Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BOINK!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brando
So, i leave my hearing today. Go to the car, take the top off, and head for the exit. To my mistake I'm just passing the exit turnout and *clank* *scraaaaaape*. Ah shit. I pull into a free parking stall and wait for the other driver to pull in next to me. I see it's an elderly driver, quickly apologize and ask if she's okay (at first it looked like she had a stroke in her car!!!). She asks if there was any damage to her car. I look at the front fender and (DUN DUN DUN) her license plate bracket is broke. IPB Image

She asks if there's any damage to my car. To which I reply "uhm, let's see... oh, wow. yeah, insurance will probably want to total it". My door is a goner. Nice impression there. Rear driver's-side panel is toast (there's a bad dent right on the threshold! IPB Image), and it'd probably be in the neighborhood of maybe a thousand or so to have it fully repaired and parts replaced... thus totalling the car IPB Image

She said she didnt want to report it to insurance. I said "Okay, but let's get eachother's info in case we have any questions or it becomes more serious. She agreed, we exchanged info. So my boss is lookin for a new door... looks like my bodywork list just got longer! IPB Image
Rhodes71/914
Damn, Sorry to hear that man. At least it was just a parking lot accident and the lady didn't have a heart attack.
Randal
I know a "grey-haired" driver that has two 1975 doors for sale. Ok, how about "white-haired" driver?
Mark Henry
Yep there's more than a few "grey-haired" drivers on this forum... IPB Image
SLITS
Yep, from the "blue hair" crowd IPB Image I have 2 pairs of doors, but they are gonna be real expensive!
skline
Yeah, They would have been cheaper but the grey haired driver comment hurt many of us. Someone has to pay for that one. I have a pair of doors here too. I think mine are as much as Slits doors.
jimtab
No grey hair yet but plenty of grey beard....watch it! IPB Image
JoeSharp
YEAH
SLITS
Damn Joe, for a mild-mannered reporter that is one MEAN ASS WHUPPIN" image. And you picked the strongest part on a teener to use as a weapon. IPB Image
drew365
I'm real happy to have my hair greying. Beats no hair.
Good luck collecting from that lady Brando. Everytime I'm in a fender bender, no matter how obvious it is that the other person is at fault, the story always drastically changes the next day. A guy that ran into my rear quarter panel claimed I backed into him when my insurance company called. I carry a cheap camera in my truck now and immediately start taking pictures, even if we're blocking traffic.
MXMARK
Brando, bummer Mark
Brando
Come now... the gray-haired comment wasn't directed at you 914 owners. This lady was in her late 80s, easily.

My dad suggested that I get it all fixed, then send her a bill with a note (since she proclaimed heavily against contacting our insurance companies) and seeing if she'll pay it. IPB Image

If my other source fails... How what's a decent price to pay for a new door and fender? Yeah, i know that comment is prolly gonna cost me IPB Image
MattR
Replace the door and paint the rest of car to match... easy IPB Image

Joe, that pic is too funny....

IPB Image
rhodyguy
i sure hope this works out for you.....but, exchanging info and moving on is a very bad idea. her broken plate holder and you with potentialy thousands of dollors worth of damage. forget what you think you can do it for. i would NEVER get in an accident without calling the police. the incident report is a pretty important piece of paper. get a REAL repair estimate, i bet her tune changes. then contact the insurance company and get what you're owed.

kevin
RAR
Those of us who admired the 914s in our teens and twenties (when they were new), now have gray hair. Sorry, however, to hear about your doors.
Aaron Cox
joe... i resized it for your avatar IPB Image

just put this in where it says URL of avatar
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-...-1105065992.jpg
skline
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 6 2005, 06:46 PM)
joe... i resized it for your avatar IPB Image

just put this in where it says URL of avatar
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-...-1105065992.jpg

I like that picture. If he doesnt use it, I may. Dont mess with us old teeners!!! It's an a$$wooping you wont forget!!
Brando
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jan 6 2005, 06:38 PM)
i sure hope this works out for you.....but, exchanging info and moving on is a very bad idea. her broken plate holder and you with potentialy thousands of dollors worth of damage. forget what you think you can do it for. i would NEVER get in an accident without calling the police. the incident report is a pretty important piece of paper. get a REAL repair estimate, i bet her tune changes. then contact the insurance company and get what you're owed.

kevin

Don't worry kevin. I filed a claim earlier this evening. Explained the situation, what happened, etc...

The lady's insurance company was in Arizona, which I thought was odd. Isn't Arizona a not-at-fault state insurance wise... meaning one of the people has to admit fault? Eh, good thing I didn't, even with the other lady's insurance company.

The worst part is, I don't have C&C. it raises my monthly from $170 to something like $305. And that's with a $500 deductable. I don't know about you, but I sure don't want to have to pay $500 to have my car totalled, and to top it off... buying it back from insurance IPB Image

Insurance in CA is a fuckin' scam.
rhodyguy
perhaps howard can explain things to you. my impression is, no fault means each party's insurance co is responsible to their respective clients cars? IPB Image did the woman's car have arizona plates?

kevin
jimtab
QUOTE (Brando @ Jan 7 2005, 12:06 AM)

Insurance in CA is a fuckin' scam.

Insurance EVERYWHERE is a fucking scam, just look at the $$ they contribute to the politicos to see where the root of the problem is......my .02
Brando
More insruance garbage followup.

They want to place me at fault, for being "in the arterial through-way, leaving the parking lanes". What a crock. Of course I call my insurance co. when I get home and ... they're not in. Doubleyou-tee-eff, mate? IPB Image Left a long message, should get a reply by monday. Would it not be the fact that since I was already IN and almost ACROSS the lane when she hit me that I am not at fault? RAWR. IPB Image

Would it not be common sense, that since I was already almost (more than 50%) across the exit lane that she hit me, and I'm not at fault? Maybe they just want to assume that since she's supposedly been driving safely the last 30-somewad years without an accident and I've got 4 in the last 3 years that I should just automatically be at fault? That flies as well as a lead brick in my book. IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.