Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: throttle cable install question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rosenfe
when replacing throttle cable,do you pull it out from passenger compartment or engine side.what about install do you insert from cabin to engine.searched for write up here.
stugray
loosen cable on engine end
pull cable down through engine tins lay out towards back
crawl under dash.
loosen locknut on throttle cable where it tightens against the "socket" end piece
torque the socket to the side and it will pop off of the "ball" half of the "ball and socket".
unscrew the socket & the locknut from the cable
pull cable out the back lining & cable together.

Install is reverse
toolguy
before you pull the cable out of the tunnel, tie on a string, pull it out at the firewall with the string attached . . . use the string to pull the new cable back in with. . Point being, it's easy to get it wrapped around the clutch cable if you just shove it back in. . . If it gets wrapped around the clutch cable, the throttle will pull each time you step on the clutch. .
Elliot Cannon
popcorn[1].gif
ehokana
Listen to toolguy. It's a pain when the cables get wrapped on one another. Little tricks like that make life so much easier
TheCabinetmaker
In fourty years of changing cables I have never needed a string to pull the cable, and never had a problem with the clutch cable. Being as the tube is just barely bigger than the cable, there is a chance of the knot getting stuck in the tube. Now that would suck.
Dave_Darling
We have read around here of more than one person who wound up with the knot on the string getting stuck in the tube...

It's easier to do without the guide string. The cable is stiff enough that you can just push it up to the front of the cockpit. You'll have to look to make sure you don't have it wrapped around the clutch cable once you've got it in, but that only takes a few moments.

--DD
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(toolguy @ Feb 13 2014, 06:18 PM) *

before you pull the cable out of the tunnel, tie on a string, pull it out at the firewall with the string attached . . . use the string to pull the new cable back in with. . Point being, it's easy to get it wrapped around the clutch cable if you just shove it back in. . . If it gets wrapped around the clutch cable, the throttle will pull each time you step on the clutch. .

Will this stupid "tip" NEVER die? There's NO room for a knot to pass through the tube.
Don't believe it? Listen to us laugh when you jam it all up and ask for help.

The Cap'n
toolguy
Whoa, big fellow. . . . I said string not rope. . I use nylon upholstery thread.. . and tie it to the cable, not the threaded end so the knot isn't an issue.
I've spent enough time with a mirror and light looking back thru the tunnel trying to straighten out the cables to know to take this easy precaution.
Just my opinion. . use it or not. .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.