going to be saved but I'll say this here and now, if for some reason it's not going to get saved or it's slated for parting out, please contact me. I'll buy it.
JRust
That is a large restoration & won't be cheap. Someone with Deep pockets & loves to weld. That is alot of work ahead & unless you are sure you are up for it. If it was local I would buy it just to keep it from getting crushed. No way in hell I'd be doing that restoration though. Like Gerald I'd only be getting it until someone else stepped up to buy it
mtndawg
Good find. Restoration is for the fun of preserving something from the past. For most of us, it's not about making $.
cal914
How much is one these worth fully restored,mine is currently be worked on at original custom's
timothy_nd28
We should all pitch in and buy this for Lisa mrs.K.gif
hot_shoe914
It has been saved.
FourBlades

Nice work, Brother Shoe!

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.