Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Painting chrome bumpers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruby914
Anyone experienced in painting chrome bumpers? I suspect stripping the chrome is best.
So, Is there a preferred method? Or can it be etched to the point that a primer will stick?
bulitt
I would be interested in this answer also. I know caswell makes a stripping kit. Easy off? Media blast? Flap disc?
pt_700
i tried de-chroming a cast aluminum motorcycle wheel before checking it's true-ness...

man, that stuff's tough. unless you have a lot of time and don't mind hard work, just take it to a plating shop.

stripping the wheel cost under a hundred in regulation heavy san jose.
boxsterfan
Sell the chrome bumpers and buy a painted set (and then repaint to your desired color) from someone else? Might make money or break even after painting.
worn
QUOTE(ruby914 @ Feb 20 2014, 09:09 AM) *

Anyone experienced in painting chrome bumpers? I suspect stripping the chrome is best.
So, Is there a preferred method? Or can it be etched to the point that a primer will stick?

I think you can treat them as though they were steel with paint on them that you can't get off. So sand with a fine grit and prime. I would prime with epoxy and then use body filler as needed and then a high build sandable primer. With hard metal like chrome there is no point in using rough grit btw. The course won't have a chance to bite, so finer grit will actually sometimes give better scratch for paint adhesion.

I think the worry is that the chrome will flake away under your nice paint job, but if you get rid of the loose chrome at the start, the rest is sealed from the environment and shouldn't deteriorate further. I have some that I think will go that route. To funky to show on their own and replating can be a hassle.

I just anodized some parts I made yesterday - I am trying to match the car color. Bahia red. Pretty close on the first go.

Mikey914
Any thought as to the plasti dip material? Not sure how durable it is, but I have heard of it being used in automotive applications.

Would be cheap and easy, and reversible.
ruby914
QUOTE(worn @ Feb 20 2014, 09:37 AM) *

QUOTE(ruby914 @ Feb 20 2014, 09:09 AM) *

I think you can treat them as though they were steel with paint on them that you can't get off. So sand with a fine grit and prime. I would prime with epoxy and then use body filler as needed and then a high build sandable primer. With hard metal like chrome there is no point in using rough grit btw. The course won't have a chance to bite, so finer grit will actually sometimes give better scratch for paint adhesion.

I think the worry is that the chrome will flake away under your nice paint job, but if you get rid of the loose chrome at the start, the rest is sealed from the environment and shouldn't deteriorate further. I have some that I think will go that route. To funky to show on their own and replating can be a hassle.

I just anodized some parts I made yesterday - I am trying to match the car color. Bahia red. Pretty close on the first go.

For bumpers this may be the best answer, to chip, sand ... acid clean and etch remaining rust, epoxy prime...
Still have to worry about hidden rust.
Stripping aluminum may bring up other issues. I just looked at my door handles and remembered someone painted or powder coated theirs. That may be my next project.

In a separate thread, I was going to hit you up on your anodizing also. Maybe you could show off your goods in a separate thread. poke.gif
ruby914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 20 2014, 10:03 AM) *

Any thought as to the plasti dip material? Not sure how durable it is, but I have heard of it being used in automotive applications.

Would be cheap and easy, and reversible.

I am sure Plasti Dip is an option like a vinyl wrap but I am looking for the most robust and durable solutions.
Thanks
Maltese Falcon
Mike, give a call over to Astro plating in Van Nuys near the Sepulveda Costco.
I think that they are still stripping chrome.
You don't need to get near Potassium cyanide( or other chem.), pay them to do it.
Marty
TheCabinetmaker
depnding on how good the chrome is, I would probably trade you pair ready for paint.
bulitt
I would never paint a good set of chrome bumpers. They are dented up pretty good. So the hammer and sandbag, primer and paint to come. smash.gif
boogie_man
I sanded mine with 40 grit, then 80 grit, then 150. Sprayed etch epoxy to seal it and then did the hammer/dolly work and creamed the entire bumper and blocked it out and used a 2 part primer. Then guide coat it and block out with 320 to 400 dry or wet, paint. The better you prep the chrome the better it will stick, sending the bumper out to get blasted works well too. Good luck
boxstr
Find a painted one , don't ruin chrome bumpers by painting them.
Craig at CAMP
earossi
To the best of my knowledge, you will not get paint to adhere to chrome for long. And, the only credible way to remove chrome is to use reverse electrolysis, which a plater can do.

If you are "fortunate enough to have a chromed part that was plated incorrectly, then the chrome plate may just flake off. For instance, a lot of platers today will skip the copper strike phase of plating and go directly to nickel which will not adhere well to base metal.
carr914
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Feb 20 2014, 12:27 PM) *

Sell the chrome bumpers and buy a painted set (and then repaint to your desired color) from someone else? Might make money or break even after painting.

agree.gif
jmmotorsports
i have a chrome shop strip them it is the best way to get the chrome off

jerry
ruby914
The first bumper that the car came with had rust holes in places and wasn’t worth cutting holes in for the radiator. It hit the trash. This one is very rusted some dents but still solid. Solid with 2 big holes for air flow. Some rust spots pushing through so it will need to be prepped well. I don't like chrome but I would not strip and paint a good bumper.

Oven cleaner is over rated, only tickled it. Reverse electrolysis sounds logical, but not a back yard thing.

Marty,
I'll look into that. Gardena also has a lot of metal processing. I’ll look around. That would remove all uncertainty, as to if any more rust will pop up in 6 months.
beerchug.gif
69telecaster
I've had a number of chrome bumpers sand blasted, including a '70 914 front...very light. The guy used a finer sand and it came out perfect. I filled some dents and painted it body color (black), and it looks great.
Grinding and sanding chrome will generate dangerous dust, so take appropriate precautions if you're going to try stripping or roughing it that way.

cm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.