Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: inside door latch does not open door
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rosenfe

on my 73 ,the inner passenger door latch will not open door.ive got panel off and rod is connected,it moves when i pull on inner door latch,but will not open door.outside handle does work.ive tried to search,but no luck.
TheCabinetmaker
The pot metal handle has broken. You'll see where when you get it off .
rosenfe
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Feb 17 2014, 06:02 PM) *

The pot metal handle has broken. You'll see where when you get it off .

so outside handle would still work,even if pot metal is broken?
76-914
That or he got the wrong length screw in there.
Bob L.
If you find nothing broken, try cleaning and lubing the latch mechanism. Mine was difficult until I did that.
Dave_Darling
The screw is probably no longer in the handle if the door panel is off. So that's probably not the cause.

But it is worth remembering--switching the window crank screw and the screw for the bucket behind the inner door handle can result in a handle that won't pull out quite far enough to open the door.

--DD
rosenfe
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 17 2014, 09:42 PM) *

The screw is probably no longer in the handle if the door panel is off. So that's probably not the cause.

But it is worth remembering--switching the window crank screw and the screw for the bucket behind the inner door handle can result in a handle that won't pull out quite far enough to open the door.

--DD

yes screw is out,but what about the other end of rod,its still attached to mechanism and moves when i pull inner door latch.do i just take it all apart?hard to see in there.
Mikey914
It is possible the door cam (the plastic part that slides on the lock), Is flexing enough to not push the mechanism in the door in enough to open it. Look at it 1st, it's a know weak point.
Bob L.
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 18 2014, 10:28 AM) *

It is possible the door cam (the plastic part that slides on the lock), Is flexing enough to not push the mechanism in the door in enough to open it. Look at it 1st, it's a know weak point.

Wouldn't the plastic cam only affect the outer handle?
Mikey914
Sorry, I was thinking outer. You are correct.
It probably is a switched screw.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 18 2014, 09:30 AM) *

READ THE THREAD! He said the screw isn't in there, which is common when the door panel has been removed, which he also said.

On a couple of occasions in the past, I have had to shorten the length of the rod by introducing a couple of bends near the mid-point. Before doing that, I suggest you carefully inspect the inner handle for cracks, as well as the point to which the rod connects to the latch. I have a couple of good latches, as well as some inner handles. They've been in the classifieds for a while.

The Cap'n
rosenfe
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 18 2014, 10:06 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 18 2014, 09:30 AM) *

READ THE THREAD! He said the screw isn't in there, which is common when the door panel has been removed, which he also said.

On a couple of occasions in the past, I have had to shorten the length of the rod by introducing a couple of bends near the mid-point. Before doing that, I suggest you carefully inspect the inner handle for cracks, as well as the point to which the rod connects to the latch. I have a couple of good latches, as well as some inner handles. They've been in the classifieds for a while.

The Cap'n

thanks for all the input.i will examine the door latch when i get home.that seems the likely problem.
rosenfe
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Feb 17 2014, 09:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 17 2014, 09:42 PM) *

--DD

yes screw is out,but what about the other end of rod,its still attached to mechanism and moves when i pull inner door latch.do i just take it all apart?hard to see in there.

you guys were right,i screwed up.when i took door panel off to check latch,i had put screw back in so as not to lose it.it was the window crank screw i realized after reading all the above info.anyway thats why it didnt work in the first place,wrong screw,idiot me.thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.