Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: LA or SJ Car Shows
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brent
My two boys truly enjoyed jumping around the back seat of the $79K Phaeton, nice of VW to make this playground available.

Sucks that the 996 / 911 's are always inaccesable, but you can try a Cayenne on for size. IPB Image
Kargeek
I'll be at the LA show this Saturday. I have tickets form the BMW club to attend a special early AM Bimmer presentation then walk the show. A number of years ago we got to go on press night with no public. Got to sit and play in the exotics before they were locked up and roped off to all. Dave H
Brent
I can't beleive this subject isn't getting much response. My heart skipped a beat when I saw "Car and Driver" row, at San Jose. CD had some actual concepts there I beleive based on their artists renderings in past issues. My hopes were they were going to produce the 914 as in their concept drawing, but they did not. They were some cool cars for us concept fans.

I will go back in the next couple of days and take more pics, also a hobby of mine.
Brent
OOPS, sorry pic is Motor Trend, not Car and Driver...whatever. Its not Exce11ence or VW&Porsche so who cares really.
MattR
I was going to go to the LA show, but I think im going to skip it. I went last year with a press pass, so it kinda spoiled it for me. "Sir, would you like to sit in the enzo? maybe take some pictures? any questions?" "eh, no thanks".

Seriously, if you ever get the chance to go on the press day or you really want to spend 300 on that "premium" pass (not worth it IMHO), its quite an experience. They open up all the gates and let you sit in almost anything, talk to spokepeople, and watch debutes. And NOBODY is there. You get all the media stuff you want, releases, etc.

I just dont get a thrill from new cars. Some people brag to me "I just got a new WRX" or something, but its so easy to open your wallet and drive off the lot... for me the fun is trying to find a car, work on it, and make it yours!
MattR
Brent, that picture was in Motor Trend a while ago (a year?). They came up with about a dozen sketches of cars that they would like to see retro'ed. I cant remember which car won, but I think it was a cuda or something.
Mrs. K
We are going. My 13 year old son said that I must go with him this year
because they have a whole area just for Porshes. Old ones up to the newest
models. Did you see that last year Matt, and was it cool?

Lisa IPB Image
MattR
Im kinda ashamed to say it, but I didnt go to the porsche exhibit last year IPB Image

We got there at about 1pm and it closed at 4, so I went to see all the cars I hadnt seen before. There are like 2 halls that have the fun cars (ferrari, lotus, saleen, etc.).

BTW, if you ever have a chance to sit in a 360 challenge car, they are the most comfortable cars ever designed! Proper placement of everything...
Mrs. K
QUOTE (MattR @ Jan 6 2005, 03:10 PM)
Im kinda ashamed to say it, but I didnt go to the porsche exhibit last year IPB Image

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
Matt! I am shocked! I'll take some pictures for you this year
(if they let you take photo's, that is)

Lisa IPB Image
Brent
I've been to the car show in Long Beach, but not LA. In San Jose they featured Mustangs last year, and cars from Fast and Furious. This years featured cars are GTO's or goats. They get local car clubs to pull some of there best for the show. Of course, this year GM is releasing the new GTO.

Porsche needs a new model, then maybe 914 concours and AX winners could be displayed.

I will pull some pics of the Car and Driver section, then you would see why I was thinking of the MT 914.

Another car by Dodge (Razor- take off of the scooters) was a small little 2 seater, with a bunch of Billet stuff like side mirrors and tachs. That was refreshing to see.
MattR
If you're going just to see cars on display and sit in new cars I would suggest the International Auto Show in Anaheim. Less traffic, fewer people, more time to play with dials in cars, etc. You wont see many "new" cars there, but it seems like most of the major unveilings are done in Detroit, Germany, and Japan now days though...
neo914-6
I used to love these shows but the SJ and SF shows mostly feature dealers inventory. Nice to compare if you are shopping but l like the concept cars. LA as I remember had the most and I suspect the Detroit did as well. Probably since these cities have the two top design schools in the US. I attended the SJ show tonight and blew through it in just over an hour. No Carrera GTC, not even a new boxster. The Datsun Z club was there so there's not reason we can't show off some nice 914's. These shows are nothing compared to the SEMA show in Las Vegas. True, alot of bling there but you can't discount the vast amount of new ideas and manufacturers.

Brent,
How is the 3.8L V6 project going? I hope to organize a "V8" (conversion) Bay Area meet as soon as weather permits. Hope you can make it. PM me your contact info.

The MT 914 drawing has been posted many times on this board. The artist is known to tweak perspectives which makes for great illustrations and we all dream of a modern 914. I will reveal "my" interpretation of a modern 914 design soon...

Felix
Brent
Hey Felix,
Will PM my contact info. My Projects are in Limbo. My cars are being stored 100 miles away until money starts rolling back in (had to move out of the house/garage). Been out of work for far too long, and now the wife is the breadwinner, but she likes the cars too.

The original PO did shotty work on the conversion. I replaced the enginebar (too long ago to remember where from), had the first gear lengthened at HPH. At this point, I may want to replace with v8 since I'm closer to that point already, and need insider advice on how to go, so a get together would be great.

I guess I just missed a gathering at the Great Mall, which is a mile away from me (North San Jose by Milpitas).

Thanks for the invite, BTW my Brother in Law lives in Willow Glenn, on a court known for their Christmas Lighting, off Carmel.
ChrisReale
I went to the auto show in San Francisco. All I wanted to see was the Carrera GT, which I did, but there were some other cool cars as well. A really cool exibit was the SCCA race car area. Had a BMW 2002, a few Formula Fords etc...
Meredith
I've gone to the San Jose show the past couple of years with my dad. Last year was great, with the "40 Years of Mustangs" exhibit. IPB Image

No car show for me this year, bummer. But next year for sure...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.