Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crank/cam alignment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Shindog1961
So putting an engine back together all the books say aligning the cam and crank gears just line up the 2 dots on the crank and put the 1 dot on the cam between them. Is mine the only crank gear with no markings? The 1 dot is there on the cam gear, but nothing on the crank. How can you align the gears? Can it be done accurately? Any help would be great.
colingreene
Weird question but is it possible that the crank gear is on backwards?
but if its got no marks on it id just buy new gears.
stugray
The dot on the crank gear is indexed from the keyway.

I have pics at home. If you can get a pic of a gear with the dot that shows the keyway, you can just count teeth.

But my first thought was also that you might have the gear on backwards.
bdstone914
QUOTE(stugray @ Feb 17 2014, 10:39 AM) *

The dot on the crank gear is indexed from the keyway.

I have pics at home. If you can get a pic of a gear with the dot that shows the keyway, you can just count teeth.

But my first thought was also that you might have the gear on backwards.

Unless you are running straight cut gears the teeth would not align if the crank gear were on backwards.
Shindog1961
No marks on either side. Is there anyway to align the gears without the marks?
stugray
Here are some pics of an old toasted crank from a 1.8 motor.

I marked the keyway gear tooth (valley) that lines up with the keyway (@90 deg - 3-oclock) with white paint.
I marked the two camshaft alignment dots ( close to 180 degrees from keyway @~275degrees - 9:20oclock) with white soapstone.
IPB Image

From these you can see that the dots are to either side of the gear valley that is13 counter-clockwise from the valley at the key.
Or 15 clockwise from the valley at the key.

In this one you can barely see the keyway below the white marking on the gear.
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

HTH

Unless you are running straight cut gears the teeth would not align if the crank gear were on backwards.

I believe that you can flip the gear and the teeth will be aligned the same way.
But you might not be able to see the dots any longer.
Cap'n Krusty
IIRC, and I don't have a gear here to look at, there's a relief cut in the inner diameter of the gear to clear the radius on the crank. Putting the gear on backwards should prevent it from fully seating, and that would prevent the snap ring from entering the groove in the crank.

The Cap'n
Shindog1961
Thanks the pics are great that will get me going!

Sean
Dave_Darling
If there are no dots, could the gear be the wrong gear? Maybe one from some other application that (mostly) fits? Does it have the right number of teeth?

--DD
AE354803
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 17 2014, 09:56 PM) *

If there are no dots, could the gear be the wrong gear? Maybe one from some other application that (mostly) fits? Does it have the right number of teeth?

--DD

I had a bad gear on my crankshaft (and a bad crankshaft). I would make sure that it has the right amount of teeth, but for your trouble it might be safer to just replace it. You can do it pretty easily with a 3 jaw puller and a plumbers torch
Part# 021 105 209 A (I got mine from Parts Heaven).

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1849695
stugray
You can do it pretty easily with a 3 jaw puller and a plumbers torch

Funny last time I did that I put my 3 jaw puller on it and torqued it to as much as I felt comfortable with (2 grunts & a fart).

Then I heated the gear carefully with a torch.
Just as I thought it wasnt going to come loose....BAM!!!

The puller and gear flew off and up in the air at least 3 feet.
I need to get a real press....
AE354803
QUOTE(stugray @ Feb 18 2014, 08:33 PM) *

You can do it pretty easily with a 3 jaw puller and a plumbers torch

Funny last time I did that I put my 3 jaw puller on it and torqued it to as much as I felt comfortable with (2 grunts & a fart).

Then I heated the gear carefully with a torch.
Just as I thought it wasnt going to come loose....BAM!!!

The puller and gear flew off and up in the air at least 3 feet.
I need to get a real press....

Exactly, step back and let the puller do its work, just make sure nothing breakable is nearby.
Shindog1961
How many teeth?
cwpeden

Or do you mean broken teeth when it came off? teef.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.