Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another Idea for those Wishing they had a Celette Bench
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cary
Ran across this stuff looking for a used frame bench.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135953

Click to view attachment

Looks almost feasible.
Is the tube in tube close enough tolerance?
MMW
You will never get the accuracy of a Cellette bench without doing some sort of machining. But you can get awfully close with a fabricated structure as in the pic. If you used 3.5"od tube for the main supports & 4"od x 3/16" wall tube for the pcs. that slide it would work. You put a hole in the 4" tube & weld a nut on so you can thread a bolt in to lock it in position where needed.

It would suffice to hold the chassis in position for rust repair but you would need something more substantial if you needed to jack areas to straighten a bent chassis.

In looking at the pic again the main rails look larger than 3.5"od. To answer your question about tubes sliding into each other about the closet you will get is a 1/8" difference that will slide. If you tried to go size on size like 4"od x 1/4" wall (3.5"id) it doesn't slide over a 3.5"od tube due to seam on the inside. You could possibly get telescoping tubing but it is not available in as many sizes & is expensive.
cary
I'm thinking just something to hold only.

On our cars I think I would add a brace for both the front and rear shock mounts. That way you could remove the pinch clamps and change out longs when needed.
When used in conjunction with a good set of door braces.

A little late for the rustoration I'm on now. But maybe I'll build it for the next one.
nathansnathan
I pulled the trigger on buying a chassis jig today. biggrin.gif

IPB Image

https://www.jd2.com/p-94-dr-jig.aspx

I got 20 riser plates,
IPB Image

12 bridge plates
IPB Image

6 angle plates
IPB Image

I still need to get the unistrut cross beams and the 3/4" all-thread and hardware. I'm thinking about fabbing some right hand/left hand adjusters along with the fixtures I'll need to make.

It's kind of a lot for me, but I actually couldn't believe that I found some prduct new that so fit my needs for that price, and for it to be made in the US.
rick 918-S
That is nice. idea.gif More guys could use something like that.
cary
Wow .........................
Rick's dead on. That looks like the ticket.
That Uni-Strut is a great idea.
cary
Did you get a freight estimate yet?
nathansnathan
QUOTE(cary @ Feb 12 2014, 08:20 PM) *

Did you get a freight estimate yet?

That part hurts the wallet a little. It's 12' x 5' and fully welded together by the 6 brackets, 800 lbs. They ship it freight. They're going to call me and arrange when to be at my shop to put this in my parking spot. biggrin.gif Well, one of them, as that's 2 in a row. $500 to ship from TN to CA

IPB Image
That might be one I bought, as he said he has 2 there, and they just started making these late last year.

Another imprssive shot of the thing, a customer sumitted to them.
IPB Image

The unistrut stuff, you can get from the maker, their site is pretty cool, as is their product. I'm looking to get like 6 cross beams of 5', (though you may have to buy 10) probably the P1000T

http://www.unistrut-direct.com/browse.php?...hannel&id=1

IPB Image

Some coin but I could spend more than that building my own probably, and have it come out taco'd. I watched a video on truck garage how-to series, and their floor was perfectly straight when they built one. Also, I don't know how they kept it from moving when they welded it.

Also, If I built my own, it would have been only to mount a 914 on, so this one being modular/moveable was a big plus.
cary
We were talking about the other one.
I figured it would have been $500 in steel before the wheels and hardware.

I think they have 2 sizes of UniStrut at Home Depot. Its back by the electrical conduit.
euro911
Cool ...

It's like an old Gilbert Erector Set ... on steroids laugh.gif

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.