Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey track rats!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
crash914
I am looking to replace my rear pads, what are you guys using? I think that I have old cool carbon on now. Any suggestions?
thanks, herb
campbellcj
I have Pagid Blacks up front and Pagid Orange in back. Seems to work well...
MJHanna
I run ftr capliers on the back so I don't think it will answere your concern. sad.gif But the cool carbon works well all the way around on my car. boldblue.gif
L8Apex
Mine look to be EBC Red's from the previous owner. Hawk Blue's are popular too.

Depending on what you are doing with the car, Open track, autoX, and daily driving + tracking, will help you decide on what pads to get. some need to be warmed up big time to work, so daily driving is no good for those. some have awsome cold weather bite, but bad when they get hot.
Gint
I put Porterfield R4's on The Brown Car front and rear. They don't require heat to be effective and the car stopped like nobody's business whether they were hot or cold. It was the best stock 4 cyl 914s I've ever driven in terms of stopping. In fact it was one of the best braking cars I've ever owned.

The only downside was the squeal on the street. If I were hard on the binders at the track, they never made a sound. But partial/slow braking on the street and they squealed like pigs.
Brad Roberts
Porterfield is just about everything I own.

They sell a R4S pad and a R4 pad. The R4 is a very aggressive street compound with less squeal.

B
crash914
I agree on the porterfield, I was running r4s on the front. lots of noise. I did have a friend of mine who put r4s all around on his supra and tore up all 4 rotors in 2 days....I haven't seen this on the 914 though.

I was just wondering if people mix the front and rear compounds or go with something like hawke blue all around....thanks for the info...herb
TimT
On my 911 I use Hawk blues up front, and on the rear some Ferodos that I have left from years ago,

Seems like I change fronts 3X to rears iun the 911

In the 914 I have Hawk blue all around. I like the hawk blue and will stick with them. Though some guy was trying to get me to use "cobalt" pads last time I was at the track.
ChrisFoley
I use KFP Magnum "blue" pads all around. I think they are the same as Cool Carbon, but the color coding is changed. They squeal on light braking, so not the best for a street car, but they stop the car great, cold or hot.
crash914
Ok, now we have a cool selection of pads, everyone has their favorite. Where do you buy them??? Most parts stores don't carry performance pads, so that leaves racers....thoughts?? driving.gif
seanery
mail order, or internet.

Tire Rack sells some brands in sticky compounds.
ChrisFoley
I order the KFPs from Windward Performance.
Gint
Porterfield R4 can be had from Rich at High Performance House(HPH).
seanery
If anyone knows racing 914's, my guess would be Rich!

I was at his shop 2 weeks ago and was amazed at the number of checkered flags he has acquired in his 914 racing career.

He was also very kind to show me around his warehouse and shop!
wow, if you need it, he's probably got it!!! (and got lots of it!)
Brad Roberts
Ha ha.. who showed you around ?

I havent ran anything but Cool Carbon and Porterfield and now I run nothing but Porterfield. Even in the tow vehicles. I have never driven a pad that was so aggressive in its stopping ability. They will wear out rotors faster.. but want do you want ??This is racing and it is expensive...and I want the car to stop for 20+ minutes.

B
seanery
OK, you showed me around!...and Rich joined us upstairs!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.