Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally! A Garage!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stateofidleness
Apartment life no more! Graduated to "homeowner" last week and finally getting settled in. Got both of the girls in their new home without too much trouble. Gotta start shopping for a lift!

Click to view attachment
Ferg
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Feb 9 2014, 07:58 PM) *

Apartment life no more! Graduated to "homeowner" last week and finally getting settled in. Got both of the girls in their new home without too much trouble. Gotta start shopping for a lift!

Click to view attachment

Congrats!! aktion035.gif
r_towle
Awsome.....nice to have space...

Now build cabinets, with doors, everywhere!
HalfMoon
Remember this picture. It will NEVER be this bare or clean again.
stateofidleness
First thing my dad said!!!

And I vowed I wouldn't let crap accumulate. smile.gif

I seriously went anti-hoarding when I was packing my apartment stuff. If I didn't absolutely need it or want it, it got tossed! Clean slate!

I'm trying to find those big one-piece mats (they look like diamond plate but I believe are rubber) for under the cars. Not the kind you "piece" together like a puzzle. It's one big mat the size of the car. Looked pretty neat.
KELTY360
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Nothing like having a proper toy box!

Remember the immutable physical law: Nature abhors a vacuum.

Enjoy!
rick 918-S
beerchug.gif
McMark
Congrats! I'm a little jealous actually. It gets hard to separate work and fun at the shop, so having a home garage would be nice.

Looks like a great setup. Should be fun. aktion035.gif
stateofidleness
Another shot.. greenie looks TINY in my garage.

Those bins in front of the 914 are my best score yet! My brother works for Home Deport and they did a reset on some of the displays. Got a hold of a few they were just going to throw out (might be worth asking about next time you're in HD)! Still have the divider labels on them! Oddly enough, he scored all the metric ones lol

Gonna get them mounted to some casters to make them stable and use as rolling toolboxes.

Click to view attachment
JRust
Nothing better than having space to work inside piratenanner.gif Congrats
mrbubblehead
congratulations! i work out of a 2 car garage also. it fills up pretty quick. i build bases with castors for EVERYTHING, welder, drill press, band saw, tables, carts, anvil, rotisserie etc. if i had cabinets i would put wheels on them too. you never what project is next and it is very nice to move things around easily. the bigger the wheels the easier they move.
Jake Raby
I am with mcMark.. I got tired of all my stuff getting mixed in at the shop, so I broke ground on this little 50'X70' project this weekend at home. It sits on 50 acres and will have a chassis dyno too (going to upgrade the Dyno jet at the shop to AWD and move the 2WD to the garage at home.

The back row of 3 cars will have 3 lifts so I can put a total of 15 Porsches in here pretty easily. Maybe I can finish my damn cars now!
Click to view attachment
stateofidleness
that's bigger than my whole house smile.gif
MartyYeoman
Is that a urinal in the upper right corner? idea.gif
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Feb 9 2014, 10:16 PM) *

Is that a urinal in the upper right corner? idea.gif

Yep, built of stainless steel... Bought it on Ebay, must have came out of a prison cell :-)

Thats the downfall to building everything yourself... Even your shop.. It consumes you!

If the weather will hold for next week I'll have a slab poured(highly doubt that will happen!). I've never finished a piece of concrete this big myself before, so it should be interesting.

The drawing still isn't done.. I have to add another Hangar style door up front and figure out exactly where the dyno rollers need to go, then pop in some windows. Still not sure about the roof line yet, its buit from Insulated Metal Panels, and there's a lot of ways I can design the roof to work with the mezzanine and add some interesting aesthetics too.
euro911
Congrats smile.gif

My garage was so crowded, I had to lease a shop. Ran out of room there too headbang.gif
tweet
Nice. So much room and so little stuff. You're going to have to do something about that. I've got a triple, and it's maxed out. laugh.gif
somd914
How did you ever own a 914 without a garage?

Next you're gonna tell us that you don't have jack stands either!

Congrats!
r_towle
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Feb 10 2014, 12:34 AM) *

I am with mcMark.. I got tired of all my stuff getting mixed in at the shop, so I broke ground on this little 50'X70' project this weekend at home. It sits on 50 acres and will have a chassis dyno too (going to upgrade the Dyno jet at the shop to AWD and move the 2WD to the garage at home.

The back row of 3 cars will have 3 lifts so I can put a total of 15 Porsches in here pretty easily. Maybe I can finish my damn cars now!
Click to view attachment

Crazy project, but good luck.

Have lots of work lights handy for the slab....it might be a late night depending upon lots of luck/ weather, and the guy who mixed it that morning.....

Worth the effort, and I know you will enjoy your own place, away from "work"

Rich
bzettner
Click to view attachment

Congrats! and welcome from San Antonio, Texas...I'm only a couple of years ahead of "finally getting a garage"! piratenanner.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Feb 10 2014, 01:34 AM) *

Thats the downfall to building everything yourself... Even your shop.. It consumes you!

If the weather will hold for next week I'll have a slab poured(highly doubt that will happen!). I've never finished a piece of concrete this big myself before, so it should be interesting.

By yourself or you're the contractor/boss and you have help?

With at least 5-6 strong guys and a bobcat on the pour it's doable.
By yourself it's going to turn out a total piece of stromberg.gif
MartyYeoman

agree.gif
tweet
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Feb 10 2014, 12:34 AM) *

Click to view attachment

This is not a garage, this is a plant. biggrin.gif drooley.gif
bozo914
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Feb 9 2014, 10:27 PM) *

First thing my dad said!!!

And I vowed I wouldn't let crap accumulate. smile.gif

I seriously went anti-hoarding when I was packing my apartment stuff. If I didn't absolutely need it or want it, it got tossed! Clean slate!

I'm trying to find those big one-piece mats (they look like diamond plate but I believe are rubber) for under the cars. Not the kind you "piece" together like a puzzle. It's one big mat the size of the car. Looked pretty neat.

If you are a Costco member, check there/or online. I know I've seen it in the tools/garage stuff area.
jfort
It goes the other way, too. I built a 36' x 36' garage. Concrete floor with drains. Plumbed it to a big air compressor. A couple of work benches. Well lighted. Heat.

Ex-wife and her BF now have a great shop. And neither of them knows what to do with it.
tweet
QUOTE(jfort @ Feb 10 2014, 11:07 AM) *

It goes the other way, too. I built a 36' x 36' garage. Concrete floor with drains. Plumbed it to a big air compressor. A couple of work benches. Well lighted. Heat.

Ex-wife and her BF now have a great shop. And neither of them knows what to do with it.

Criminal; you should have asked for shared custody
euro911
laugh.gif ... agree.gif

Buy her out ???
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 10 2014, 04:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Feb 10 2014, 01:34 AM) *

By yourself or you're the contractor/boss and you have help?

With at least 5-6 strong guys and a bobcat on the pour it's doable.
By yourself it's going to turn out a total piece of stromberg.gif

Got it covered.. It helps to know people. It helps more when they owe you favors and even more when their 996 just blew up.
rosenfe
QUOTE(bzettner @ Feb 10 2014, 04:33 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Congrats! and welcome from San Antonio, Texas...I'm only a couple of years ahead of "finally getting a garage"! piratenanner.gif

thats what i have a boxster and a 914,good pair to own.
pete000
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Feb 9 2014, 09:34 PM) *

Click to view attachment

pray.gif

drooley.gif
billh1963
I'm jealous, Jake!

I have got to decide where I want to buy or build. I'm up to 12 cars now (various makes) and really need the space and a couple of lifts!
steuspeed
I want one of these!
Jake Raby
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Feb 11 2014, 01:57 PM) *

I'm jealous, Jake!

I have got to decide where I want to buy or build. I'm up to 12 cars now (various makes) and really need the space and a couple of lifts!

Its cheaper to buy, unless you can do the majority of it like I am.

I already had the property and it was in a perfect location, just across the road from the house and that made the difference to me. The 800' long driveway will need to be finished before we can get the pad work underway, and this ice storm isn't helping the timeline any on that.

Lifts are so worth the money when it comes to storing cars. I bought my storage lifts for good prices as well as my 2 post shop lift. I also own a tool & equipment company, and that helps. We should do a group buy on lifts :-)
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Feb 11 2014, 04:15 PM) *

We should do a group buy on lifts :-)

idea.gif
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Feb 11 2014, 04:36 PM) *

idea.gif

I could make it happen.. I get a price break at 10 units :-)
billh1963
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Feb 11 2014, 09:01 PM) *

idea.gif

If I could pay for it but postpone delivery I'm in....seriously
billh1963
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Feb 11 2014, 07:15 PM) *

I'm jealous, Jake!

How do you find the time to build the building and run your other business? I'm being serious...building something like that would be a full time job!
billh1963
duplicate
billh1963
duplicate
Jake Raby
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Feb 11 2014, 06:12 PM) *

I'm jealous, Jake!

How do you find the time to build the building and run your other business? I'm being serious...building something like that would be a full time job!

Which business? I only have five! Actually, I added another one last month, so make that six.

I don't sleep. Never have.
billh1963
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Feb 11 2014, 10:10 PM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Feb 11 2014, 06:12 PM) *

I'm jealous, Jake!

Which business? I only have five! Actually, I added another one last month, so make that six.

I don't sleep. Never have.

Lack of sleep will give you lots of time... But, I like (and need) my sleep! lol-2.gif
patssle
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Feb 11 2014, 06:01 PM) *

idea.gif

For which brand? I'm looking at a 2 post Bendpak lift in the near future.
dcheek
QUOTE(patssle @ Feb 11 2014, 08:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Feb 11 2014, 06:01 PM) *

idea.gif

For which brand? I'm looking at a 2 post Bendpak lift in the near future.

Patssie,
I just installed an Atlas 2 post lift from Greg Smith Equipment. $1450.00 Took about 3-4 hours to install myself. Works beautifully. My buddy bought one and we had it up in 2 1/2 hours. 8000 lb. capacity. 9' 3" column height for low ceilings. Go on Greg Smith web sight. You can save on shipping if you pick up. We used a car trailer to pick up 2 units at the same time at their Delaware warehouse. No sales tax in Delaware.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Dave

mepstein
Greg smith is about 12 miles from me. No room for a 2 post but a sissors lift is so tempting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.