Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: COTM March April 2014
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shawn914
Congratulations to Ethan ('73-914kid) for winning the COTM contest for March April.

Thanks to all for voting - great turnout for 5 superb examples of the 914.

COTM voting for March - April COTM. POLL CLOSED
Poll will remain open until midnight Feb 28 2014.

Each nominee was asked the following 5 questions - answers appear above each nominee's car.
1. Model Year:
2. Engine: displacement and number of cylinders
3. Color: an "official" name or paint code.
4. Brand and size of wheels front and rear
5. (optional) maximum 4 words you would use to describe car/experience of owning/building
shawn914
Bob – Saigon71

1. Model Year: 1974
2. Engine: Stock 2.0 D-Jet, 4 Cylinder
3. Color: L64K Zambezi Green
4. Brand and size of wheels: Factory Mahle wheels all around
5. Four year restoration
Click to view attachment
shawn914
Chris – campbellcj

1. Model Year: 1973
2. Engine: 2.7L /6 (twin-plug full race build w/ Weber 46s)
3. Color: L32K Phoenix Red
4. Brand and size of wheels: Fuchs 15x8 front, Fuchs 16x9 rear shown in this pic. (additional wheel sets: other Brand and Fuchs 15x8 and 15x9)
5. I'm always changing something!
Click to view attachment
shawn914
Paul – 914itis

1. Model Year: 1974
2. Engine: 914-6 stock 2.0
3. Color: L32K Phoenix Red
4. Brand and size of wheels: Fuchs replica 15x8 with 225x50x15 all around
5. Father and son project

From Paul: This car makes hell of a bond between father and son. Also taught me a different kind of way to be patient. I don't think I can ever sell this car. It's in my life just like my children.
Click to view attachment
shawn914
Ethan – ’73-914kid

1. Model Year: 1973
2. Engine: 2.7 6 built to RS specs
3. Color: Oslo Blue
4. Brand and size of wheels: VTO 15x7 minilites
5. High mileage daily driver

Click to view attachment
shawn914
Bill - WLD914

1. Model Year:
2. Engine:
3. Color:
4. Brand and size of wheels:
additional info to be edited in ASAP (shawn)
Click to view attachment
timothy_nd28
Wow, all of these cars are beautiful! aktion035.gif
shawn914
And more AFTER pictures of Paul's car ....914itis
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=437
614]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
shawn914
Here are some more of Bill's car ...WLD914
BEFORE: Click to view attachment

AFTER: Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
shawn914
Some more pictures of Bob's car ... saigon71

construction: Click to view attachment

AFTER:Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachment
id=437641]
SLITS
Zambezi RULES!
'73-914kid
Finally took those pictures I said I was going to...
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Porschef
Can I split a vote? confused24.gif

Didn't think so, so I'm gonna have to go with Paul. I've seen his car, he's done a real nice job in a limited space, and in record time on the 6 conversion. first.gif

Props go to Bob, for a lengthy restoration that seemed to snowball near the end. Looking forward to seeing it at Her She beerchug.gif

These cars are all beautiful drooley.gif
914itis
QUOTE(shawn914 @ Feb 16 2014, 10:04 AM) *

2 more
dlestep
I voted for Ethan's clean example of a daily driver.
Mostly because of his unique approach and details.
3d914
Man, tooo many beautiful cars to choose from - again!
Awesome job to all - great looking cars.
campbellcj
Hi All! I first got this car in mid-2002, and it's now "version 4" in terms of major changes. Here's a brief rundown of the build.

Before

It started as a very clean, "no rust" SoCal 73 2.0 street car that had been hot-rodded a bit by the PO. He had put a big-bore 2.4L/4 with Webers in the engine bay, Eurorace headers, redone the seats in a nice corduroy fabric, short-shifter, and put on the rear reflector and spoiler.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Version 1

But, I had just sold a really nice stock 73 2.0 and that wasn't what I was after this time around. So, I almost immediately started gutting the car. In went a welded rollcage by TC Design. I also swapped to fiberglass bumpers, and put on a freeflow Dynomax muffler, removable steering wheel, new gauges, alloy pedals, race seats and harnesses, etc. Then I had Ottos do a 5-lug conversion with SC front-end and brakes, bigger t-bars and springs. I ran a few track events this way.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Version 2

I know the Type4 has its fans and merits, such as nice torque. But I was very worried about the longevity of this 2.4 in track use, and had the lust for a /6. So I bought a hot-rodded factory /6 engine that had purportedly been rebuilt with 2.2S parts. It was a mystery motor but turned out to be a great deal and gave me no trouble in about 6 years of use.

Ottos also installed the PMS fuel cell, giant oil cooler, metal fuel lines and other mods during the /6 conversion.

Somewhere along the way, Ottos (John W.) also built me a killer transmission for the car, with 904 mainshaft, short gears, Quaife TBD, billet intermediate plate. I also installed a Rennshifter and redid all the linkage bits, and added the Spa fire system. I added a fiberglass skin top at some point too.

I really loved the car at this point, and ran it this way from 2003-2009 or so without major changes.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Version 3

By 2009 the racing disease had gotten worse and times were good financially so I sprung for a very nice, 0-mile 2.7 built by JB Racing for a customer who'd fallen on hard times. This twin-plugged, Weber 46 carbed beauty went in in the car, with dual MSD 6AL boxes, an M&K "R" stainless muffler, and some trick Getty GT-style deck lids went on the body.

I left the lids unpainted amber for a unique "road warrior" look. Plus, I didn't want to deal with painting the car at that point anyway.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

(To be continued)
campbellcj
Version 4

The bigger engine was really a blast - powerful, and looked and sounded fantastic. Now the car really needed more rubber as the 205's just could not keep the power to the ground. So, I ordered some custom flares from Tangerine Racing (Chris Foley) and set the wheels in motion so to speak for some more major rework. The car went to Kundensport (Ed Palmer) in Camarillo for bodywork, paint and rollcage extensions.

After a couple seasons of pretty heavy track use, the engine was noticeably down on power and showed fairly bad leakdown in one cylinder. So the engine went to Galen Bieker at WerksII in Burbank for what turned-out to be a complete rebuild and upgrading process with extensive new parts and machine work. This was a good choice as among other sketchy things found inside, the 964 oil pump housing had cracked. (It now has a 930 pump.) Galen also rejetted the Webers for top-end, and spent a lot of time optimizing the heads.

Somewhere along the line the car also got Carrera calipers with vented, cross-drilled rotors and both ends, raised spindles, custom-valved Bilsteins, a Smart Racing front swaybar and additional tub bracing.

I added the 911R-style tail lamps to carry the "914R" theme farther along.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

So, there you have it. The car has many, many more mods not listed here and countless hours and dollars poured into it, and of course that's still ongoing. I am working on the dash now and just installed the Racepak G2X data acq system last weekend. I'll probably cover the dash in perlon felt and aluminum, with a factory-looking pod over the gauge cluster.

Thanks for the nomination! There are so many awesome cars and people here. aktion035.gif
Bills914-4
Wow, all these cars are so nice , I guess I should post a few more pic's smile.gif ,

AC system with hot oil pumped from scanvage side of pump up through heater core
& back to tank ,
Click to view attachment

A few pic's of the motor ,
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

a few random pic's ,
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Bills914-4
Here's a few more ,
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

flat towing to ramble
Click to view attachment

here's a chassis dyno run ,this is with 48 dells ,I've since switched to EFI , the dip in the graph is from me stompping the throttle dry.gif , I was supposed to roll into it,
thank you for looking , ( I still want to do another with the efi, just have to find the time, smile.gif )
Click to view attachment

Thanks again for looking , Bill D.
rmital
QUOTE(Porschef @ Feb 16 2014, 03:45 PM) *

Can I split a vote? confused24.gif

Didn't think so, so I'm gonna have to go with Paul. I've seen his car, he's done a real nice job in a limited space, and in record time on the 6 conversion. first.gif

Props go to Bob, for a lengthy restoration that seemed to snowball near the end. Looking forward to seeing it at Her She beerchug.gif

These cars are all beautiful drooley.gif

got to agree with Joe....the time/effort and "results" Paul got with his 914, pretty remarkable. Not to mention his fearless attendance to events...no matter the distance.
AZ914
How the hell am I supposed to pick just one! All of these cars are great!
mtn flyr
+1 for Paul, just hope he gets those headlights to go back down.... biggrin.gif
914itis
The are actually back down.

Thanks
shawn914
Bump for the lunch time review...
icon_bump.gif
914itis
icon_bump.gif
Bills914-4
QUOTE(shawn914 @ Feb 16 2014, 09:51 AM) *

Bill - WLD914

1. Model Year: 1970
2. Engine: 2800 cc efi ,dry sumped, 4 banger
3. Color: silver ( chrysler ? )
4. Brand and size of wheels: empi ? -8 spokes ( 5.5x 15 )
5. Therapy - ongoing modifications & changes ( as money allows biggrin.gif )
additional info to be edited in ASAP (shawn)
Click to view attachment

Bills914-4
By the way I went to a VW car show smile.gif ( the same weekend as being nominated for COTM ),
This was a peoples choice show ,
Thank you for looking Bill D.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

collecting a few smile.gif ,

Click to view attachment

campbellcj
914R and I had a most excellent day at Streets of Willow with Open Track Racing yesterday. Here are are few pics (via Cali Photography):

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I have a bit of a story to go along with this and some in-car video which I'll try to post in my build thread later.
campbellcj
Since we're sharing dyno sheets now, here is one from my previous engine which has now been rebuilt and should do a tad better - slightly higher C/R, significant head work and more careful machining. Keep in mind this was an engine (crank) dyno though so not rear-wheel HP. I will be getting a RWHP number soon for POC classing. (The name on the sheet is who originally ordered the engine but I ended-up buying it.)
shawn914
Bump for a close race with 4 days left.
Vote!
icon_bump.gif
2mAn
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Feb 18 2014, 11:45 AM) *

How the hell am I supposed to pick just one! All of these cars are great!

exactly how I felt
'73-914kid
I know it's late in the game, but figured I'd post these from my drive today..
IPB Image
IPB Image
KELTY360
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Feb 25 2014, 09:17 PM) *

I know it's late in the game, but figured I'd post these from my drive today..
IPB Image
IPB Image

Youngin', much as I think you've got one of the world's best looking 914s there's one thing I don't get.....what the hell is the top doing out of the trunk? confused24.gif
'73-914kid
I dunno actually.. Just didn't feel like taking it off this time.. haha and it was cold. I have a heater, but didn't feel like getting wind blown after class. Thanks for the compliment though, much appreciated beerchug.gif
naro914
anyone that knows me knows I prefer modified, race set up cars over stock. But Ethan, your car is beautiful!!

All of you have done amazing work. It's a shame that only one of you will win...you all deserve it!!
Tom
I agree, they are all beautiful. Ethan's blue one just grabs me every time I look at it. Nice job all of you. As far as I am concerned, you are all winners!!
Tom
shawn914
last 24 hrs to vote.
icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif and icon_bump.gif

jcd914
QUOTE(naro914 @ Feb 26 2014, 05:37 AM) *

anyone that knows me knows I prefer modified, race set up cars over stock. But Ethan, your car is beautiful!!

All of you have done amazing work. It's a shame that only one of you will win...you all deserve it!!

agree.gif

Jim
naro914
Ethan
Couple questions:
Why did you change the color?
And...what color is it? I LOVE that Blue.
mepstein
QUOTE(914itis @ Feb 16 2014, 06:52 PM) *

QUOTE(shawn914 @ Feb 16 2014, 10:04 AM) *

2 more

I love this picture. Future 914 generation. Way to go Paul!
'73-914kid
QUOTE(naro914 @ Feb 28 2014, 04:40 AM) *

Ethan
Couple questions:
Why did you change the color?
And...what color is it? I LOVE that Blue.

To be honest, the blue is just one I picked out of the Dupont color charts.. Dupont doesn't keep very good historical color formula records like PPG does, so I found the color based upon the chip as close to Oslo blue as I could.. I think I got it somewhat close, but wasn't able match based upon a sprayed panel, only the chip book, so it's not exact.

And for the color change, I was never a huge fan of the yellow since I bought the car.. My mom had a cow when she saw that the car I bought was yellow, and I wasn't too fond of it myself. I was more focused on just getting a running and driver 914 at first. But the main reason for the color change was some rust that was starting to form at the lower corners of the windshield frame, and some bad rust bubbles that were forming under the yellow. The yellow was a crappy Earl Sheib respray over the original black, so I didn't feel any sadness to get rid of it. I wanted to just fix the windshield frame surface rust, but that quickly led to a complete glass out paint job.. I didn't complain too much.. biggrin.gif
shawn914
POLL CLOSED

Congratulations '73-914kid!
piratenanner.gif

Final Result (total number of votes = 180

saigon71 45
campbellcj 42
914itis 30
'73-914kid 47
WLD914 16
saigon71
Your car looks awesome Ethan...Congrats! beerchug.gif

I like the color too. smile.gif
turk22
Congrats to all, they are all worthy of winning.

beerchug.gif
Mike Bellis
Congrats Ethan!

Love your car. wub.gif
KELTY360
Well deserved! thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.