Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Schrader valve in the windhsield washer bottle ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
euro911
I was noticing that the washer bottle in the '67 bug has a standard Schrader valve instead of a hose going to the spare tire.

Has anyone tried this with the 914 bottle?

Click to view attachment
edwin
I used one off a kombi. It had a short hose. I don't really like the system though and only ever used it once
nathansnathan
The pressurized washer system doesn't work much better on a bus. I tried to get mine working once and ended up with blown fuses. The problem is the hose to the switch itself will pop off and douse the electrical. It seems impossible to hold that hose on as hose clamps don't come that small.

It is odd that the 914 involves the spare tire in the system.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Feb 18 2014, 06:04 AM) *

The pressurized washer system doesn't work much better on a bus. I tried to get mine working once and ended up with blown fuses. The problem is the hose to the switch itself will pop off and douse the electrical. It seems impossible to hold that hose on as hose clamps don't come that small.

"Odd"? Think about it. If the washer bottle is full, or nearly so, how much air can you put in it at 40 PSI? I'm guessing about enough to put a couple of tablespoons of water onto the glass before you lose the pressure to push it out. The spare acts as a reservoir for the air, allowing you to put plenty of water on the windshield, multiple times. Of course, if the valve fails, you get a spare tire full of water ..............

The Cap'n
nathansnathan
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 18 2014, 08:32 AM) *

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Feb 18 2014, 06:04 AM) *

"Odd"? Think about it. If the washer bottle is full, or nearly so, how much air can you put in it at 40 PSI? I'm guessing about enough to put a couple of tablespoons of water onto the glass before you lose the pressure to push it out. The spare acts as a reservoir for the air, allowing you to put plenty of water on the windshield, multiple times. Of course, if the valve fails, you get a spare tire full of water ..............

The Cap'n

What you do is put less washer fluid in and more air. Odd that it 'worked' well enough for a bus, but they felt it necessary to involve the spare tire in a 914. Unfortunate system both of them.
barefoot
I know it's blasphemy ,but isn't it simpler to convert to an electric pump like the other 99.9 % of vehicles use ??
euro911
I do have an electric pump around here somewhere, and had thoughts of installing it ... I was just curious why other VWs have pressurized bottles, but not the 914? confused24.gif
eg914
I used to have a 69 square back, and the washer bottle was pressurized off the spare. The same for bugs I have driven. It makes sense with the spare and washer bottle next to each other in the trunk.
Not that the system works terribly well. . .
cwpeden
My 68 bug had a hose with a female schrader at each end. One for spare and one for the bottle.

And a wicked gas heater! aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.