Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dr Evil clinic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john914somers
I am trying to find out if Dr Evil still does transmission clinics? Does he do them for 915 transmissions? How can I get a hold of him? Thanks for your help!
John
rmdinmd
here is the thread for his latest one.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=224104
Mark Henry
He doesn't do 915 clinics, parts cost too much, not enough demand, hard to do in one day, might need bearing mod...and did I mention the parts cost too much.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 9 2014, 05:28 AM) *

He doesn't do 915 clinics, parts cost too much, not enough demand, hard to do in one day, might need bearing mod...and did I mention the parts cost too much.

Your not buying them in the right place. Those guys on Pelican think 915 gears are worth $600 each. I just bought 2nd and 3rd for $400 for the pair. Talk to Don at EBS. You'd think 911 shit was made of gold if you bought it all on the Bird Board... blink.gif
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 9 2014, 06:00 AM) *

Your not buying them in the right place. Those guys on Pelican think 915 gears are worth $600 each. I just bought 2nd and 3rd for $400 for the pair. Talk to Don at EBS. You'd think 911 shit was made of gold if you bought it all on the Bird Board... blink.gif

I wish 915 gears were lower. .It a supply and demand world. Not to mention if you get a Guard gear your paying for Quality too..As it was mentioned to me years ago. If you want to play with these car's. .you will have to pony up . Otherwise just play with plastic model's confused24.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(396 @ Feb 9 2014, 11:49 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 9 2014, 06:00 AM) *

I wish 915 gears were lower. .It a supply and demand world. Not to mention if you get a Guard gear your paying for Quality too..As it was mentioned to me years ago. If you want to play with these car's. .you will have to pony up . Otherwise just play with plastic model's confused24.gif

Two Guards gear sets and one done by the other custom gear supplier (which I forget the name of ...it will come to me) for a 930 trans cost $2500.
No other parts, no labour... just the 3 gear sets.

Besides it's not the gears that wear out and not like you can find core 915's for $200-$250 to scavenge parts out of.
ConeDodger
While a 930 trans is a 915, it's uber rare compared to a straight up 915 so I'm not sure it's a fair comparison. Add to that, a set of custom gears for any transmission would be quite expensive. confused24.gif

EBS says they have a source of used 915 parts. Compared to what some of the guys on Pelican are selling gear sets for 915's, custom Guard gears are a bargain. I will try to copy and paste a PM from a guy in Southern Cal who says he sells used 915 gears for $650 a set, "all day long." EBS just laughed...
Mark Henry
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 9 2014, 03:05 PM) *

While a 930 trans is a 915, it's uber rare compared to a straight up 915 so I'm not sure it's a fair comparison. Add to that, a set of custom gears for any transmission would be quite expensive. confused24.gif

EBS says they have a source of used 915 parts. Compared to what some of the guys on Pelican are selling gear sets for 915's, custom Guard gears are a bargain. I will try to copy and paste a PM from a guy in Southern Cal who says he sells used 915 gears for $650 a set, "all day long." EBS just laughed...

So what is your point rolleyes.gif

The reason Doc doesn't offer 915 clinics is there is not enough call for them and parts that do wear out (notice I'm not talking about gear sets) are too expensive for him to stock, to get a clinic done in one day.

That's the other point, he has to get a clinic done in one, maybe two days. He does this feat because he has a crap load of 901 parts on hand and also participants have spare boxes that they they rob for parts and also sell amongst themselves.
Doing this any other way is pissing in the wind, there is no 915 parts fairy on a weekend.
Doc would be taking every box home with him that didn't get finished. That could be all of them.

This is right from "His Baldness," I personally asked him this very question at his/my clinic.
This is what the OP was asking.
bulitt
QUOTE(john914somers @ Feb 9 2014, 03:03 AM) *

I am trying to find out if Dr Evil still does transmission clinics? Does he do them for 915 transmissions? How can I get a hold of him? Thanks for your help!
John

I am sure the Doc would rebuild a 915 at a more reasonable price than most anyone else. Click on his member name and send him a PM.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 9 2014, 01:08 PM) *

The reason Doc doesn't offer 915 clinics is there is not enough call for them and parts that do wear out (notice I'm not talking about gear sets) are too expensive for him to stock, to get a clinic done in one day.

That's the other point, he has to get a clinic done in one, maybe two days. He does this feat because he has a crap load of 901 parts on hand and also participants have spare boxes that they they rob for parts and also sell amongst themselves.
Doing this any other way is pissing in the wind, there is no 915 parts fairy on a weekend.
Doc would be taking every box home with him that didn't get finished. That could be all of them.

This is right from "His Baldness," I personally asked him this very question at his/my clinic.

I was only stating that 915 transmission parts are not that expensive if you buy them from the right place. I am not commenting about clinics at all... I paid more for a used M and S 901 set than I paid for a pristine set of late 915 2nd and 3rd gear sets and they say they can get all I want...
dw914six
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 9 2014, 04:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 9 2014, 01:08 PM) *

I was only stating that 915 transmission parts are not that expensive if you buy them from the right place. I am not commenting about clinics at all... I paid more for a used M and S 901 set than I paid for a pristine set of late 915 2nd and 3rd gear sets and they say they can get all I want...

Hi Cone Dogger,
Who is EBS? confused24.gif I have a 3.6 in one of my 914/6 cars and actually have my 901 stack up at the Docs as we speak to figure out why it gets stuck in 4th. dry.gif

I have considered putting a 915 in my six, but was concerned with the cost of doing so. Does EBS sell working or revuilt 915 trannys?

Thanks.
Dave_Darling
DW: EBS is EBS Racing up in the Reno area. I don't think they sell rebuilt boxes, but I could be wrong. It sounds like they do have a supply of 915 cores, though.

Rob: Gears aren't the "wear parts" in a transmission, usually. I think that what I'm hearing is that the synchros, sliders, bearings, and so on for a 915 are more expensive than for a 901. Especially since there tend to be lots of useable 901 parts around due to lots of extra gearboxes.

And many 915s supposedly need machine work and special parts to rectify main bearings that will no longer stay in place...

--DD
ConeDodger
All mine has needed has been the two gear sets and one slider. Under, $200 each... Not too bad, now the WEVO stuff? Big money!

My point is simply that if you find the right source, 915 parts don't have to be that expensive.

EBS is Engine Builders Supply. Dave is correct, they don't generally sell used parts but, they have sources...
dw914six
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 9 2014, 06:45 PM) *

All mine has needed has been the two gear sets and one slider. Under, $200 each... Not too bad, now the WEVO stuff? Big money!

My point is simply that if you find the right source, 915 parts don't have to be that expensive.

EBS is Engine Builders Supply. Dave is correct, they don't generally sell used parts but, they have sources...

Thanks guys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.