Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: KEP Subaru/901 adapter kit removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruby914

I am going to replace the 901 with a Suby trans soon and was wondering about the flywheel weight. I called KEP and they didn't know how much theirs weighed, or the weight of the stock flywheel. They use the, that looks good method. This car is a DD so don't want to pull it out just yet.
Their kit works good. I don't know the difference to anything else so maybe it is heavy?
I have always felt the WRX revs up slow, off the bottom, compared to my stock 2.0 FI type 4.
Does anyone know the weight of the KEP flywheel compared to the stock 02 WRX? confused24.gif TIA
Mike.
76-914
IDK the flywheels weight but the Suby pressure plate is 11.5 lbs. Rnellums has his Suby sitting out. Maybe he can weigh the flywheel for you. idea.gif
skeates
I just got an Exedy set-up and am waiting for some flywheel bolts to install. My kit came with a lightened flywheel that is supposed to be something like 14lbs so it's not the stock, but I can weigh the whole set-up (clutch disc + flywheel + pressure plate) when I get home tonight. I'm not super excited about the lightened flywheel, but the price was right at the time. Down the road I may be replacing it with the stock single-mass flywheel...only time will tell.
skeates
Ok Just weighed everything, but keep in mind that my scale isn't all that accurate:

Flywheel: 12.6 lbs (This is a lightweight one!)
Clutch disc: 3.4 lbs
Pressure plate: 11.1 lbs

Total: 27.1 lbs

I think I read somewhere that the stock flywheel weight for the '02 WRX is something like 22 lbs. So, if you keep everything stock just add 10 Lbs to the total weight above. I figured I'd throw in a gratuitous picture of my shiny new flywheel below. Got the bolts today from the dealer and will be getting everything installed and torqued down tomorrow! aktion035.gif

Click to view attachment
ruby914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 21 2014, 01:48 PM) *

IDK the flywheels weight but the Suby pressure plate is 11.5 lbs. Rnellums has his Suby sitting out. Maybe he can weigh the flywheel for you. idea.gif

He has an EZ30D so maybe the stock one is too different. The one he has listed is a Lightened Flywheel.
ruby914
QUOTE(skeates @ Feb 21 2014, 10:18 PM) *

Ok Just weighed everything, but keep in mind that my scale isn't all that accurate:

Flywheel: 12.6 lbs (This is a lightweight one!)
Clutch disc: 3.4 lbs
Pressure plate: 11.1 lbs

Total: 27.1 lbs

I think I read somewhere that the stock flywheel weight for the '02 WRX is something like 22 lbs. So, if you keep everything stock just add 10 Lbs to the total weight above. I figured I'd throw in a gratuitous picture of my shiny new flywheel below. Got the bolts today from the dealer and will be getting everything installed and torqued down tomorrow! aktion035.gif

Thanks, 22# sounds like one of the numbers I saw earlier today.
My biggest question is the KEP Flywheel. There is no telling what it's weight is and that is all I have to reference. My thought is a lighter car can go a little lighter than stock but I don't want to over shoot buy too far.
Maybe I should look for 18#... unless that is what I have now. Then your 12.6 is looking good confused24.gif

PS, nice photo
GS Guy
Ruby,
Just pulled mine out of storage. This is for the 9" KEP adapter kit and stage 2 clutch.

Flywheel: 20lb 8oz (welded style)
PP and disc: 14lb 0oz (stage II)

This is on a pretty accurate scale. I once asked KEP if they could lighten this flywheel and all I got back was "no". I think a large portion of the weight is in the center hub?

Notably, Outfront lists their 9" "monolithic" flywheel at 15 lbs. Mine is the older welded style which is reported to be a few lbs heavier.
Jeff
ruby914
QUOTE(GS Guy @ Feb 22 2014, 04:49 AM) *

Ruby,
Just pulled mine out of storage. This is for the 9" KEP adapter kit and stage 2 clutch.

Flywheel: 20lb 8oz (welded style)
PP and disc: 14lb 0oz (stage II)

This is on a pretty accurate scale. I once asked KEP if they could lighten this flywheel and all I got back was "no". I think a large portion of the weight is in the center hub?

Notably, Outfront lists their 9" "monolithic" flywheel at 15 lbs. Mine is the older welded style which is reported to be a few lbs heavier.
Jeff

Great, that is what I was looking for. I don't recall a weld but it may have been machined off. I feel safe in presuming what I have is about 20#. And that Outfront designed theirs closer to my application than Subaru was thinking at about 22#.
15# +/- 3 seems to be the target.

Thanks, Jeff
ruby914
Good reading on the 02-03 WRX STI FW and clutch...
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1058210 and http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread...ight=12342AA050
rnellums
Are the flywheel bolts non-reuseable?
skeates
All of the reading I did indicated that they are re-usable. I had to order some since the ez36 engines only came with automatics and the flex plate bolts are very different then those for a manual.
rnellums
Thanks!
ruby914
This is the flywheel I have in mind.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPETITION-CLUTCH...15c&vxp=mtr
It is not a lot but If I could I would rather go maybe 16#
I see 15# for the 2004-2012 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI 2.5L TURBO
but not for the 02 wrx? I understand it is a larger diameter clutch but the ring gear is the same. I don't know if the complete 04 FW and clutch set will fit? confused24.gif
Anyone ever heard of upgrading the 02 WRX with the 04 WRX/STI setup?

For the guys that have had their conversions up and running. Has anyone used a lighter FW? Anyone feel the shutter, CEL light come on?
With the KEP set up, I can let out my clutch in first with no gas and come to a smooth roll with out problem.
If the stock OEM FW was used, does it feel a tad heavy for the street?
ruby914

A little icon_bump.gif for the guys driving with a Suby motor and trany.

My WRX with the 901 and the KEP kit feels OK. I feel the FW maybe a little heavier than I need even for street use and that is what it will be used for.
Now that I am changing to the Suby trans, I purchased and received a new 14# FW and separately received an Excedy clutch kit.
Well, the clutch came in with only 4 springs, not the 8, I was hopping for.
I have heard problems with the Excedy replacement WRX clutches, shutter and squeal. From what I can tell they make the, OEM for Subaru one way, the OEM replacement a different way.
I have called them for more info but I was sent to the inbox, with no return call.
I found someone else selling a new Excedy clutch that told me it had 6 springs???

Now that I think of it, even with the KEP set up I can feel some shutter (at times). This is what was prompting me to incorporate the pitch stop with the Suby trans.

I understand the STI is 2 - 3# less than the WRX ( 19# VS 22#) and no shutter problems. Getting it to fit a WRX is a bit of a task. There are mixed reviews on getting it to fit.
See here: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496150
I would have to send back everything I have but I am still thinking of doing just that... If I still have time.

Thinking with a car that is #1000 less than a WRX, I can trim some # of the stock WRX FW. I know, I may be nitpicking but shooting for the best fit. The 14# I have now, may be on the low but manageable side.
Thinking out loud, Less weight on a STI FW may be equal to a smaller OD WRX FW?

So, for the guys that are driving their Suby transed conversions.
I would like to know what FW and clutch they are using, if you feel the shutter and how you feel about it for street use.
Any thoughts welcome
TIA
Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.