Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: 914 hits infamous car list
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxsterfan
http://autos.yahoo.com/news/9-infamous-car...-185802202.html

How dare they malign the 914? ar15.gif

balljoint
It says "undeserved" bad rep

No maligning, maybe you should check your guns at the door son.

smile.gif

1969-76 Porsche 914

Enthusiasts gave the 1969-76 Porsche 914 a lot of grief when it was new; and it got the cold shoulder from Porschephiles for decades. Conceived jointly by Volkswagen and Porsche, the 914 was sold in other markets as a Volkswagen—and its four-cylinder air-cooled VW power didn't help either—so it was widely accused of not being a 'real' Porsche. But the 914 has found a loyal following of its own, and 911 owners are no longer so dismissive (for many of them, there are now worse offenders wearing the Porsche badge).
DBCooper
I think that's actually pretty accurate.

shoguneagle
I totally agree with "balljoint" and "DBCooper". They give a complete description along with the "my other car is a Porsche".

Steve
7TPorsh
"Bob 1 day ago 0 1
914 Porsches were prone to burning when the fuel line broke spraying fuel over their exhaust manifolds. Towed more than a few of them as burned out hulks myself."
[u]

Did You get the VINs?
Mark Henry
If anyone disrespects your 914, just agree with them that it's a real POS and then make a complement of the wing on their Hyundai.

That... or put a cap in their ass.

smile.gif
Spoke
Seems pretty accurate description at the time of its roll-out.

I liked the styling at the time and even got to ride in one on several occasions as a 14 year old and thought it handled extremely well especially in the snow.

My car-knowledgeable friends though were more pessimistic of the car calling it a glorified-VW.
914bub
Interesting that the Honda Civic Del Sol made the list. I've always felt like those were a rip off of the 914,(styling wise, not mechanically).
7TPorsh
wow I've owned two cars on there plus the 914 I have now...my Trooper was awesome.
r_towle
Trooper, corvair, 914, exploder....
Trooper was turbo diesel....cool truck
anderssj
i've got two out of nine--I'm batting my weight. biggrin.gif

funny, the 914 and the Audi 5000CS quattro are two of my all-time favorites . . .
bzettner
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 24 2014, 05:33 PM) *

Trooper, corvair, 914, exploder....
Trooper was turbo diesel....cool truck

Funny, I called my wife's Explorer an EXPLODER too.... laugh.gif
r_towle
Had the audi also...

The exploder nickname is fitting....
saigon71
Cool article. My Dad had a Corvair - I remember it sitting in the garage for years as he tried to find time to work on it.

While I didn't get into 914's for an investment, I think we are in a good spot with our teeners. Interest in them keeps growing & there have been quite a few "potential new owner" posts recently here on 914 world.

beerchug.gif
johannes
"Conceived jointly by Volkswagen and Porsche" : Wrong
The 914 was conceived and designed by Porsche

" the 914 was sold in other markets as a Volkswagen" : Wrong
The 914 was sold in other markets as Volkswagen-Porsche
Steve Snyder
QUOTE(johannes @ Feb 25 2014, 07:20 AM) *

"Conceived jointly by Volkswagen and Porsche" : Wrong
The 914 was conceived and designed by Porsche

Yep... according to the December 2013 issue of Panorama, the 914 was designed by Porsche's Heinrich Klie, the same guy who designed Fuchs wheels.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.