Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So I think I have vapor lock
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oldschool
Can Vapor lock happen even while your at a stop light?
I made a few stops today and every time I tried starting my car it just took longer to fire? and when it did, it died down the street at a light. confused24.gif
JStroud
When I was on my trip last year my car vapor locked at least 8 times....three times while sitting at a stop light, five times died while driving at slow speed.

Mostly after freeway driving then getting stuck in stop and go traffic in town, but then it was 100+ each time.

Not fun though, so during my conversion the new fuel pump is going up front.

Jeff
oldschool
QUOTE(JStroud @ Feb 12 2014, 09:04 PM) *

When I was on my trip last year my car vapor locked at least 8 times....three times while sitting at a stop light, five times died while driving at slow speed.

Mostly after freeway driving then getting stuck in stop and go traffic in town, but then it was 100+ each time.

Not fun though, so during my conversion the new fuel pump is going up front.

Jeff

Yeah it never did it before I wonder what changed confused24.gif I don't have the HE hook up to the heater valves could that be a problem?
Dave_Darling
I've only had it happen once in a couple of decades of driving. That was going through the Desert in 100+ degree temps up a long hill.

I think it is more likely to be a mixture problem of some kind than vapor lock.

--DD
KELTY360
Maybe your fuel pump is dying.
Elliot Cannon
My fuel pump has been in the back for 10 years. What is vapor lock??
euro911
Check your fuel filter(s), Jaime.
oldschool
The kid is coming over today to check it out. News at 11 blink.gif
btw its 1973 2.0 FI
SLITS
There was this blond that married a truck driver ...

On their wedding night, he demanded she get on her knees and blow the meat whistle ....

When nothing came of it, he declared he must be vapor locked ...

That's what it is like.
JawjaPorsche
My first vapor lock was in the desert in 100+ heat then it just vapor lock at red lights, while driving, etc.

Moved my fuel pump to the firewall 20 years ago and it has never vapor lock since! beerchug.gif
'73-914kid
Jaime's possible vapor lock issue is something unique I think. He doesn't have heater valves on his heat exchangers, but they're hooked up to the fan shroud, so it hot air directly from the heat exhcuangers is being dumped directly onto the fuel pump..
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Feb 13 2014, 03:20 PM) *

Jaime's possible vapor lock issue is something unique I think. He doesn't have heater valves on his heat exchangers, but they're hooked up to the fan shroud, so it hot air directly from the heat exhcuangers is being dumped directly onto the fuel pump..

He said it does it a lot at red lights. No air moving except hot air from exchangers. Not good! sad.gif
'73-914kid
Oh, and we started the car this morning with no issue..
914_teener
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 12 2014, 10:00 PM) *

I've only had it happen once in a couple of decades of driving. That was going through the Desert in 100+ degree temps up a long hill.

I think it is more likely to be a mixture problem of some kind than vapor lock.

--DD

agree.gif +1

Check the MPS on vaccum.....could be starting to break.

If you think it might be vapor lock get a sealed fuel gauge at HF and mount it inline to be sure. Try to replicate the problem.

My two cents.
914_teener
......ohhhh....and make sure your meat whistle is clean! av-943.gif
KELTY360
JUST BLOW

MDG
QUOTE(SLITS @ Feb 13 2014, 01:05 PM) *

There was this blond that married a truck driver ...

On their wedding night, he demanded she get on her knees and blow the meat whistle ....

When nothing came of it, he declared he must be vapor locked ...

That's what it is like.

av-943.gif
Kirmizi
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Feb 13 2014, 12:20 PM) *

Connect the rest of the ducting of the heating system to control the flow of hot air from the HEs.
IIRC the Porsche suggested removing the caps from the passenger side heater valves in order to vent heated air away from the fuel pump.
oldschool
I'm going to put back the heater valves..that should do it. piratenanner.gif
TheCabinetmaker
The heater valve, when in the closed position, just dumps the hot air. It dumps directly on the pump which is only about 2 inches away. Leave the valve off and cap both tubes. My 73 used to have vapor lock anytime it got above 95. Moving pump to front trunk solved that problem forever.
Dave_Darling
Or put a hose onto the valve and run it somewhere else than straight at the fuel pump. That was evidently a factory-specified retrofit for dealers to do when vapor lock was encountered.

--DD
oldschool
When I first got my car (from the org owner) It never had a problem, But after a few mods. So before I move the pump I'll try putting everything the way it came.
and thanks for all the help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.