Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: What VW is that?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxsterfan
In the middle of this pic from Volksworld, is a blue VW (bus?). What model/year/etc is that?

beech4rd
It's not a VW. It's a DKW van from the 1950s. DKW is one of the 4 rings in the Auto Union- Audi, Wanderer , DKW and Horch joined together in the 1930s to form a united company named Auto Union. VW absorbed the remnants, I think, in the 1960s and only Audi remains.

Click to view attachment
boxsterfan
Awesome! Thanks.
DBCooper
I've never seen the van, that's really cool. This is the DKW I know:

IPB Image

They were built n Brazil though the sixties, one of VW's minor competitors. My brother-in-law was 14 or 15, bought a DKW for pennies, without his father knowing, and stashed it under an overpass not far from the house for joyrides. Until he got caught. Scandal. At the time I had a Saab 96, a four stroke, but had a fondness for the Saab two strokes so I loved the sound from those cars. I remember a three cylinder two-stroke sports racer at Laguna Seca back in the Sixties, Saab engine and I think part of Rubber Chicken Racing. Sounded like a whole pack of angry motorcycles, blew out a lot of oil and made everyone else angry. Very cool cars.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.