Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sloppy gear shift
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cal914
When my 1970 rear shift 914 is in neutral the gear shift is so floppy you struggle to find a gear,also when cold it goes into second[once you find it ] nicely after a little while you struggle big time to get into gear
thanks
GeorgeRud
First step is to replace all the nylon bushings and cups between the shift knob and the transmission. The early 4 cylinder tail shift transmission has the most connection points, so the gearshift does require quite a lot of monkey motion to actually shift the gears in the transmission.

There are plenty of options, all are much more expensive than replacing the bushings and adjusting the linkage.
Cap'n Krusty
The FIRST thing to check is the ball cup under the shift lever. Most common failure, and the easiest to fix.

The Cap'n
mepstein
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 16 2014, 04:15 PM) *

The FIRST thing to check is the ball cup under the shift lever. Most common failure, and the easiest to fix.

The Cap'n

agree.gif Mine was broken and it's a super quick repair.
bdstone914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 16 2014, 03:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 16 2014, 04:15 PM) *

The Cap'n

agree.gif Mine was broken and it's a super quick repair.

And when you pull the shifter check the plate in the shifter for wear. I checked three of them when I went to sell one and found two of them had excess wear if the plate. I might be able to get you a picture of a bad one.
Bruce
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.