Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seattle area 914 folks - help needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dredwin
Hey Seattle area 914 folks,

I'm wondering if anyone is available to look over a 914 in West Seattle on Saturday with me. I am interested in joining your cult biggrin.gif but need a vehicle to blend in with the masses. Seriously, I have always wanted one and want to take the plunge but don't want to make a poor financial decision on a rust bucket (see my other post about rust...FYI I'm looking at a different car though)

If you are interested in helping out a newbie get his first 914, I'd appreciate another set of eyes. PM me or email me if you can help out.

Edwin
CptTripps
Atta-boy! I'm sure someone will help out. Heck, you may even get some insight on other 914s in the area.

popcorn[1].gif

Is this the one you're looking at? http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/4320900236.html

...and you were VERY right to walk away from this one: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4328198745.html
Dredwin
Nope on the black one. It was a red one that wasn't listed very long located in West Seattle. I did look at that one in Tacoma and practically every one listed in Southern California and Las Vegas where I have family. But I don't have the $ to trailer that far so I'm trying to stick to WA or Idaho.

Hopefully someone with some knowledge will help me out. I have read some other posts on where to look for rust but am hoping someone can help me in person. Either way, I've convinced my wife that my dream of a 914 ownership should be realized. I only took the threat of buying another motorcycle, or getting a pit bull puppy, to convince her that the 914 was the best option. I still might get the puppy though...probably after months after I have a 914 wink.gif

And the yellow one you linked has a lot of rust which I'm not comfortable dealing with now, thanks to the advice of other 914 members. He is showing it at Noon on Saturday if anyone local wants to look at the yellow one.
messix
"Eddie914" lives out there. you might be able to pry him away from work for a little while to look at it with you.

send him a pm
moldygreg
QUOTE(Dredwin @ Feb 12 2014, 07:08 PM) *

Nope on the black one. It was a red one that wasn't listed very long located in West Seattle. I did look at that one in Tacoma and practically every one listed in Southern California and Las Vegas where I have family. But I don't have the $ to trailer that far so I'm trying to stick to WA or Idaho.

Hopefully someone with some knowledge will help me out. I have read some other posts on where to look for rust but am hoping someone can help me in person. Either way, I've convinced my wife that my dream of a 914 ownership should be realized. I only took the threat of buying another motorcycle, or getting a pit bull puppy, to convince her that the 914 was the best option. I still might get the puppy though...probably after months after I have a 914 wink.gif

And the yellow one you linked has a lot of rust which I'm not comfortable dealing with now, thanks to the advice of other 914 members. He is showing it at Noon on Saturday if anyone local wants to look at the yellow one.

I'm in West Seattle and saw this one on Craig's. I recall seeing some rust??

My advice is contact Steve at Auto Services West. He's a Porsche guy in WS and could do a PPI and put it on his lift.
http://www.aswest.net
Tom
Dredwin,
I will be selling my 76 later this spring. Sent you a PM.
Here are a couple of pics. You are welcome and encouraged to bring an experienced 914 guy with you.
Tom
JRust
QUOTE(Tom @ Feb 12 2014, 07:30 PM) *

Dredwin,
Here are a couple of pics. You are welcome and encouraged to bring an experienced 914 guy with you.
Tom

OMG! Is that an equalizer in there under the dash Tom? You should totally buy that Dredwin. If the 914 wasn't priceless before that would put it over the top.
Dredwin
QUOTE(moldygreg @ Feb 12 2014, 07:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Dredwin @ Feb 12 2014, 07:08 PM) *

I'm in West Seattle and saw this one on Craig's. I recall seeing some rust??

My advice is contact Steve at Auto Services West. He's a Porsche guy in WS and could do a PPI and put it on his lift.
http://www.aswest.net

I talked with the mechanic and he says he repaired the battery tray. Looking for help looking at the hell hole and worried about the longitudinals.

Toms car is awesome and I might jump on it if this one doesn't work out. You could tell Tom put a lot of love into his car and I think it is a fair deal. I think the other one might be a steal but I'm not set on buying if it is a rust bucket. I'll keep you all up to date if I get something.
Daiberl
Would love to help but will fly out on vacation Friday, back on 2/24. If you then still need help feel free to send me a PM.
jcd914
Buy the best 914 you can possibly afford.
I owned a 914 when I joined 914world and I have since bought 4 more and finally at Thanksgiving I bought the one I am going to put back on the street.

Jim

Eddie914
Is it a red 914-4 with carbs and a "wing" type rear spoiler and luggage rack?

I have 10:00 AM (2 hours ?) meeting on Saturday, but may be able to break away later in the day.

Cheers,

Eddie
bzettner
QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 12 2014, 09:43 PM) *

Dredwin,
Tom

OMG! Is that an equalizer in there under the dash Tom? You should totally buy that Dredwin. If the 914 wasn't priceless before that would put it over the top.

beerchug.gif TOOK THE WORDS OUT OF MY MOUTH! too funny!
Dredwin
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Feb 12 2014, 08:15 PM) *

Buy the best 914 you can possibly afford.
I owned a 914 when I joined 914world and I have since bought 4 more and finally at Thanksgiving I bought the one I am going to put back on the street.

Jim

Did Tom put you up to this? Good advice though. There are some things I would enjoy doing or trying but at the end of the day, I don't want to waste too much time or money for a car in a lot of need. Tom's car is pretty complete which is attractive since I seem to curse a lot and claim I'm never working on a car again. But can't get myself to pay someone to fix a car for me. I'm going to look at the car the car weekend with a more critical eye but am definitely eyeing Tom's car. And I can save up some money and actually drive my 'new' car instead of potentially have it on blocks being fixed.
Dredwin
QUOTE(Eddie914 @ Feb 12 2014, 08:29 PM) *

Is it a red 914-4 with carbs and a "wing" type rear spoiler and luggage rack?

I have 10:00 AM (2 hours ?) meeting on Saturday, but may be able to break away later in the day.

Cheers,

Eddie

Eddie,

That isn't the car since I'm not a fan of rear spoilers. I forgot to download pics off Craigslist but it looked OK, was fairly cheap (from what I can tell) and am hoping there isn't a lot of rust.

The DMV closes at 3 so that is the only thing we are racing against. He is waiting for the title from Olympia but says you can get a title immediately from the DMV.

I'll PM you if no one else is around earlier. I might also go to a place to have it put on a rack as suggested.

Thanks for all your help guys.
NORD
QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 12 2014, 07:43 PM) *

Dredwin,
Tom

Tom was in the Military and you need to know that he procured a secret Radar Blocker from some craft and that makes his car undetectable to the Law Enforcement. Worth bying the car just for that feature. I think Nate has one also but his doesn't right. driving.gif
rhodyguy
if you can wait awhile you should prob look at/buy tom's car. well sorted, nice interior, great orig color (malaga red. one of my favorites.), tasteful upgrades. well worth the drive over the bridge or a boat ride for a benchmark. once you view a NICE car you'll know in 5 minutes whether to pass or buy on inferior offerings. that tacoma car has been offered off and on for over a year. yellow car? nightmare.
Tom
I see we have hijacked the poster's thread pretty good. dry.gif I apologize!
I talked to him on the phone and he wants to stop by for a look. I encouraged him to bring an experienced 914 guy with him to look it over as I want the experienced guy to be amazed at how original and rust free this car is. No metal has been replaced and only a couple of surface rust areas in the trunk have been wire brushed and sprayed with rust preventive paint.
Thanks for the plug Kevin, we still need to get together on replacing those trailing arms when it gets warmer. Those new poly bushings with grease fittings installed look great. Thanks to Eric!!
As for the equalizer - jealously will get you guys no where smile.gif It has multiple abilities which will not be divulged by me here!
Tom
Dredwin
Thanks for all your help guys. I look forward to seeing Tom's car on Sunday and it helps to know other World members are endorsing it.

914 World has been very helpful, to the amazement of my wife. At least I'll soon have a new hobby and won't spend all my time working.
CptTripps
So? What's the verdict?
Dredwin
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Feb 19 2014, 10:23 AM) *

So? What's the verdict?

Tom's car was great and I'm buying it when it is put back together sometime in Spring. Thanks for all the input and assurances for those folks that know Tom's car. As many folks on here probably experience, this was my dream car...or at least the dream car I could afford that wouldn't make me look like a d-bag or get me a ton of tickets.

The other car I looked at had a lot off issues. The mechanic said there was no body damage but the hood had flown up at highway speeds at one point and messed up the hinge area. There was bondo the thickness of peanut brittle with rust. The repaired battery tray, looks like a HS shop students work with shiny metal and a metal strap. I believe I saw the 'hell hole.' Passenger door wouldn't open from the outside, the brakes were horrible...to the point when I felt like I should open my door and stick my foot out to slow the car like Fred Flintstone. Didn't take it out of 2nd gear and only drove it a few blocks since I was afraid of rear ending someone and having to buy it on the spot.

So the mechanic was...optimistic in his description. The owner had died and his brother/dad were selling the car so they knew nothing about the car. Family was honest and truthful, the mechanic wasn't so much. I probably wouldn't have went if I knew it in advance but it all worked out since Tom found me when I was asking a bunch of questions about different Seattle cars. So it was fate!

But when I was mentally calculating how much it would cost to get it to a reasonable condition, it was way more than I was willing to pay. They will do some more fixes with their mechanic (I'm guessing more bondo, buffing the paint a bit) and relist it in March. But they are not going to get what they put into the car (engine work and now some of the body work). I feel bad for them because of the circumstances and they are nice people. The mechanic, I'm not too impressed with is lack of honesty.

As soon as I take ownership of Tom's car, I'll be cruising the site a lot more. And I'll probably look for local folks in the Spokane/northern Idaho area to bother so I can become more knowledgeable. I'm familiar with my old Infiniti G20 and am hoping I can be as equally knowledgeable about the 914.
Thanks!
CptTripps
smilie_pokal.gif

THAT is how you do it...well done sir.
rhodyguy
exactly why i submitted my recommendation. was it windy when you drove over the narrows?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.