Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: halfshaft- stub axle options?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SKL1
I'm putting back together my '73 2.0 which has a '70 T front suspension with new calipers from Eric, etc.
In back I found OEM 914-6 trailing arms, and stub axles etc , and assembled with new bearings, and with shaved 914-6 rotors and rebuilt 914 calipers from Eric as well.

I was going to put the halfshafts back in today when low and behold the stub axle diameter is MUCH more than the old 914-4 axle which has a different number of splines. I put OEM 6 stuff on my silver '71 nearly 40 years ago so didn't remember that little problem...

What are my options??? The halfshafts that were on the car are in fine shape...

Click to view attachment
shoguneagle
I take it you are trying to put 914 half shafts into 914-6 stub shafts?? Splines are different for 914-4 from a 914-6; you can get half shafts from Sway-A-Way with the proper splines which will require different CVs.

You could convert the stub axles back to 914-4 and then run the 914/CVs with the 914 brakes.

convert other half shafts such as certain models of 944s

Convert to 914-6 half shafts and CVs.

Appears to be the three options available which requires additional funds and building time. There are threads on this site which goes into these
different aspects and gives very good advice on how to do the conversions,

hope this helps,
steve
Luke M
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Feb 15 2014, 07:59 PM) *

I'm putting back together my '73 2.0 which has a '70 T front suspension with new calipers from Eric, etc.
In back I found OEM 914-6 trailing arms, and stub axles etc , and assembled with new bearings, and with shaved 914-6 rotors and rebuilt 914 calipers from Eric as well.

I was going to put the halfshafts back in today when low and behold the stub axle diameter is MUCH more than the old 914-4 axle which has a different number of splines. I put OEM 6 stuff on my silver '71 nearly 40 years ago so didn't remember that little problem...

What are my options??? The halfshafts that were on the car are in fine shape...

Click to view attachment

Looks like you have a stock 914 4 stub axle to the left and a 911 108 mm stub axle to the right in the pic. What do you have for hubs ? 911 5 lug or re-drilled 4 hubs?

As for options check out the classic section for 5 lug conv.
SKL1
I have factory 911 5 lug not redrilled 4's. Using OEM 914-6 rear rotor shaved to fit rear 4 cylinder rear calipers from Eric.

My body shop guys got the trailing arms at a swap meet and they're from a 6 as they have the proper splines and won't fit the 4 cylinder stub axles... maybe someone just stuck in 911 stub axles because they fit... sad.gif
Luke M
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Feb 16 2014, 01:45 PM) *

I have factory 911 5 lug not redrilled 4's. Using OEM 914-6 rear rotor shaved to fit rear 4 cylinder rear calipers from Eric.

My body shop guys got the trailing arms at a swap meet and they're from a 6 as they have the proper splines and won't fit the 4 cylinder stub axles... maybe someone just stuck in 911 stub axles because they fit... sad.gif

That could be the case as they are pics of 911 stub axles that you posted.
The factory 6 stub axles fit the 911 5 lug hubs but fit the 914 cv joints.
If you want to keep your 914 axles then try to locate some 6 stub axles.
Motormeister sells them I believe.
JFJ914
Otto's used to sell repro 914/6 stubs.
SKL1
Guess I'll need to find some "real" 914-6 stub axles since I've already got the 5 lug 911 hub in the trailing arm with 6 rotors.

The suspension conversion thread of course says they are $$$- surprise surprise.

Suggestions on suppliers???
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.