Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: motor mounts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orangecrate
I'm putting my 72 back together and need to replace the motor mounts. I don't want to run the stock rubber ones. I'd like something like the WEVO trans mounts but WEVO doesn't make engine mounts for Teeners due to "too many styles" or something like that. The early ones like mine are definately different from the later models. Had me a bit confused until I saw the actual Porsche parts schematic.
MAD914
I'm going to be putting the engine back in the car soon, and I was [naively] thinking of "upgrading" to some aluminum or hard nylon mounts. After researching what more knowledgeable people on this site have said, I have decided to keep the stock mounts. Search for the post titled "Jwest engine mount question, aluminum or nylon?"

- Or search "+engine +mounts".

As my car will only be on the street, I didn't want the added noise, vibration, or chassis stress that the harder mounts would generate. The best advice was to think really seriously about what you're going to be doing with the car.

Hope this helps.

Dave_Darling
If you're using a tail-shift motor mount bar, you can use transmission mounts on the outer ends. The 911 "sport mounts" should work well, and are stiffer than stock. The WEVO transmission mounts should work as well.

You may have to tweak the outer mounting holes, depending on your car.

--DD
orangecrate
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 17 2014, 09:09 AM) *

If you're using a tail-shift motor mount bar, you can use transmission mounts on the outer ends. The 911 "sport mounts" should work well, and are stiffer than stock. The WEVO transmission mounts should work as well.

You may have to tweak the outer mounting holes, depending on your car.

--DD

Let me see if I understand this correctly. I have a tail-shifter trans. Therefore my engine mounting bar is bolted solidly to the engine and mounted "flexibly" to the chassis vs a side-shifter which is flexible at the engine (the "stud" mounts) and solid at the chassis. Because of this design difference I can use trans mounts as my engine mounts with some possible elongation of a couple holes. Is that right? That is the impression I get, but I'm not experienced with teeners yet. Chevy's and jeeps I know a little better. laugh.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(orangecrate @ Feb 17 2014, 09:28 AM) *
Let me see if I understand this correctly. I have a tail-shifter trans. Therefore my engine mounting bar is bolted solidly to the engine and mounted "flexibly" to the chassis vs a side-shifter which is flexible at the engine (the "stud" mounts) and solid at the chassis. Because of this design difference I can use trans mounts as my engine mounts with some possible elongation of a couple holes. Is that right?

first.gif
orangecrate
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 17 2014, 12:41 PM) *

QUOTE(orangecrate @ Feb 17 2014, 09:28 AM) *
Let me see if I understand this correctly. I have a tail-shifter trans. Therefore my engine mounting bar is bolted solidly to the engine and mounted "flexibly" to the chassis vs a side-shifter which is flexible at the engine (the "stud" mounts) and solid at the chassis. Because of this design difference I can use trans mounts as my engine mounts with some possible elongation of a couple holes. Is that right?

first.gif

Outstanding Thank you.
SirAndy
QUOTE(orangecrate @ Feb 17 2014, 11:45 AM) *
Outstanding Thank you.

And as the damp one mentioned above, the 911 "sport mount" transmission mounts are readily available and a bit stiffer than stock mounts.

They make for a good replacement of both, early engine mounts and stock transmission mounts for all years.
smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.