Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sold the Dog
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Downunderman
After about 16 years and a restoration and many tarmac rallies and race meetings I have sold it. Its gone to a good home (he already has two or three).

I have found a couple of 4's sitting in a shed in Melbourne which I will have a look at in a few weeks time when I am down at the Phillip Island historics. One or other should make a good base for a historic racer. Here's the issue for you blokes; I am limited to a 1.7 plus 1.5mm bore increase, so about 1740cc all up. I can use the existing injection or carbs. I need will need about 170hp out of it. Obviously a lot of revs and compression, but what internals, heads etc??

Whilst I have to use all steel body panels I can use plastic windows and should be able to get the weight down to about 800kg. BTW, does anyone have any photos of cars competing in the era (early 70's) with the windscreen chopped off? That might be an option to get rid of a bit of weight and windage.

Photo of the Dog in its most recent Rennesport meeting livery last year.

Cheers,
campbellcj
Great-looking car there. I hope the new owner treats her well!

Search the web for "Ginther 914" or "Ginther windscreen" images and I think you'll find some ideas re. the chopped front. I don't know how much weight it loses though. Obviously if you have a full rollcage and other safety equipment, it adds back a lot of the weight lost by gutting and removing or swapping glass windows for plastic.
brant
170hp is not going to work with stock fuel injection.
brant
Is 800kg the rule? You should be able to get down to 750kg. Or even 725kg.
Stay away from over bracing. Be innovative and consider 4 lug without venting. Look at my build thread too
Downunderman
It will be as light as it can within the rules. There is no minimum weight, but judging from what the 6 weighs 800kg or less should be achievable. I'm not intending to put any bracing in the body; the cage will do that. It has to stay 4 lug, so thats simple.

I didnt expect the the stock fuel injection would work. It might need some "assistance".

Cheers,
brant
it certainly is a cool project
I've actually been thinking about building another -4 race car similar...
ginther screen and all

170hp is going to be the tough part
everything else is doable

most of the guys running race 1.7's here are in the 120hp range
I know Jake and others have built 100hp/L race motors
but I think those are probably $15,000 to $20,000 motors
so it is not a "easy or cheap" goal to attain

I'm playing with the idea of a legal 2.0-4 with 140hp and 1625lbs on slicks. I bought the chassis (stock in need of all of the race prep) and I bought the ginther screen. I have a core motor... I just need another 40grand and 6 months off of work paid... no problem
stownsen914
QUOTE(Downunderman @ Feb 14 2014, 01:23 PM) *

I didnt expect the the stock fuel injection would work. It might need some "assistance".

I don't think there is anything about the stock injection that will get you anywhere near 170 hp. The throttle body and runners are too small, and the electronics are not worth trying to tune. I think you probably have some carbs in your future.

Sounds like a fun project. Have a blast with it!

Scott
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.