Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition Coil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CG-914
These morning when I wanted to go to work car would not start (still crank though)
It gave me starting problems in the last couple of days and in the end some hick ups while driving. After digging into the hole fuel system I figured out it must be the ignition.

The Mallory distributor cap is pretty fried so I figured its that (see pic)

But after doing a spark test directly from the coil it won't spark. So I'm guessing the coil is bad too. I did an Ohm test from side to side and from the center to ether side and I'm getting 3.5ohms and 350kohms.

I have the blue Bosch coil on it.
Should I get the same coil again or something else like a MSD coil?
Any suggestions, part numbers?

Thanks

Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
Ed and I were just talking about this.
Mallory's distributor caps have a very long center pin, and their rotor electrodes are surface mounted on the plastic body, exposing the edges.
If the cap is installed crooked initially, its easy to have the pin unknowingly hang up on the side of the electrode, and the pin will snap off when the cap is pushed into alignment.
We tested this a few minutes ago on a new distributor to verify, and I would have snapped the pin if I had forced the cap into position.
To prevent this likelihood it is important to align the cap carefully before pressing down and engaging the clips.

Cornelius, your cap appears to have been operating with a broken pin for quite some time.
I doubt there's anything wrong with your blue coil.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.