Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windage tray - yes or no?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dtjaden
Should I install a windage tray in my 2056 engine street build? Pros, cons. evilgrin.gif
mrbubblehead
if your keeping it stock/wet sump i would. if your going dry sump then yank it.
McMark
Sure. At sustained high rpm it can restrict flow back to the sump. But not an issue in a street car.
Java2570
I'm doing a 2056 build using a 1.7 W serial # case; it doesn't have provision for a windage tray. If it did, I'd stick one in but as it doesn't I'm not sweating it.
euro911
Really? ... 1.7 cases don't have trays?

I'll be digging into my wife's motor soon ... really interested in what we'll find when we open it up - everybody who has ridden in or driven it swears it's bigger than a 1.7 confused24.gif

I've seen tray modifications that allow a greater volume of oil to flow though.
Java2570
My case is from '70 I think; perhaps they added them later on but I was thinking only the 2.0L cases had the slots for the trays. I know my 2.0L has one......
Maybe adding a tuna can oil sump extension would be a good halfway point? I've seen a lot of opinions on both sides of the fence....seems like most folks, if they do put them in, modify them anyway.
nathansnathan
I know the EA 1.7 cases I've split have windage trays. I have 3 of them that do. Bus cases don't have the slots sometimes I've read.
Java2570
So perhaps after '72 it was added to the 1.7 cases? One would think the Bus would've
benefited from having the tray...
JFJ914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Feb 15 2014, 01:04 AM) *

Really? ... 1.7 cases don't have trays?

"W" cases don't have the windage tray mounting recess. "EA" do.
Olympic 914
My '73 1.7 case has the tray. I think it is a EA case...

I saw someone that had drilled a couple extra holes in theirs I think it was one per quarter. any real benefit to this? Or maybe I should ask any detriment to doing this...
Dtjaden
Thanks everyone for your input. I decided to use the windage tray.

Now for the rest of the story. I was assembling my case and following along with Jake's type 4 assembly video. I was down to the last couple of case nuts when I realized that I had not but in the windage tray. Jake's video is for a VW type 4 and there is no windage tray in that assembly. Soo...

I swore a little, split the case again, put in the windage tray and put the case back together. Ah well...

If there is a moral to this story, it would have payed to make a list of assembly steps for the specific engine I was building and not blindly follow a generic video.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.