Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve Adjustment- How Do I Know I Need One
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
Running a 2.0 with Weber 40 IDFs. I had the valves adjusted and carb tuned (tuned?) about 4 years ago. I have maybe put 1000 miles on and off on the car over that time.

What are the signs when things start going out of whack?

The car seems to be running a little rougher, starting a little harder. I hear inhale/exhale sounds when it's having trouble starting.

Bob L.
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Feb 18 2014, 10:23 AM) *

The car seems to be running a little rougher, starting a little harder. I hear inhale/exhale sounds when it's having trouble starting.

Sounds like valves are a good suspect for this. You should check the dwell/timing as well... heck just do a full tune up. It's been a while.
Mblizzard
Vacuum leaks? Dirty jets? Stale fuel? All good things to check.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Feb 18 2014, 08:23 AM) *

Running a 2.0 with Weber 40 IDFs. I had the valves adjusted and carb tuned (tuned?) about 4 years ago. I have maybe put 1000 miles on and off on the car over that time.

Porsche mandated valve adjustments at 3000 miles until the 1974 model year. From that point, 5000 miles was specified. The engines didn't change, the amount of service a manufacturer could require for warranty purposes did. 1000 miles in four years? In your case, it sounds like you simply don't drive the car enough.

The Cap'n
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 18 2014, 09:47 AM) *

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Feb 18 2014, 08:23 AM) *

Porsche mandated valve adjustments at 3000 miles until the 1974 model year. From that point, 5000 miles was specified. The engines didn't change, the amount of service a manufacturer could require for warranty purposes did. 1000 miles in four years? In your case, it sounds like you simply don't drive the car enough.

The Cap'n

agree.gif Shelf abuse...
monkeyboy
In the case of low mileage like that, I would change the oil, and adjust the valves once a year just out of caution.

Dave_Darling
The symptoms that you need to check your valve adjustment:

- The reading on the odometer says you've driven 5000 miles since the last one
- The calendar says it's been a year since the last one

Noisy valves can be a symptom of needing an adjustment. So can valves that are not noisy--and that can be a much more serious problem...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.