Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VENTING!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
d7n7master
WTF.gif
That's two (2) days in a row!! Effin' people CANNOT SEE a YELLOW 914!! ??
EVEN IF IT'S RIGHT NEXT TO THEM!! & it's not like it's QUIET!! It's NOT!!

But they'll pull right over into my lane, like...THERE'S NOBODY THERE!!
AAHHH!!
Made it home. Good Brakes w00t.gif
No thx to those #$%^er's!! stromberg.gif
END RANT
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(d7n7master @ Feb 13 2014, 03:35 PM) *

WTF.gif

AAHHH!!
END RANT

Hard to see any car when they are texting or on the damn phone! sad.gif
effutuo101
I had a good friend sell her Alpha because of too many morons just merging (no blinker, SUV, texting, talking on the phone, etc.) and almost hitting her. She loved that car but was not willing to risk it any more.

The car ended up going back to Italy.
KELTY360
Drive like you're invisible...you are.

Be ultra aware of potential blind spots and move thru them quickly or back off away from them. If you can't position yourself so you have to be noticed then don't get near them. 914s are so small and quick that I'm sure people often think, "where the fuch did he come from?" Most drivers are really lazy and just change lanes without thinking.
d7n7master
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 13 2014, 01:23 PM) *

Be ultra aware of potential blind spots and move thru them quickly or back off away from them. If you can't position yourself so you have to be noticed then don't get near them. 914s are so small and quick that I'm sure people often think, "where the fuch did he come from?" Most drivers are really lazy and just change lanes without thinking.

--
Exactly! I drive my teener like I'm riding my motorcycle. I don't trust anybody.
That's how I got home. Both days. Anticipate what the A-Hole is gonna do next.
Don't be there. Luv 2nd & 3rd gear torque, when applicable... lol
Java2570
As soon as I got my engine back in my car last summer, I upgraded the horns. It only had one horn & it sounded very weak. The first day I took it out, I had to use my horns....expect those drivers around you to not notice you and be a hazard!
As long as you keep your eyes open and anticipate a few moves ahead, you'll be at least a bit safer. driving.gif
poorsche914
I installed a set of airhorns in my 914 when I lived in Clearwater back in the '80s. blink.gif
boxsterfan
Triad exhaust helps. They may not see you but they hear you.
7TPorsh
reminds me i need to hook the air horns back up
JmuRiz
Not really, had a triad on my Ravenna green car, still had SUVs try and merge into me.
I also drive like I used to ride motorcycles.
effutuo101
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Feb 13 2014, 02:41 PM) *

Not really, had a triad on my Ravenna green car, still had SUVs try and merge into me.
I also drive like I used to ride motorcycles.

Like a ghost. Same here. Nobody can see me and I will pass all of them
andys
Driving my truck to work this morning while following a car driving slower than I like with apparently no one ahead of them. Changing lanes, I find the car was following a bright yellow Lotus Elise. Would have never known it was there had I not decided to pass.

Andys
ruby914
Paint it dark, drive faster smile.gif
injunmort
I agree, I drive my 914 like I ride my motorcycles, their job is to kill me, my job is to anticipate their stupidity and and have a planned course of action against it. and so far I have disappointed them. just the way it is, unfortunately.
flipb
My 914 has the factory dual horn, and it's loud as f*ck. I keep a finger on the horn whenever there's a car in the next lane.
damesandhotrods
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Feb 13 2014, 01:51 PM) *

Triad exhaust helps. They may not see you but they hear you.

Sound is directional, and modern cars are pretty quiet. If they have their windows up and stereo going they’ll never hear you. Look at how few people ever notice police or ambulances coming…
snakemain
I have a giant lifted Ford SuperCrew, and people pull out in front of me or try to merge into me on a regular basis. Are they looking under me? Can you not see Bigfoot?!?!
JamesM
QUOTE(d7n7master @ Feb 13 2014, 01:35 PM) *

WTF.gif

AAHHH!!
END RANT

In order to see you they would have to actually be looking!!
ClayPerrine
"Just because you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you."

Assume everyone is on the phone and texting and eating, and changing the AC and changing the radio at the exact time they are changing lanes.

Get the loudest horns you can find.

stugray
I used to drive around mumbling about "should go rob a bank i guess..."

My son asked me what's that mean dad?

My reply: "I might as well go rob a bank because I must be F'in INVISIBLE!!!!"
warpig
QUOTE(d7n7master @ Feb 13 2014, 01:37 PM) *

--
Exactly! I drive my teener like I'm riding my motorcycle. I don't trust anybody.
That's how I got home. Both days. Anticipate what the A-Hole is gonna do next.
Don't be there. Luv 2nd & 3rd gear torque, when applicable... lol

agree.gif Try driving a motorcycle around the streets and freeways of SoCal for a couple of years and it just becomes second nature. NO ONE can see you. Especially if they are looking right at you. And EVERYONE is about to do something stupid. After a while you realize getting angry about it will drive you insane. Just accept that, YOU ARE INVISIBLE!!! Know it! Deal with it! Move on. I don't even flip them off anymore. (mostly)
1970 Neun vierzehn
Being invisible is being stopped at a traffic light with a Cadillac Escalator or a Ford Exploder sitting on your left. You look up, and there's no way you can the driver, and you hope it's not some woman doing her nails, or chatting someone up while holding her Fatbucks Latte. All you can do is pray she doesn't want to turn right at the hair & nail salon just 50 feet ahead. hands.gif
turk22
I watched a woman texting on a freaking Ipad this morning, while driving 10 mph, with 6 cars behind her...

this is why I can't get a Concealed Carry. If I had a gun, I may have shot her... ar15.gif
stugray
I saw a woman driving in 55MPH traffic using... wait for it: "An EYELASH STRAIGHTENER!!"

Most younger men have probably never seen one of these, but it is a contraption that you could seriously injure yourself with while standing perfectly still in the comfort of your home.

Having to lean over into your rearview mirror to use one while piloting a deathmobile at 55MPH in morning rush-hour must have seemed like a good idea at the time ???

I yelled at her and of course got my ass chewed for telling her to just drive the car.

JoeSharp
Got about 1/4 million miles in LA traffic splitting on the white line on bikes.They can't see you even when looking right at you. Freaked a guy out knocking on his window while change lanes with him. He almost spun-out trying to get back into the lane he just left. Probably changed lanes with car a dozen times. I have been sprayded with glass twice.
I found I got the most room using the peace sign.
Buy an air horn, don't be cheap as the cheap ones don't work much better than a stock horn.
On a bike you have to know where all of the cars are. A benefit to that is that you know where all the cops are around you and you don't get as many tickets.
914work
Drive more aggressively...instead of you cursing them, they'll be cursing you.
TeenerTim
I saw a woman eating a bowl of soup or cereal while driving. She was trying to steer with the hand that held the bowl and feed her fat face with the spoon in the other hand.
ww914

Wait! You're from Washington, but you are describing California drivers.
RickS
I have been turned into as well and decided at that point to optimize visibility. I always have my driving lights (replaced the fogs) on - they are just pointed lower as to not blind oncoming cars. I wired my warts to also flash with my turn signals. Added a third brake light which flashes 3 times before going solid red.
I drive very defensively by staying out of blind spots, never changing lanes into some ones blind spot and hang back from dangerous drivers. I have ridden over 20,000 miles on my road bike (15speed) and have learned to trust no one - ever. The more visible you make yourself the better then be defensive until you are on the back roads and tear it up!
Spoke
From 2005:

Yeah these cars are invisible. And I was waiting to turn behind a Jeep; driver didn't see either of us.
messix
QUOTE(ww914 @ Feb 14 2014, 07:17 AM) *

Wait! You're from Washington, but you are describing California drivers.

have you ever been to the seattle area?

that's where the worst of the kali drivers get banished to!
somd914
One problem is the lack of real driving instruction. Until three years ago, Maryland's driving test consisted of a parking lot test - parallel parking, three point turn, backing up, and pulling into a parking space. Oh, plus 30 hours of classroom and 6 hours of driving with an instructor for those under 18.

For us, the recently added driving test is four miles down a country road, turn around at the first traffic light, and return to do the parking lot test.

Another problem is law enforcement. As we have personally found out around here, for those who cause an accident, even with severe personal injuries, they will likely wind up with a lesser fine and fewer points than speeders. Heck, we even saw three third-time DUI offenders leave court with a $300 fine, a few days in jail, and their licenses were not revoked!

As for me, I'm convinced most drivers are idiots, and I drive as if everyone is out to kill me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.