Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cold Air Intake System
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pvollma
Is anyone familiar with the cold air intake system from OS Intakes? I've exchanged a few emails with the guy, but he seems very cautious about revealing a lot of information about his system, I guess for fear that I will steal his idea. I like the fact that it picks up air from below the car, and includes a hydro-lock device to prevent water from entering the system. Let me know if you have any real experience with this vendor -- not really looking for comments on why I shouldn't consider it.
nathansnathan
Weird, when I go to the site, the counter says only 2 visits ever, so you the op must be the first ever to have gone to the linked site? biggrin.gif
jim_hoyland
Looks like the intake tube passes through the heater hose duct hole ?
76-914
only 2. are you the owner? idea.gif
Mark Henry
Nice bends....not even mandrel bent... exhaust tube from a local FLAPS.

18-20 hp on a 914 that's 18-20% increase on some bent tube...I call total fucking bullshit on that.
Does he have some real independent dyno testing to prove those claims. I think not.

Scam.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 18 2014, 07:23 PM) *

Looks like the intake tube passes through the heater hose duct hole ?

agree.gif

Looks like he's sucking in air from under the car? You know, where it's really HOT ...
blink.gif
tomeric914
Oh for the love of God...

This is a great quote from his page, "Cold air performance has never been introduced to Volkswagen Type 1, to my knowledge, at least quite like my design." blink.gif

5' of undersized tubing draped across the engine is SURE to improve performance.

IPB Image
JamesM
Does it come with a "type R" sticker? because that is where the REAL power is!
zambezi
That looks horrible and i am sure it is totally useless if not harmful to the horsepower
Mark Henry
There was a guy, way back when the club first started if not before, who did every low buck trick to improve performance,. He did find running an intake up the roll bar into cool air gave a slight increase in power. But we're talking a very slight increase, no 18-20hp.
JoeSharp
Demick worte a thread on Rennlist that showed where the coldest air in the engine bay is and how to tape into it. He did plenty of research to back up what is was saying.
4 hp for 4 dollars.
I found a link on Pelican but I can't make it work here.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Feb 18 2014, 08:59 PM) *
Demick worte a thread on Rennlist that showed where the coldest air in the engine bay is and how to tape into it. He did plenty of research to back up what is was saying.
4 hp for 4 dollars.
I found a link on Pelican but I can't make it work here.

It's here too, i remember that post. Can't find it right now ...
dry.gif
Bleyseng
The Chuxster did a bunch of tests too using pipe to get cold air. He got 2hp with the best setup on a 914 2.0L on a real dyno.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Feb 19 2014, 05:46 AM) *

The Chuxster did a bunch of tests too using pipe to get cold air. He got 2hp with the best setup on a 914 2.0L on a real dyno.

That's who I was thinking of I just couldn't remember the name shades.gif
Bulldog9
Cmon guys, everyone knows its easier to breathe through a straw..... the longer the better right?

I cant imagine a worse place to out an airintake not to mention on a low car. Road debris dirt dust small animals not to mention water mud..... and I dont mean the amount that would cause hydro lock. I think youd have to clean the filter and intake housing frequently. Kudos for innovation but this doesnt look like a great idea. 18 hp..... lol
sfrenck
In my newbie days, I bought the "warm air intake" from this guy because my car didn't come with the stock filter housing. I asked him prior to purchasing if his system would fit under the stock rain tray, which he said it did. Needless to say when I put the rain tray on it did not fit and he would not return my emails.

Ran it without the rain tray for a couple months of test driving and then the vacuum hose fittings started falling off of it. Into the trash it went.

I would avoid buying from this person.
pvollma

Thank you, sfrenck! You're the only one who actually read my request for information on the vendor, not the efficacy of the cold air intake. I've always questioned the location and size of the stock air intake on the 2.0L, especially given the aerodynamics of getting air into the engine bay at speed. My plan is to do my own evaluation of a solution, so I was curious as to whether or not this vendor was someone I wanted to include in that evaluation. You've answered that question. Thanks again.
brant
The fact that cool air is constantly pulled down into the engine bay by the design of the cooling system. This would mean that the stock air filtration system is already a cold air intake and stock is likely as good or very close to anything you could replace it with
nathansnathan
Checking it on my work computer, the counter resets. Other browser it resets, so it just tells you how many times you have been there on the browser you're using... which doesn't give the site too much credibility as that's not how counters usually work.

The guy seems pretty wacky based on the email responses that 'Steve' got on page 2 of this samba thread about it.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=339079

"So Steve how many you want of my REAL cold air systems?. So Steve tell me do you want one for that NON bolt on high horse power type 1 boy racer beetle?. Hey Steve for an additional cost you can even get my optional floor scoop/hot air isolation box AND how about this Steve maybe you can even get my NEW jet air REAL cold air intake system that goes to the ground for that sweet 125hp type 1 boy racer bug. yah yup ok that's right Steve"

So Steve how many? lol-2.gif
rhodyguy
Rocket science. The ones that blow up on the launch pad.
brant
wow...
read the VW thread
the guy is a real ass.

boxsterfan
Anybody ever tried to use NACA ducts in the rocker panels to get cold air intake?

My thought is this:

1. Ditch the jack points in the longs. sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

2. Put NACA ducts in this area (or just behind the jack points if step #1 above is not desired) sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif Note: The duct should go through the long (ie. into the interior of the long).

3. Run the piping up through the longs and out through a hole in the engine bay sheet metal (hell hole area). sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif Heck, there is already a hole there anyways on most cars! lol-2.gif

4. Note: This would be done on driver and passenger sides with corresponding hole in the the driver's side "heck hole" (since it is usually not as bad as the passenger side).

Ok, that should be clear as mud. brain.gif
walterolin
Anybody belong to Linkedln? He is profiled there:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/bob-hulton-2a7541b0
Mueller
QUOTE(pvollma @ Feb 19 2014, 05:37 AM) *

Thank you, sfrenck! You're the only one who actually read my request for information on the vendor, not the efficacy of the cold air intake. I've always questioned the location and size of the stock air intake on the 2.0L, especially given the aerodynamics of getting air into the engine bay at speed. My plan is to do my own evaluation of a solution, so I was curious as to whether or not this vendor was someone I wanted to include in that evaluation. You've answered that question. Thanks again.

The use of "I think x amount of HP increase" should be enough for a grown adult to want to avoid this product.

Any company that belives in their products dyno or show real data.
Chris Pincetich
i made a custom cold air intake after seeing Demick's post and I think some stuff from Trekkor, because the parts were from Home Depot or something biggrin.gif
The ABS plastic elbow hose clamped to the throttle body with large diameter extensions up to the small engine screen where it sucks cold air have served me well for over 8 years. I drive a custom hot-rod!!! beerchug.gif aktion035.gif smoke.gif
malcolm2
QUOTE(walterolin @ Feb 8 2016, 09:31 PM) *

Anybody belong to Linkedln? He is profiled there:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/bob-hulton-2a7541b0

He has 4 connections..... is that counter like his web page counter...? av-943.gif

I found this on Samba about the product....

"But for every shiny or brightly colored lollipop there is a potential sucker"
NFBrown
Air intake under the car is a bad idea even with some kind of water trap. Years ago I bought a dead Alfa that had eaten water when it was driven through a big puddle. The intake was just above the bumper and the air cleaner had drains. The poor car had two bent rods and two cracked cylinder liners.

Nick
76-914
I wont comment on his product but he certainly has command of the English language. shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.