Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Muffler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dbelleperc
What is the favorite muffler around today for you 914-6 guys. Does anybody like the Bursch 914-6 muffler or do you guys just go 911 style. And does anyone have sound clips for the mufflers.
campbellcj
I'm not a big fan of the Bursch, but some folks like 'em I guess.

If you're running carbs or possibly DME/Motronic, your basic options include:

1) Open megaphones -- great top end power, lousy bottom end, sound great but good luck not getting arrested if you drive with them on the street. Not driveway friendly either.

2) 911 sausage style sport muffler (2-in, 2-out) -- strong midrange and top end, very loud and raspy but somewhat streetable. Looks cool too.

3) Stock 911/914-6 sausage. Blah. Performs and sounds great, and looks factory-correct, but not very "inspirational" overall.

4) Supertrapps -- tunable sound and powerband, but look a bit "ricey". Alloy cans like the Coast Fab ones look nicer, but are very spendy.

5) Custom Flowmaster (or similar) -- I haven't seen or heard one of these setups in person, but some guys swear by them. I may have one built as a "quiet" setup for situations where I need one.
ChrisReale
www.triadwestperformance.com makes a sweet muffler for 911 and 914's. I've heard one on a 2.7 Litre 914 and it sounds great. Just another option
Brad Roberts
My stomach gets twisted into knots when I hear people asking about mufflers... barf.gif

GET THE F_ING MUFFLER DONE !! I have NO idea why we dont have a new muffler on the market.

I love the sound of the "wide" sport muffler. The narrow sport is too loud for the street. The "wide" version gains access to a different chambers (and its quieter)

B
Mike D.
I have the bursch and it is LOUD! It's hard to hear the engine when listening for problems.

-Mike D.
Ferg
I have the wide sport muffler brad is talking about, it is pretty loud at idle and below 3k rpm, but it is a mean throaty loud. Above 3k it is pretty quiet and easy to live with. I can carry a conversation at highway speed. Ferg
meursault
What do you mean by "wide?" Wide spacing on the exhaust tips? I fought with the install of a new Dansk muffler with twin exhaust tips coming out of the far ends of the banana on a 911. Is that the wide muffler you're referring to?
Brad Roberts
No. These look like a typical sport muffler but the exit pipes pick up from a different chamber than the twin tips in a factory location. More like a stock 914GT muffler than a typical 911 sport muffler.

B
meursault
I'm confused. I thought the 914-6 GT mufflers and the 911 sport mufflers were essentially the same.

I've seen one variation of the traditional sport muffler on John Straub's 914-6 GT: The rally version, which retains the stock tip so that the duals can be capped for street use.

Could someone bring up pictures of the wide?
Brad Roberts
This is the rallye version .. with not stock tip.

I'm trying to locate a pic for you right now.

B
Brad Roberts
Here is the Flowmaster setup:

B
Gint
Brad! I like that! Who fabbed that up? Do it yourself?
Aaron Cox
no one uses the B & B (billy boat) systems, shown in tweeks and perf. products? mellow.gif
seanery
Billy Boat's stuff is waayyy pricey!
brant
mike G.

I pirated all of the info about this muffler in a thread a month ago. I also went to the track to hear one thats used by a local 2.4 vintage car....

man it sounds great.
It was street quiet too...( a loud street muffler, but enough)

I've got the notes in lamar and could get them for you if you want.
The colorado local one is in use by a half dozen people, and they were getting them made up at local muffler shops for about $150 -200 total.

brad provided the part number and I checked with the track people... its the same one that was on the purple hubble car I looked at. They buy a #xxx flowmaster, and then have a muffler shop add the attatchments.

brad will tell you this, but its a part number for a camaro.
brant
Gint
Brant,

Yeah! I can pop for the Flowmaster and make it up myself. Give me some good MIG practice. I'll take all the info you have.

Thanks!
Aaron Cox
can you make a flowmaster to fit a /4 car? 2 in 1 out or 2 in 2 out?
whats the cost on one of these fab yourself kits?
Qarl
Brad,

Did you ever find the pics of the "wide" 911 sport muffler?

I assume this isn't the Dansk, dual in dual out sport muffler with the curved downward pipes in the ends.

I think I've seen a picture of the mufller you described once.

Any idea of who makes/carries them?

Regards,
Gint
can you make a flowmaster to fit a /4 car? 2 in 1 out or 2 in 2 out?
whats the cost on one of these fab yourself kits?

Sure. Anything is possible. You could use the same muffler probably. The exhaust flanges for a /6 and a /4 aren't that much further apart (they may be very close for all I know, I never really checked). I don't think any one talked of a "kit" to do this though. It has to be made from peices by you or your favorite muff shop.
Qarl
Like this?

This guy welded up the close exhaust pipes and welded in new ones further apart!
Qarl
and here. looks nice!
Brad Roberts
YES!!

I just read you this post again.. I was looking for the GT version. I didnt have the pics at SSI.. I think I have them here at home. Hang on.

B
Brad Roberts
Damn it. Its not on this server either. I think the pics are on the R+D computer at SSI. We are thinking abut duping the OE 9146GT muffler. Looks similar to that one but has larger pipes exiting.

B
Qarl
Yes.. yes. Dupe it. I will buy it! First one is sold!

BTW, I saw the closeup comparison of the SSI HE with the Dansk junk on the PP website. Nice pieces of art you guys make!

Regards,

Karl
Brad Roberts
They are all built by hand.. I should know.. I have been running the stamping machines and trim machines for the last couple of weeks AND working on the 914's. Wears you out.

B
seanery
HAHA...can you remember how to change each of the die?
Brad Roberts
yeah.. its the clamps that kick my ass. Getting them properly loaded is a pain in the arse.

B
meursault
Thanks, Karl. Okay, I see what it is now. So are they going wide for cosmetic reasons, or is there some advantage to changing the location?

At some point, aren't you effectively creating straight pipes out of a muffler? confused24.gif
Mountain914
Love my system but have blown-out seems. Makes a lovely farting sound blink.gif
Hey Gint - you up to welding something like this ??
ss6
Brad, dug up your earlier post regarding the Flowmaster. The picture indicated 2.5" tubing; How do you get from 1-5/8 headers up to 2.5? Is the F/M stainless, or mild steel?
Qarl
I will answer that. I once had that question too and now I know thanks to someone answering it for me.

It's time for me to pass on the knowledge, grasshopper!

The header diameter you're thinking of refers to the diamater of the pipes coming out of each cylinder head.

Each bank of three cylinder pipes merges together to a collecter that has a substantially larger diameter (around 2 to 2.5 inches).

This is where the muffler usually mounts to. So that is why you need to use 2.5" pipes to connect the headers to the muffler!

Brad... did I answer right? See this group is good for something!
Gint
Hey Gint - you up to welding something like this ??

Nope. Sorry Lee. That's stainless.
Brad Roberts
John,

Karl nailed it. We call them "primaries" and "secondaries"..kinda obvious.. The primaries are the pipes that exit your heads (1 5/8 in your case) The secondaries are the short pipes that all 3 of your 1 5/8 pipes "collect" into. Typically your "secondaries" will be 2.5 inch.

B
J P Stein
Brad....I just love when you get technical wub.gif
I had a little trouble with secondary education.
ss6
Ahh, the plot thickens.

First of all guys, thanks for filling me in and not pointing out that the answer was sitting in my garage if I only got off my a$$ and looked.

Second, I did exactly that a few minutes ago, and measured my "secondaries" at 2.0" (OD). As you may or may not remember, these are the !@#$*&^ B&B stainless headers that I've ranted about before. I'm running the Dansk early 911 2 in / 1 out muffler on my bone stock 3.2. The setup works OK, but the sound is underwhelming, and now I'm wondering just how effective those headers really are.

If the secondaries are 2 and not 2.5, is the motor going to be "constipated"? Both those measurements were outside diameters, so the actual flow cross section is less than that, let's say 1.5 in the primaries?
Brad Roberts
John,

I wouldnt imagine the B+B's are holding your engine back.. however.. I promise the stock style Dansk is not helping you in any fashion. We have discussed here several inexpensive options for mufflers that all flow very well compared to a stock type "canister" muffler.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.