Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Case Cleaning and Paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nozzle
Before taking my transmission up to Dr. Evil's for a refresh next weekend, I wanted to clean up the case so it was more pleasant to work on. Had read about 'hot tanking' the case and figured this was a good opportunity. Was curious to see the results and thought others might too. Debated the idea of soda or glass bead blasting and decided against it as I'd always be wondering if I'd really been able to remove all the media from the case interior. So the plan is to get it hot-tank cleaned, clean areas that need it by hand with water-based products and then paint. If it comes really clean maybe use a clear satin, if not then maybe Eastwood's Alumablast.

So here are the before pics. Trans was rebuilt back in the Eighties and has about 30K miles on it now. Based on the oil in the clutch area, I'm guessing the drive-shaft seal had been leaking at some point.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Nozzle
Back from the hot tank cleaning. Much better than before but still pretty stained. Interesting bit of automotive archiology regarding the 'No Oil' writing on the to spine. Maybe an off-the-shelf rebuild?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.