Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Regarding a Factory replacement motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zack914
Can anyone tell me how much a factory replacement motor on a 914-6 affects value or price. Does it decrease the value and by how much? I would say this is a number 1 car for 75k. The seller says that the motor was replaced when the car was new and under warranty. The number on the block has an asterisk on it. I dont know much about this so im trying to learn. Please help. Another question for that kind of money would it be better to wait and find one with a numbers matching car. It seems this might muddy the value some.
r_towle
Have you seen documentation regarding the engine replacement?
ConeDodger
Some but not much. A 914-6 in that condition with only a factory replacement engine is golden.
zack914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 15 2014, 06:22 PM) *

Have you seen documentation regarding the engine replacement?

No I have not. I will ask for that next and make sure he can verify this.
r_towle
I would.
It was common practice to do this on a 356 and provided you have documentation and proof that comes with the car, it typically won't affect the value.

Rich
boxsterfan
QUOTE(zack914 @ Feb 15 2014, 05:56 PM) *

Can anyone tell me how much a factory replacement motor on a 914-6 affects value or price. Does it decrease the value and by how much? I would say this is a number 1 car for 75k. The seller says that the motor was replaced when the car was new and under warranty. The number on the block has an asterisk on it. I dont know much about this so im trying to learn. Please help. Another question for that kind of money would it be better to wait and find one with a numbers matching car. It seems this might muddy the value some.

If there is solid documentation, I don't think it devalues the car. I consider it a little flair that makes the car above the cut of those plain old numbers matching run-of-the-mill cars. :-)
wndsnd
Expect to pay 15% or so north of market value for a car from that seller.

John
zack914
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Feb 15 2014, 08:27 PM) *

Expect to pay 15% or so north of market value for a car from that seller.

John

John, I assume you know the car in question?
Gustl
I'd say the question is, if you - personally - could deal with this situation
if everything else is perfect, and the engine exchange is documented as a factory warrenty swap, I'd say it's fine

but you have to deal with a "non-matching" car ...

a couple of years back, I used to own a 914-6 Sportomatic
it was high grade original, but the tranny was a warrenty exchange
luckily, this was documented at the maintainance record, showing the milage and the date as well as the dealer stamp

but, of course, the COA showed that it wasn't a matching numbers car no longer ...

so, you'll have to make your own mind about this situation shades.gif
zack914
QUOTE(Gustl @ Feb 15 2014, 11:51 PM) *

I'd say the question is, if you - personally - could deal with this situation
if everything else is perfect, and the engine exchange is documented as a factory warrenty swap, I'd say it's fine

but you have to deal with a "non-matching" car ...

a couple of years back, I used to own a 914-6 Sportomatic
it was high grade original, but the tranny was a warrenty exchange
luckily, this was documented at the maintainance record, showing the milage and the date as well as the dealer stamp

but, of course, the COA showed that it wasn't a matching numbers car no longer ...

so, you'll have to make your own mind about this situation shades.gif

Thanks for the input and insight
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.