Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Becoming Euro-Trash
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Flat VW
Please forgive the topic title, my journalism teacher taught me to be bold with topic lines! IPB Image

IPB Image I have a 72' 1.7 that has brand new "alpine white (soft white)" paint and gold "P" letters on the "hood".
The only other "badge" on the exterior of car is a gold {914} emblem on the right rear in the usual place. IPB Image

Additionally, my car has Perini wheels (thanks Greg Robbins for IDing IPB Image ) that are Mahle look-a-likes with "plain chrome" (unembellished) hub covers.

I would like to know if my car is "badged" as it was when stock and new (USA, USa, Usa, usa, usa usa.... IPB Image)

I would also like to know how a euro model was visually different, also regarding badging.

I am aware that the car was a VW-Porsche in Europe and I was thinking of "rebadging" my car in the "euro style" to match my "FLATVW" licence plate.IPB Image

Comments?

TIA IPB Image
Aaron Cox
USA

P O R S C H E on the engine grill
All Amber front turn signal lenses
Amber sidemarkers
Rec/clear tailights

Badged as a PORSCHe 914 - 6 , 914 2.0 etc

EURO
No engine letter grilles
no sidemarkers
Amber/clear front lenses
Amber/red/clear rear leneses

sold as a VW-Porsche 914/6, etc
Joe Bob
NO Porsche crest on the front hood....no radio or A/C supplied by the factory.
sixnotfour
Dont forget the horn pad on the steering wheel VW. IPB Image
Dave_Darling
For a 72 US-spec car, the gold badge on the rear of the car would only say "914".

A Euro-spec car would have the "VW-Porsche 914" badge instead. Also gold. It would not have the "PORSCHE" on the engine grille, I believe, and it would have a Wolfsburg crest on the horn pad on the steering wheel.

Plus Euro turn signal lenses F&R (F=amber/white; R=amber/red/white), plus no side markers.

There are probably other differences I'm not remembering right now.

--DD
Bleyseng
plus Euro 914's came with kilometer speedos, need one?

Geoff
Gustl
QUOTE (mikez @ Jan 5 2005, 04:59 PM)
NO Porsche crest on the front hood....no radio or A/C supplied by the factory.

no A/C is correct, but there were factory installed radios available in Europe!

as far as I know, Euro-cars were NOT available without the additional lights in the front bumper

no "PORSCHE"-sidestripes available
no bumper tits on the '73+ model
no "FASTEN SEATBELT" light on the dashboard
instruments with "km" scale, not "miles"
no VIN at the driver's side windshield frame
Wolfsburg crest on the horn button instead of Porsche crest

there might be more little differences, but I think the most importand are here
Flat VW
Thanks to all for the responses. IPB Image

I should of also mentioned that I have already installed euro front and rear lenses that I had on my other 75 2.0 that I robbed.IPB Image

It has been in my garage for 18 years, DNR IPB Image .

Does someone know where I might get a VW-Porsche rear badge? Maybe I'll trade ya for my "P" letters on my engine hood! IPB Image

What about wheels?IPB Image

There are some chrome steelies at the VW store available with porsche crests that would be quite "retro looking" on the car. IPB Image

I have placed a wtb ad here with little response. IPB Image

I can buy the new chrome steelie wheels for $88.00 each,(US.) with the caps but I really would like stock. IPB Image

What wheels were offered in Europe? What were the most common? IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

I really like the look of the old steelies but I do wonder if they are much heavier they may be than the Perinis I have? IPB Image

Does anyone know if Perinis I have could have been stock,US?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (sixnotfour @ Jan 5 2005, 08:06 AM)
Dont forget the horn pad on the steering wheel VW. IPB Image

Speaking of European delivery horn pads, the Cap'n hisownself happens to have TWO of them for sale. One is pretty nice, the other less so. Don't hurt each other over this one, kids! The Cap'n
Joe Bob
Pelican, Performance Products, Automotion carry the badges....
Gustl
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Jan 5 2005, 08:17 PM)

Does someone know where I might get a VW-Porsche rear badge?  Maybe I'll trade ya for my "P" letters on my engine hood! IPB Image

still available at Mittelmotor (english)

just look at "Products" - "Parts" - "Search"

model 914 - 0.7 rubber, trim parts - 0.71 ornamental p. - and then click on the number of the desired part (I think you'd need #13)
Cap'n Krusty
That's "Pedrini" wheels, and they came on some cars delivered to dealers. We saw a bunch of 'em in 73 when I worked at a dealer. Mahles were pretty scarce, 4.5" steel wheels were very common, all painted. Many dealers installed various styles of chrome wheels, Rivieras, P/S wheels, and some others. Empi wheels came along later. SOME dealers removed the Fuchs spares and made up sets from the "take offs", installing them on cars they ordered with steel wheels. The Cap'n
Gustl
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Jan 5 2005, 08:17 PM)
What about wheels?IPB Image  

4 1/2 x 15 silver painted steel wheels with chrome cabs were standard up to '73
(Euro model with Wolfsburg crest on the cabs - US model no crest)
5 1/2 x 15 steel wheels ("Beetle cabrio style") were standard from '74 - '76

5 1/2 x 15 steel wheels were optional from '71 - '73
5 1/2 x 15 Pedrinis alloys were optional up to '73
5 1/2 x 15 Fuchs alloys were optional from '73 - '76
5 1/2 x 15 Mahle alloys were optional from '73 - '76
bondo
What about that weird rain light or whatever it was on the rear bumper?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 5 2005, 01:22 PM)

euro cars had an available rear fog light IPB Image
Gustl
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 5 2005, 09:28 PM)
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 5 2005, 01:22 PM)

euro cars had an available rear fog light IPB Image

IPB Image
Flat VW
Ah, rear fog light, now we are getting to it! IPB Image
I suppose that is an indicator light for passing motorists?

No aux lights? (front fog lights)? IPB Image

Perini, Pedrini...... it's all the same thing, thanks cap'n. IPB Image

Gustl thanks for the info. Nice Photograph thanks much. IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Jan 5 2005, 02:30 PM)
I suppose that is an indicator light for passing motorists?

it's red. it's *much* brighter than your brake lights. it comes on with the front fog-lights.
and, you get a hefty ticket if you use then any time *other* than heavy fog (like rain)!

IPB Image Andy
Flat VW
Thanks Sir Andy IPB Image
Dave_Darling
Remember that most VW Bug wheels will have the wrong offset for a 914. With most of them, you will only be able to fit 165-width tires (or narrower!) under stock fenders. The 914 wheels sit more inboard than the Bug ones, and you can fit 195s easily or 205s (in most but not all cases) under the stock fenders.

--DD
Flat VW
Thanks Dave, good advice, I am running 205/55/15 Michelin tires with no rubbing, but just barely. IPB Image

How does one detect if they have "rolled" fenders? IPB Image
I suspect mine may have been by PO. I guess I should compare them to my 75' car. IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Jan 5 2005, 03:59 PM)
How does one detect if they have "rolled" fenders?

the fender arch has a small "lip" of metal that goes towards the inside.
the fenders are "rolled" when that lip is bend upwards and flush with the inside of the fender, thus giving you about 5mm more clearance ...

IPB Image Andy
Flat VW
Thanks, (danka SP? {poor german language attempt}) SirAndy.IPB Image

I suppose the radios were installed by the dealers as in the USA, but what would have been a "common" radio brand?IPB Image

Did one go to the VW store or the "P" store, or either both to purchase a 914 new?

Gustl B, would you know which wheel was most commonly seen on the cars in Europe?

I think here in the US. it was mostly steel wheels originally and over time as more and more cars became usless (junque), that perhaps now a much greater number of US cars now have the "finer" wheels? IPB Image
Gustl
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Jan 6 2005, 04:58 PM)
Gustl B, would you know which wheel was most commonly seen on the cars in Europe?

I think here in the US. it was mostly steel wheels originally and over time as more and more cars became usless (junque), that perhaps now a much greater number of US cars now have the "finer" wheels? IPB Image  

Due to my age I can't tell you what I've seen on the road when they were new. IPB Image
As far as I know it was just the same as everywhere else - first lots of steel, now lots of alloys IPB Image

IPB Image Gustl
Dave_Darling
Brett Johnson, in his "914 Restorer's Guide to Authenticity", lists a number of radios that he says were factory-installed. I believe they were all Blaupunkt or Becker brands. The European ones all seemed to have short-wave band as well as AM and FM.

I am also told that most (or possibly all) radios in US-spec 914s were installed by the (Porsche) dealers. So any brand that would have been current at the time would be appropriate for those.

--DD
Gustl
The Brian Long book lists following radios as options:

M095 - Blaupunkt Wolfsburg (MW/LW)
M097 - Blaupunkt Emden (MW/LW/UKW)
M587 - Blaupunkt Hannover (MW/LW/UKW) with automatic antenna

the Becker radios were only available on the six

I'm a little curious about the fact, that there's no photo of a factory installed radio in the sales brochures, no matter if german, US, french or english?
We all know that they always show well optioned cars in theis sales brochures ...

But radios appeared in the price lists ...

IPB Image Gustl
Flat VW
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.