Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bruce Jenner's 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
meilin4
I bought Bruce Jenner's 914 (the one he bought new back in the day). It's in okay shape, I guess. Definitely not great. It's fairly straight and doesn't have much rust. I have documentation and bought it knowing it was his car. I'm not into restoring cars, I just bought it because I've always wanted a 914, not to restore, but to do some light customization. Question is: Do I customize it? Or sell it and get another 914 for me? In other words is it worth selling? It doesn't run, it definitely needs a lot of work. It would cost about $1,000-2,000 to replace since I live in Idaho and would have to travel and probably tow another one back here to replace this one. I know this is vague, but I'm only looking for vague opinions. Does the fact that it's Bruce Jenner's 914 make it more valuable enough that I shouldn't mess with it and just sell it? Thanks in advance!
r_towle
Best way to know is spend the money to list it on ebay.
Worldwide audience, so you would stand a better chance of finding someone who would place a high value on its provenance.

Put a reserve on it for what you think it's worth, post pics of the documentation, and the car....a the pics of Bruce with the car.

You may get enough to buy a nice clean car if that is your goal
scotty b
put it on E-bay right now with all the documentation. There's probably some twit out there that would buy it just so they could feel like they had a connection to one of the Kardoucheians

Oh welcome.png
balljoint
Maybe he will want the car back once he has his surgery.

mellow.gif
euro911
Just think, he could have done Kim in the back seat blink.gif

... I mean the passenger seat rolleyes.gif

Well, maybe he did her in the trunk sheeplove.gif

laugh.gif
rick 918-S
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
AndyB
agree.gif
Michael N
Here is an interesting clip from an interview from 2009 with Bruce Jenner.

http://www.chron.com/cars/article/56-Ford-...uce-1620204.php

If you have never pulled the trigger on that dream car of yours what would it be?

I have that story. 1976, the year I won the games, was the first year that Porsche came out with the Turbo Porsche. I was driving a $175 VW Bug. That’s what I did when I was training. I drove this ’63 Bug to the track and back. I made no money for the games, I couldn’t make any money. I lived on like $10,000 a year. I had a $145-a-month apartment and I trained, that’s what I did. I trained and ate.

Six months before the games I signed this deal with Adidas. They couldn’t sponsor me, but they could sponsor my track club. And kind of filter expenses through the track club. It just so happens I’m the only member of my track club.

I got $6,000 from the Adidas deal. I now have $6,000. I’m thinking, I get $170 a month and I only spend $400. So I bought this brand-new 914 Porsche, the only new car I’d ever bought, for $5600.

What was the color?

I didn’t like the color. The color was green, but it was the only one they had in the 1.8. I couldn’t afford the 2.0. I took and got some white pin-striping and I put it along the sides just to break it up. My payments were $98, and I’m thinking, how am I going to pay that?

Well, low and behold, right after I buy this little 914, my first new car ever, what does Porsche come out with? The first Turbo ever.

I see this thing and I’m going, is that the coolest car ever? I go into the dealership and check it out and I’m thinking, man, look at this thing!

So I come back and Playboy had done an article on it: ‘Life begins at 3000 RPM!’

You were picturing yourself in it. Cruising down the freeway?

I’m thinking to myself, if I can pull the games off, I will get that car. I’m buying that car. Done deal.

I cut the picture of the car out. I took the picture to Montreal. I was in a bunk bed on the top and I taped the picture of that car above my bed.

So you used it like a focal point.

Yes, and 3 months later it was sitting in my driveway.

Over the years I upgraded it. I kept it for almost 20 years. It was better 20 years later than when I bought it.

I’m sure you opened it up. How fast did you get it?

I had it over 100 but I never really drove it that hard. I’m not a big-hard driver on the street. Too dangerous. I just go to the track and do it.

pete000
One scary dude ! or former dude ! blink.gif
carr914
If a Kardassian sat in it,The Springs & Torsion Bars are probably shot! biggrin.gif
Millerwelds
Return it to stock and hold on to it. The price will double when the sex change is complete and she reintroduces herself to the world.
dw914six
QUOTE(meilin4 @ Feb 14 2014, 06:59 PM) *

I bought Bruce Jenner's 914 (the one he bought new back in the day). It's in okay shape, I guess. Definitely not great. It's fairly straight and doesn't have much rust. I have documentation and bought it knowing it was his car. I'm not into restoring cars, I just bought it because I've always wanted a 914, not to restore, but to do some light customization. Question is: Do I customize it? Or sell it and get another 914 for me? In other words is it worth selling? It doesn't run, it definitely needs a lot of work. It would cost about $1,000-2,000 to replace since I live in Idaho and would have to travel and probably tow another one back here to replace this one. I know this is vague, but I'm only looking for vague opinions. Does the fact that it's Bruce Jenner's 914 make it more valuable enough that I shouldn't mess with it and just sell it? Thanks in advance!

mad.gif i don't think Bruce Jenner having owned the car is too big a deal on resale. Anybody pay more because he/she sat in it? Just saying...I would rather have a better condition car owned by a no body.

Fame will not retard rust.

Good luck though with what ever you decide. It is always interesting to find a car from a celebrity....just not worth any more to me.
Java2570
Would owning Bruce Jenner's car be better or worse than owning John Voight's Lebaron convertible?? Well, at least it's a 914! I don't care much for adding value based on someone owning a car. Ok, maybe Steve McQueen!
Personally, I'd just keep it and do what you want with it; drive it!!
fl3ury
OF COURSE the fact that Bruce Jenner was the car's original owner adds value! Many people will pay a premium for all types of perceived rarity, association or uniqueness. LE cars are a good example of this phenomenon: even without the original paint, they routinely sell for thousands more than similarly equipped cars in superior condition because they come with a piece of paper that lists "U1V9" or U2V9" as the original paint code.

If you are not impressed with the provenance, by all means list the car on eBay as suggested above. With Bruce being in the news so much right now, there is little doubt that you will fetch enough to buy and ship a structurally and mechanically superior replacement.

Plus it would be interesting to see how much interest it generates.
mepstein
I know I could make money from it
Mike Bellis
Restore it and sell it back to Bruce. confused24.gif
JawjaPorsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm2iNNqj2fQ
EdArango
QUOTE(pete000 @ Feb 14 2014, 10:23 PM) *

He looks like my 8th grade English teacher.. Mrs. Walker. lol-2.gif

Ed. www.ed914.com
914_teener
I think He'll....er...She'll go the Michael Jackson route.

As for the car........sure to appreciate in value.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(pete000 @ Feb 14 2014, 10:23 PM) *

He would be a Great Rep. for Low Testosterone supplements beer3.gif

carr914
Sad to say that he was one of my heroes in HS. The guy kicked Ass in the Olympics!
SirAndy
Who is Bruce Jenner? No, seriously, i have no idea ...
confused24.gif
Krieger
US gold medal runner in one of the 70s olympics.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Krieger @ Feb 15 2014, 12:23 PM) *

'76 Montreal. Decathlon gold medalist.
Mike Fitton
Try and contact Bruce, I guarantee he will buy it back.
Jeffs9146

And Father of the Kardassians! barf.gif
carr914
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Feb 15 2014, 08:11 PM) *

Step-Father!
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Feb 15 2014, 05:11 PM) *

Step father poke.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Feb 15 2014, 05:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Feb 15 2014, 05:11 PM) *

Step father poke.gif

Step mother mellow.gif
JawjaPorsche
Bruce and his first wife, Chrystie
Lou W
QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 15 2014, 02:04 PM) *

Sad to say that he was one of my heroes in HS. The guy kicked Ass in the Olympics!

He was pretty impressive, got really strange as time went on though.
Lou W
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 15 2014, 02:18 PM) *

Who is Bruce Jenner? No, seriously, i have no idea ...
confused24.gif

Google can help you laugh.gif
meilin4
Thanks for all the replies guys. I appreciate the help! I know it's very a vague question. I guess I'll just fix up the body and interior, get it running, and then decide. Here's a picture. Thanks again!Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
euro911
Is that the famous 'pin-stripe' ... or a parking lot scrape ?
914Eric
As much as we might all laugh and not be impressed, I bet there is some crazy Kardassian fan out there that would pay a premium for it.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(meilin4 @ Feb 16 2014, 11:13 AM) *

Thanks for all the replies guys. I appreciate the help! I know it's very a vague question. I guess I'll just fix up the body and interior, get it running, and then decide. Here's a picture. Thanks again!Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

welcome.png

Since it is a "celebrity" owned car, document everything before you make any changes or repairs. Especially the pin stripe, If you can make it look brand new, Bruce may want it back and he has the means to buy it.

I wish I could find my first 914... sad.gif
914Eric
Here's another idea. Contact the producers of the show and tell them you have his car and they could do a whole episode on the restoration. The family could give it as a birthday gift, or maybe in celebration of his new self. bootyshake.gif

I'm thinking you could get $10K.
carr914
I thought he was getting Divorced from KardassMom - that would mean no more show for him. Maybe that's why he's making the transition to a she
JmuRiz
Looks like he never shook the Porsche bug...may be worth contacting his people:
IPB Image
He sure has changed since being the worlds greatest athlete, Mr Wheaties, IMSA race driver, wide world of sports-caster, etc...
7TPorsh
QUOTE(914Eric @ Feb 16 2014, 12:23 PM) *

Here's another idea. Contact the producers of the show and tell them you have his car and they could do a whole episode on the restoration. The family could give it as a birthday gift, or maybe in celebration of his new self. bootyshake.gif

Do it evilgrin.gif
7TPorsh
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Feb 18 2014, 08:13 AM) *

QUOTE(914Eric @ Feb 16 2014, 12:23 PM) *

Do it evilgrin.gif

Hollywood has a lot of money. A friend found out his tenants were doing a reality show in his house about halfway through the season. He ended up raking in 25K plus cleaning fees.

I say, offer up the car, and do the restoration on the show. You would be "the restorer".
DBCooper
I dunno, I'd be a little afraid that car could be cursed. I mean look what happened to Jenner. And with any kind of Kardashian connection I'd be inclined to keep a distance, to make sure nothing could rub off on me.

SirAndy
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Feb 18 2014, 09:29 AM) *
make sure nothing could rub off on me

icon8.gif
ConeDodger
What documentation do you have that this is Bruce Jenner's 914? Is it just word of mouth?
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 18 2014, 01:53 PM) *

What documentation do you have that this is Bruce Jenner's 914? Is it just word of mouth?

Word of mouth sorta! Pencil found in glove box with Jenner's teeth marks on it. biggrin.gif
7TPorsh
Hard to believe this guy? was considered to be the best all around athlete in the world.

mepstein
QUOTE(914Eric @ Feb 16 2014, 03:23 PM) *

funny, i was thinking the same thing but with another zero. i would never underestimate the desire of a rich man to get back his first Porsche.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.