Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powder Coating Trans Case?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
quadracerx
Couldn't find any threads for anyone who has successfully powder coated their transaxle case?

I'm also looking for a good side shift transaxle case to try coating in the Seattle area?

Any hints?

Thanks,

Steve
monkeyboy
Powder coating is an insulator. You want the trans to shed heat.

It may not kill the trans, but it won't help cooling.
skeates
Why the powdercoat? They don't rust. Plust the coating seems like it would impead the heat transfer through the case which is what keeps the tranny from getting too hot when pushing it hard.
Matt Romanowski
The racing guys have been doing a black teflon on the inside and out that makes the case look really good and gives some good benefits on the inside.
quadracerx
Thanks for your input guys... I was hoping that maybe Dr. Evil would chime in?

The "black thermal coating" sounds good.

Thanks again,

Steve
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(skeates @ Feb 20 2014, 11:10 AM) *

Why the powdercoat? They don't rust. Plust the coating seems like it would impead the heat transfer through the case which is what keeps the tranny from getting too hot when pushing it hard.

The Mag does rust. It just looks different. I have seen some pretty corroded cases. The best ones are the ones that leaked and had oil and grease all over them. Nice protective layer. There are lots of coatings. Techyl (sp?) another is Gibbs brand. Never used any of these. Lots of threads on this topic
skeates
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Feb 20 2014, 12:08 PM) *

QUOTE(skeates @ Feb 20 2014, 11:10 AM) *

The Mag does rust. It just looks different. I have seen some pretty corroded cases. The best ones are the ones that leaked and had oil and grease all over them. Nice protective layer. There are lots of coatings. Techyl (sp?) another is Gibbs brand. Never used any of these. Lots of threads on this topic

I guess you learn something new everyday if you're not careful! I was under the impression that the magnesium alloy used for these cases protected it from oxidization and corrosion from water. Seems like all of the grease and oil I've seen on mine (and other's) was due to failed gaskets and/or seals, not because the case had corroded to the point where it not longer sealed. Got any pics? I'd be interested to see what kind of damage this does...maybe we should all be paying more attention to our cases?

...never mind....I'm guessing most of them are already protected by the oil and grease covering them. happy11.gif
rhodyguy
my guess would be the coating would keep the heat IN and the cool away. clean it, be done with it, and save yourself a bunch of money.
skeates
My new found ignorance at Magnesium alloys has got me excited! Found these links that you might find useful:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...protection.html

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...9&hl=tectyl

http://www.keytometals.com/Article19.htm

I'm still not exactly sure how BIG of a problem case corrosion is, but I could see it being important if you've recently had your case media blasted. Based on the minor bit of research I did I the "Tectyl" product seems to be the clear winner.
Dr Evil
Tectyl is shit. It wears out too soon. You have to reapply it.

Mag most definitely rusts, and if you live in the rust belt you know this.

I dont powder coat, i just use a good paint. Make sure it is very clean, of course. I have used Rustoleum out door spray paint with good results. It protects the metal and lasts longer than the tectyl stuff, and it is easy to find.

As for heat dissipation, armchair engineers like to pontificate on the matter, but the truth is that paint is not going to make or break your case when it comes to heat. Either leave the protective layer of oil and dirt on (seriously), or if you clean it off you must put something on it.
How about a shot of clear coat so it looks normal vs bring painted red, blue and or violet mellow.gif mellow.gif
Rand
How about leave it the f alone? The tranny case is the last thing you should be worrying about on this car. Oy. Don't do for do's sake. Do for things that make sense.
Rand
QUOTE(Rand @ Feb 21 2014, 10:25 AM) *

How about leave it the f alone? The tranny case is the last thing you should be worrying about on this car. Oy. Don't do for do's sake. Do for things that make sense.

But then again, I never heard the reason for wanting to powder coat your tranny.....

Mark Henry
When is the last time you saw someone laying on the ground examining your trans?
KevinP
Did a Bug transaxle about 6 years ago for a buddy. I did it in a Dupont Teflon that I had left over from another job. Still looks good to date and he says he hasn't noticed anywhere its come off. I can't tell you anything about any cooling issues but I don't think it would be a problem. smile.gif
Dr Evil
Paint is a protective measure. I dont care what color it is. Clear, black, purple. It is a barrier to oxidation that is necessary. Something, if not paint (which is very readily available, easy to apply, and cheap), needs to be put on the outside of the case. You dont just leave a clean case exposed to the elements and not expect erosion and failure.
somd914
My car spent its first 30 years in Connecticut. Hell hole, right long, sail panels, and a few smaller spots here or there looked like swiss cheese before restoration. I rebuilt the tranny two years ago at one of the Doc's tranny clinics. I have to say the tranny case is in great shape.

Sure, magnesium corrodes as does aluminum. But I'm not worried about the tranny or engine case - I'm leery of other body rust cropping up...
steuspeed
How about Alumablast paint from Eastwood? I started painting my Alfa transaxle with it and the finish is very nice. I can't say how well it lasts since it's still on jackstands.
Dr Evil
Sure. I also have used a product from the POR 15 people that looks like brushed Al and lasts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.