Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Source for cranshaft/fan bolt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bulldog9
Got my crank/flywheel/fan stuff back and it looks like they lost the bolt that mounts the fan/fan mount to the crank. I know it is an M8X30, and assume It needs to be a hardened bolt, just wondering where you guys get this misc hardware.
Matt Romanowski
Depends where you are. Tractor Supply has decent metric hardware. You want a grade 8.8. I've also heard that CAT dealers have a good metric supply.
TheCabinetmaker
did they lose the washer too?
Harpo
Is the bolt a hex or hex flange? I can get you one most likely it will be 8.8

LMK

David
stugray
Ace hardware carries hardened Metric bolts
Cap'n Krusty
The bolt you need has a flange with a serrated surface. You also need a large, thick, flat washer that will cover the end of the hub. The bolt isn't hardened, IIRC, as it doesn't actually hold anything once the hub is firmly in place on the taper and woodruff key.

The Cap'n
Harpo
Hey Captain,

Are the serrations clock wise or counter clock wise?

DAvid
Bulldog9
The washer is still there, and it was a hex flange bolt with serrations. I'll pick up a hardened bolt. Just wasnt sure about the finer details and if this was a particular bolt. I think I know why they diddnt include it, looks like they buggerd up the first few threads where the bolt threaded into the crank. WHen I was checking to see what I had and might fit thinking I had misplaced it, I couldnt get a bolt to thread in by hand, took a flashlight and saw that the first few threads were stripped. I definitely diddnt send it out that way. After looking at the flywheel washer (with 5 holes) and the washer for the fan pulley and the deep grooves in them, it looks like some garage gurilla maroon had the air pressure turned up on the pneumatic air ratchet and really cranked down. My mechanic would have no idea who did it as they sent it out to one of the few shops in my area that does this and the stuff was out for 3+ months so everyone had the double shouldered salute....... I was able to clean up the bad threads (2-3 turns) and there is plenty for the bolt to catch well.

This is why I ABSOLUTELY HATE putting my stuff in someone else's hands........ My mechanic is great, if I knew he wasn't going to do it but farm it out I may not have gone that route, but it is what it is....
Mblizzard
If you don't find one let me know and I gan get you a used one. But will be a week or so before I could ship it to you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.