Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cable Shifter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
quadracerx
Anybody making a cable shifter in kit form?

Is this any good?

http://www.cableshift.com/914/914%20page.html

Thanks,

Steve
SirAndy
Search here, their kit has been discussed before ...
shades.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(quadracerx @ Feb 17 2014, 03:15 PM) *

Anybody making a cable shifter in kit form?

For what transmission?

jim_hoyland
Monkeyboy ( screen name) has a cable shifter made specifically for the 914. You might want to ask him.
monkeyboy
That's the one I am running. Only works with a side shifter.

It's a nice little kit, but you will need to make your own mount for the shifter base. That kit is designed to put your 914 drivetrain into a sand rail.
r_towle
Any good?
Shorter shift?
Could you post some pics of the shifter base you ended up building?

Rich
ConeDodger
McMark is making one for a 915 transmission. In the past he has sold kits but I think he is getting away from that... Too many people who just can't execute unless you hold their hands I suspect. dry.gif
partwerks
Tried that. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

Got the Renn shifter, and for the time being, back to the customized shift rod, but end of next month with be putting in the shift rod with spherical bearing, U joints, and console bracket with two bushings. Hopefully I can go over the engine cradle, on the WRX. Won't know for sure till I get it on the hoist for a closer look.

Click to view attachment
r_towle
I know about all the parts to make it better from the stock standpoint, but none of those address the poor position of the shifter itself, and the long throws and reach...or the banging of the knees for us tall guys.

I was hoping to leverage some cable shifter solution to re-position the shifter a bit higher and closer to the driver, add in a console of sorts to rest my arm....then be able to tighten up the shoulder straps a bit more...

Rich
monkeyboy
I will grab some pictures tonight if I can.

I like it, but I have never driven a stock 914. I don't know what the stock shifter feel is.
worn
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 28 2014, 07:13 AM) *

I know about all the parts to make it better from the stock standpoint, but none of those address the poor position of the shifter itself, and the long throws and reach...or the banging of the knees for us tall guys.

I was hoping to leverage some cable shifter solution to re-position the shifter a bit higher and closer to the driver, add in a console of sorts to rest my arm....then be able to tighten up the shoulder straps a bit more...

Rich

Hey Rich,

I think some of the throw is actually in the tranny as indicated by our Evil Dr. My son is tall too. I wonder about getting a shift lever and say, well heat part of it to cherry red and maybe reshaping it to suit your physique. Do you think that would help?

I have an old pick up and the shift lever is about 4 feet long, but the Hurst still works. Of course there the throw is from knuckles on the dash back to denting in the bench seat.
r_towle
QUOTE(worn @ Apr 28 2014, 02:14 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 28 2014, 07:13 AM) *

Rich

Hey Rich,

I think some of the throw is actually in the tranny as indicated by our Evil Dr. My son is tall too. I wonder about getting a shift lever and say, well heat part of it to cherry red and maybe reshaping it to suit your physique. Do you think that would help?

I have an old pick up and the shift lever is about 4 feet long, but the Hurst still works. Of course there the throw is from knuckles on the dash back to denting in the bench seat.

From what I recall, if you bend the shifter, it may hit something like the seat.

With a cable shifter, you could move the shifter up and closer to the driver, and then you would not need to lean forward as much to shift.
Throw could still be the same...

Heck, you can cut the shifter shorter and make the throw shorter...but you still need to lean forward to shift it...

rich
naro914
Rich
you put in a Rennshift yet?
I really like it, we have it in both cars. Both Nadine and I have no problems shifting - I sit with the seat all the way back, she with it all the way forward. No leaning forward to shift...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.