Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Radiator Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
It's a 1990 VW Scirroco radiator if that helps. The hole size is 1/2" ips nom. See 2nd pic with 1/2" PVC nipple threaded in. It would also require an o-ring or gasket to seal. Any idea's or should I head to the junk yard? TIA, Kent

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
steuspeed
Temp sensor for electric fan I believe. Should have two blades for wires to attatch. It's possible the later Scirocco had a molex connector. Looks like your wires are cut anyway.
Cap'n Krusty
Fan switch. Some have 1 circuit and 2 wires, some have 2 circuits and 3 wires (one speed or two). You'll need this to control when the fan runs and when it doesn't. They use either a thick paper or copper gasket (I prefer the paper one). Switches run 10-30 bucks. You'll need a wiring diagram to determine which switch and how to wire it. The wrench you need is a 29mm, but a 30mm will work.

The Cap'n
76-914
I should have said this is a 914 conversion. Suby drivetrain w/factory Suby ECU to control the fans. I need to plug it but a sender might be the easy route.
Cap'n Krusty
There is a plug, but I have no idea where you'd find one. Needs to have a machined flange for the seal. You'll need to relay the fan.

The Cap'n
computers4kids
I have a wiring diagram for you happy11.gif I can even show you which relays work best lol-2.gif sorry, couldn't resist.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
timothy_nd28
lol-2.gif
76-914
Good one. lol-2.gif beerchug.gif And Cap't, it does appear to have a raised flange for washer contact.
ruby914
There should be a temp sensor on the motor. It seems, that would be a beter place to check the temp.
I think, I pluged the hole with a temp sensor, not wired up.
mittelmotor
Here's a fan switch from JEGS:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/16730/100...CFdeUfgodfWcAKQ

Even though I have fan trigger wires from the ECU (Chevy LS1 fuel-injected conversion), I like the simplicity of this switch-triggered setup that's supplied by Renegade Hybrids.

I have dual Spal fans, and I was a little surprised at the amp draw at startup...spikes at a little over 40 amps (I know this because a 40-amp fuse lasted "a little while"). 60-amp protection, er, currently. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
76-914
QUOTE(mittelmotor @ Feb 18 2014, 02:45 PM) *

Here's a fan switch from JEGS:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/16730/100...CFdeUfgodfWcAKQ

Even though I have fan trigger wires from the ECU (Chevy LS1 fuel-injected conversion), I like the simplicity of this switch-triggered setup that's supplied by Renegade Hybrids.

I have dual Spal fans, and I was a little surprised at the amp draw at startup...spikes at a little over 40 amps (I know this because a 40-amp fuse lasted "a little while"). 60-amp protection, er, currently. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Yea thx but that one is ips or tapered thd. I'll need something with a washer as the Cap'n mentioned.
mittelmotor
I just threw that switch out there as a quick example. My fan switch originally had a fiber washer that dripped a little bit, but I changed over to an O-ring seal plus some sealant and it's been great.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 17 2014, 07:11 PM) *

Good one. lol-2.gif beerchug.gif And Cap't, it does appear to have a raised flange for washer contact.

I was speaking of the flange on the plug that could be used there. The fan switches have that sealing area incorporated in the design. To answer the switch availability issue, the VW OE or OES switch would probably be best because it's readily available in a variety of temperature ranges, it's cheap, and it fits without fooling around. The paper gasket works fine, or you can opt for the copper washer. There's no relief for an o-ring, so that would be one of the last things I would look at for sealing the joint.

The Cap'n
2mAn
never knew they made Sciroccos in 1990 poke.gif How does that fit in the frunk? Any pics?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(2mAn @ Feb 19 2014, 10:55 AM) *

never knew they made Sciroccos in 1990 poke.gif How does that fit in the frunk? Any pics?

They didn't. '89 was the last model year.

The Cap'n
TravisNeff
88 was the last year, and that was my first brand new car. I sure miss it!
76-914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 19 2014, 10:52 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 17 2014, 07:11 PM) *

I was speaking of the flange on the plug that could be used there. The fan switches have that sealing area incorporated in the design. To answer the switch availability issue, the VW OE or OES switch would probably be best because it's readily available in a variety of temperature ranges, it's cheap, and it fits without fooling around. The paper gasket works fine, or you can opt for the copper washer. There's no relief for an o-ring, so that would be one of the last things I would look at for sealing the joint.

The Cap'n

All good info though I'll stay away from the crush washer. I'm afraid it wouldn't seal well against the plastic face of the radiator. I'm glad you've retired. It gives you more time to answer questions. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(2mAn @ Feb 19 2014, 10:55 AM) *

Doug, Look in my build thread http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=201776&hl= there are several shots of it installed. And maybe it was a Golf or Jetta. I'll have to look back. And somebody needs to set Wikipedia straight on this.......... Volkswagen Scirocco
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Volkswagen Scirocco
VW Scirocco III 2.0 TSI front 20100410.jpg
Overview
Manufacturer Volkswagen
Production 1974–1992
2008–present
Body and chassis
Class Sport compact
Layout Front-engine, front-wheel-drive
Chronology
Predecessor Volkswagen Karmann Ghia

The Volkswagen Scirocco is a sport compact coupe produced by the German manufacturer Volkswagen, undergoing two generations of development between 1974 and 1992 and reintroduced in a third generation in August 2008.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.