Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield rubber spacers.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9
I haven't installed a windshield in a 914 since my first one in 1987 and we didn't use the factory rubber spacers.

Well, it's time to put a windshield in 914RS and I ordered those two little rubber spacers from PP, but I don't know where they go.

Any pictures or good descriptions?
SLITS
From my understanding & watching, they are only to provide the spacing from the bottom of the cowl. They are for locating the position of the glass only and do not remain on the car.

But then, this could be bad advice.....
Series9
They don't stay on the car? Damn, I could have used chop sticks. $2 down the drain. IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE (914RS @ Jan 6 2005, 05:01 PM)
They don't stay on the car? Damn, I could have used chop sticks. $2 down the drain. IPB Image

yupp, you remove them once the buthyl (sp?) has hardened out. then put the chrome trim back on ...

i left mine in there because i don't have chrome trim anymore ...
IPB Image Andy
aircooledboy
As long as they don't interfer with the trim, no harm leaving them in place. I always leave them in if I can.
McMark
Andy, Butyl has no H. IPB Image IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE (McMark @ Jan 6 2005, 07:55 PM)
Andy, Butyl has no H. IPB Image IPB Image

yeah, i know, i made this mistake before, haven't i?

dunno where i get the H from, it's spelled "Butyl" in german, so i can't use that as an excuse ...
IPB Image Andy
mikey
Andy, Butyl has no H.  

Germans pronounce "th" like our t. That's why the Thames river is pronounced like it is.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (aircooledboy @ Jan 6 2005, 07:12 PM)
As long as they don't interfer with the trim, no harm leaving them in place. I always leave them in if I can.

IPB Image

I've never removed them after an install. I use two and put them about 16" or so from the lower corners. You want to make sure they center the glass in the frame. If it sits too high, shave them with a razor.

I paint the recessed area of the frame flat black, and I also coat the same area with urethane "primer", which makes for a better bond. It's not 100% neccesary, especially if the car really won't see rain.
Series9
QUOTE (9146986 @ Jan 6 2005, 10:10 PM)
.... especially if the car really won't see rain.

What are you saying? IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.