Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eliminating Heat Exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bulldog9
The rust monster destroyed my heat exchangers, and for this initial build I will be going without them. I'm exploring some alternative heat options (in #770 update) and have made some headway, but for now I will be going without exchangers, and need to figure out what to do with the normal outlets in the shroud that connect to the exchangers and then cabin.

What is the best way to deal with the air outlets in the fan shroud? I could Fill with JB weld, but not a good idea if I ever decide to or if I stumble on a set of exchangers (unlikely) but dont want to just leave open.........

found these, too bad they will not work http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/130830510710?lpid=82
bdstone914
I would use silicone rubber to attach the flappers on the fan shroud to the shroud. If you do not have them cut some out of thin aluminum. The would not be too hard to scrape off if you do go to heat later.
SirAndy
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Feb 18 2014, 07:03 PM) *

I would use silicone rubber to attach the flappers on the fan shroud to the shroud. If you do not have them cut some out of thin aluminum. The would not be too hard to scrape off if you do go to heat later.

agree.gif

Seen it many times, just put a bead of silicone around the little flappers to hold them in place.
I've also seen them wired shut, but i don't remember exactly how that was done.
idea.gif
jcd914
If I remember correctly (always a big if) I have read where testing showed blocking the outlets off disrupted the air flow in the blower housing and caused a net lose in cooling.
That said, I have a 2.0L engine with headers and the outlets are blocked with small aluminum plates.

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.