Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To back date 75 bumpers or to leave as stock?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
75porsche914
I purchased another members early front and rear chrome bumpers that are in perfect re-chromed condition. Now ready to re-paint the car back to factory color and with plans of backdating the bumpers. I have been discouraged from doing so from a few 914 owners as they feel a 75 should be stock with the black rubber bumpers.

Hoping to hear others opinions?

Thank you

Peter wacko.gif
'73-914kid
I'm not an originality guy, so I could care less about that aspect. Chrome bumpers look spectacular on 914's, so I would have no problem throwing the big bumpers in the trash....
Justinp71
I changed mine to 1970 bumpers (from 1975), I think it was the best mod that I ever did. Car looks much better and loses weight. I would recommend covering up the large holes in the front of the body for the bumper mounts though.

mepstein
agree.gif I have no love for the BB's
boxsterfan
Chrome bumpers are the way to go if you ask me.
75porsche914
Thanks so much for the support, I totally agree and going through with bac agree.gif kdating.
mepstein
Make sure to take before and after pics
bigkensteele
It is your car, so do what you want. It is possible to backdate the bumpers without (totally) losing the ability to go back to the original bumpers. See my thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=225743

Keep in mind that over 120,000 914s were made, and from a collectible view, a large number remain. Of all cars, '75s are probably the least valuable because they are heavier than the early cars and have less power. The '76 has a bit of an advantage because it was the last year of production.

With that in mind, a completely pristine original '75 914 should probably be kept that way if resale value is your objective. Otherwise, backdating to excellent early bumpers probably increases the value of your car to most of the folks here.

Again, it is your car, so do what makes you happy.
ben*james
Wait stop...! Don't back date and loose your originality just because all these chumps say it's a good idea. Keep your big bumpers, they'll come back in style someday and you will be thankful.... Respect.

Side note....can I purchase the perfect front bumper? I'm not going to use it or anything,.....just want to get it out of circulation.
KELTY360
I prefer body color to chrome bumpers, but either way is better than BUBs. Remember, those were only put on the car because of some govt. bs. While you're at it, lose the fender warts when you do the repaint, you'll never miss them and the car will look so much cleaner.
Elliot Cannon
agree.gif The big bumpers were mandated and (in my opinion) ruined the look of the car. Now you have a choice. Go with the earlier bumpers. You'll thank me (us) later. biggrin.gif
euro911
I'm not a fan of BUBs either, but don't toss them in the trash. There are some folks out here that do want to restore their '75/'76 models to original specs and would gladly buy the set from you if they're in great condition.

Type 47
Top 10 Reasons to Back Date Bumpers

10. Unless your car is a perfect garage queen, originality is a marginal concern

9. Nothing wrong with keeping it original, maybe someone needs your BB’s

8. It’s your car do what you want

7. It’s not that hard to do

6. Chrome

5. Get tired of chrome, put black ones on, get tired of that paint them body color

4. Have you ever weighed BB’s?

3. Did I mention chrome bumpers look awesome

2. It’s how the car was designed, BB’s aren’t on Fran’s design sketch

1. Nothing screams US government regulations like BB’s
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.