Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally have heat in the Teener, but whats that smell?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
offwatch
Who knows how long its been since the heat was last hooked up on this car. It had straight pipes without heat exchangers or the heater blower when I got it.

I finally got the car back running after adding stainless steel heat exchanger they weren't new but looked new. the heat valves which were new and most of the ducting pieces looked pretty clean.

When I pull the heat lever there is lots of heat but I also get a smell that I don't find unpleasant (I am sure my Wife will not agree) but seems to be a combination of hot metal and motor oil. Will this go away after I run it for awhile, or is there some way of cleaning the ducting, or is it just because the air intake is in the engine compartment?

914itis
Could be burnt oil in top of the heat exchanges. Check for oil leaks. Most importantly invest in a portable carbon monoxide detector.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(offwatch @ Feb 13 2014, 07:26 PM) *

Who knows how long its been since the heat was last hooked up on this car. It had straight pipes without heat exchangers or the heater blower when I got it.

I finally got the car back running after adding stainless steel heat exchanger they weren't new but looked new. the heat valves which were new and most of the ducting pieces looked pretty clean.

When I pull the heat lever there is lots of heat but I also get a smell that I don't find unpleasant (I am sure my Wife will not agree) but seems to be a combination of hot metal and motor oil. Will this go away after I run it for awhile, or is there some way of cleaning the ducting, or is it just because the air intake is in the engine compartment?

It should go away after a while, unless you have an active oil leak dripping oil on the heat exchangers of any part of the heating system under the car.
bzettner
QUOTE(offwatch @ Feb 13 2014, 09:26 PM) *

Something about that hot oil smell that is pleasant...I agree! I never have my top on, but I believe the CO/cracked pipes inside the HE's is a very real thing...keep a window cracked. beer.gif
rhodyguy
As you weren't pushing hot air to the interior it can be a combination of issues. Oil/greased up engine bay, residual crud in the he's and the rest of the ducting now warming up. HOT air smell is one thing, oil stench is another. Always start as clean as you can.
914work
Roast Rodent biggrin.gif
Dave_Darling
All of the air coming through the heating system starts out in the engine bay. So if you have oil vapor or other stuff in there, it will get sucked in. Most of it goes through the engine cooling fan, into the S-shaped ducts, to the exchangers. How clean is the inside of the fan shroud, the inside of the S ducts?

Just a little oil can make a whole lot of oil smell...

--DD
ndfrigi
Mine has strong smell when I finally drove it after it was seated as a Non-Op from previous owner for 8 years. There is also an oil leak from Oil pressure switch/sensor which I believe oil is spreading inside the engine tin and goes all the way to the Heat exchanger. So I did replaced the oil pressure switch and it lessen the smell. Hoping I will be able to drop the engine and clean the engine (from inside engine tin) not only with oils but also with other debris inside (hoping not a dead rat).

Just sharing. God Bless!

sixnotfour
gas or electric, or smell
Pat Garvey
Could also be paint "seasoning" on the valves & ductwork. If so, it will go away with use.
offwatch
Took it out again today and the smell has gotten a lot better. Looks like it may just be new heat exchangers and ductwork. I am loving this car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.